CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i am currently transitioning and i need help

5 posters

Go down

i am currently transitioning and i need help Empty i am currently transitioning and i need help

Post by Dee15 21st July 2010, 3:45 pm

so i have been in the transitioning process for almost four months now i mainly just wear my hair in a bun which i hate i also have breakage...i have no idea what im doing i cant style my hair because i simply dont know how to,i dont even know what products to use...please give me some guidence/advice
Dee15
Dee15

Back to top Go down

i am currently transitioning and i need help Empty Re: i am currently transitioning and i need help

Post by Naturally Esq 21st July 2010, 5:22 pm

What type of hair do you have? What products are you using? What is your routine?

I have been transitioning since 9/09. I have 4a/b fine texture hair that loves protein.

I use only Giovanni Products that can be bought at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, CVS, Pharmaca, and health food stores. Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam and seal (root to tip) with castor oil or EVCO or Kimmaytube leave in. I use plait braid outs or Curlformers to style.

Always be sure to balance moisture and protein in your products: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

i am currently transitioning and i need help Empty Re: i am currently transitioning and i need help

Post by JossBella 21st July 2010, 6:18 pm

Dee15, Do you like rollersets? Although I'm currently in braids, I wear my hair in rollersets, bantu knot outs, and buns. I was in the same boat as you, never really styled my hair and didn't know JACK about doing it. The products I use are Suave Naturals for shampoo, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for CoWashing/conditioning or Suave Humectant for conditioner, and either Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner or Lustrasilk Shea and Mango deep conditioner both mixed with Olive oil for deep conditioning. All these conditioning products make my hair feel great and soft usually. I tried Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Shampoo (trial size thank goodness) and it made my hair feel like straw! You just have to experiment and figure out what works with your hair. For instance, using shea butter as a sealant works best with my hair, instead of moisturizer like some people.
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 23rd July 2010, 10:29 am

Hi Dee15,

Beautiful smile! You'll be alright! The women in CN forum take good care of each other by sharing all their wisdom. That said, I'll just point you in those ladies' direction since I'm still learning myself! LOL

For some ideas on things to do with your hair while you transition, here are the Curly Nikki posts on transitioning, with tips, hairdos, etc.: http://www.curlynikki.com/search/label/Transitioning%20Tips%20and%20Resources
Here is a great starter post by MariaG on transitioning, including links to sites for hairdos:
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/06/resource-for-newbies-and-transitioners.html

To stop the breakage:
- try to find hair accessories that won't pull out, snag, or break your hair. So no rubberbands unless you put them on loosely. Try all plastic hair clips and thick plastic hair pins which a gentler on your hair than metal (Goody Ouchless has lots)
- try to manipulate as little as possible by using satin scarves and pillow when you sleep and keeping the other touching to a minimum - combing, brushing, heat, or stretching.
- learn about balancing the protein and moisture in your hair like naturally esq said; I also liked: http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/03/moisture-issue-proteins-and-moisture.html Then try some methods to get more of what you need into your hair through conditioner, deep treatments, moisturizers, seals. There are a lot of threads on people's favorites and there are hundreds of different products we all use or create ourselves, but everyone pretty much has a conditioner, deep treatment, moisturizer for days you don't wash, and sealer.
- learn more about your hair vulnerabilities - it's easier to manipulate your hair when it is wet and has more conditioners with lots of slip, but your hair is also it's most vulnerable when it is wet. I've learned so much from reading through old posts by other transitioners, as well as Natural Haven. Here is a post on hair damage: http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/01/combing-damage.html
- then try to establish a regular routine - when it works, then stick with it.

When you get discouraged or bored, look at people's Fotki albums. You'll see all the gorgeous women and their journeys and you won't feel so alone.

HTH
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee15 23rd July 2010, 2:47 pm

@natural esq: my hair type is 4a and its very thick...i havnt even started looking for products yet im still doing some research but currently i use the roots of nature deep treatment conditioner its made with sea butter and green tea...i dont currently have a routine yet my mom use to do my hair and wash it every two weeks but she stopped and i dont what to do...

@jossbella: i dont know what rollersets are lol...the only hair style im used to are cornrows and my mom use to do that aswell basically i know nothing about hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@Gado-Gado Gal:THANK YOU! im defentily going to head out and get some of these hair accessories...i didnt know that about hair when its wet.

i really apperciate the protien articles i would always read about protien from other women but i wasnt really getting the whole concept and these articles has helped because i know what products to look for

THANK YOU ALL...i really needed this and I LEARNED ALOT =) from your replys
Dee15
Dee15

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 24th July 2010, 12:49 am

Congrats on your transition!

I also have thick hair, and I always work in sections when I shampoo/co-wash, condition and detangle. I also find it easier to detangle under the shower stream, with tons of conditioner on my hair.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by JossBella 24th July 2010, 1:36 am

Hey Dee15,
I know that this is all new to you and may seem like a lot to take in. Just take it a day at a time. I did A LOT of online research, that's how I learned more. Youtube vids and Curlynikki were my best friends in the beginning of my transition. But anywho, a roller set is when you take rollers, usually on wet or damp hair, and roll your hair and secure it (depending on the type of roller you use). You should use some kind of setting lotion/spray (I use Lottabody diluted with water that can be found at Walgreens or Sally's). Once your head is rolled, you can sit under the dryer until it dries, air dry it (this may be an all day thing depending on how much hair you have), or sit under the dryer and air dry the rest (my favorite). Then when you're all dry you just carefully unroll your hair, moisturize/seal it, and fluff it and separate the curls to your liking.
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down