CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weird Hair Breakage

4 posters

Go down

Weird Hair Breakage Empty Weird Hair Breakage

Post by DancingDee 20th July 2010, 12:13 am

Hello CN community,

I am a couple of weeks into transitioning long-term to being natural. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I just joined this curly community today a couple of minutes ago and I've been dying to have this question answered.

The center of my head is not tender, nor is it sensitive, but the growth rate is very very slow [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
. It does grow occasionally at spurts but at the moment it is just
rough and damaged. I've been conditioning it and it helps a little bit
but the results are not consistent for that area of the hair.

As
a college student and a dancer (unfortunately non-paid at the moment),
I like to find cheap but still effective products, and so far, the only
thing showing results is Dr. Miracles Hot Gro, which is a little pricey
but I don't know what else to do! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I would like advice on method or product to try that will work and
possibly fit my budget...any advice is good advice in my eyes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Product I'm using now:

• Garnier Sleek and Shine Leave-In
  • Soft Sheen Carson Strengthing Hair Lotion with Shea Butter and Green Tea
  • Herbal essence Shampoo << use a little once a week
  • Silk Elements Luxury Conditioner<< used for co-washes and after shampoo in the shower
I no longer use any heat in my hair and limit my use of combs and brushes, but the center of my head is still stubborn. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DancingDee
DancingDee

Back to top Go down

Weird Hair Breakage Empty Re: Weird Hair Breakage

Post by Ebbz 20th July 2010, 12:21 am

The step you are missing is deep conditioning. Transitioners should deep condition their hair at least once a week to minimize breakage and add extra moisture to the hair.

Some cheap DCs are:
Lustrasilk Cholesterols (this is what i use)
Lekair Cholesterol
Queen Helene Cholesterol
Organics Hair Mayonnaise
Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner(a little more expensive than the others but has great reviews)

You should also be sealing your hair after you use your hair lotion or whatever is the last product you use for the day with some type of oil. A cheap oil that I use is Africa's Best Herbal Oil. You can get it for $1 and some change at Walmart. You can also use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Carrot Oil, Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 20th July 2010, 12:35 am

I'd also add that BB oil moisturizer (its a white bottle with pink writing, can't remember the right name) makes a great moisturizer that softens hair very well, and it costs about $3-$4. Also shea butter is a great sealant too (softens hair very well), you can find it for reasonable amounts on various websites. With both a little goes a long way, so they'll last
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 20th July 2010, 12:48 am

Ms.Fenty wrote:I'd also add that BB oil moisturizer (its a white bottle with pink writing, can't remember the right name) makes a great moisturizer that softens hair very well, and it costs about $3-$4. Also shea butter is a great sealant too (softens hair very well), you can find it for reasonable amounts on various websites. With both a little goes a long way, so they'll last

I used BB Oil Moisturizer while I was transitioning and loved it. I use shea butter now and I buy it for $5 at my local beauty supply store (unrefined shea butter).
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 20th July 2010, 12:51 am

I am also a college studet so I can relate.

I am 8 months into transition. Just like someone said: use a deep conditioner. I don't know how cheap you need but I like IC Fantasia deep treatment for 5 dollars or so. If you really need dirt cheap products just take some olive oil, an egg, some yogurt or whole milk, mix with some cheapy conditioner and maybe some honey. There's your deep treatment right there

And I know what you mean about your hair. The crown of the hair usually is the coarsest. It is there to protect our head/brain because that is where the sun shines directly on it. that part of my hair mattes the quickest. Make sure that area is combed out well. Comb with wide tooth comb when wet or when there is conditioner. After conditioner is out put in leave in, then use a denman like brus and comb it out.

I say try the deep conditioners. And maybe do some hot oil treatments too. Take olive and/or coconut oil and put it on your head under a shower cap, then wrap a head scarf on it (to make your head hot). leave that in for like an hour.

If that doesnt work then who knows maybe you need a protein treatment. To make a proetein treatment just use the egg and whole milk or yogurt and cheapy conditioner. Take out the honey and oil. My fav protein treatment is IC super concentrated reconstructor. Detangles the hair great.

Hope I helped. Maybe you can try this "natural relaxer" on that part of your hair?
http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/transitioning-f7/a-natural-relaxer-t5025.htm

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingDee 20th July 2010, 5:34 pm

Thanks Ladies this was soo informative and so helpful!!

Another thing I tried that is cheap and tend to work well is Henna and Placenta. It comes in a brown packet and is about $1 anywhere you go.
I used to use this once a month but that was with relaxed hair. Now that I'm transitioning, I'm guessing I should do that more.

OH! also I have to wash my hair a lot because I work out a lot during the week, and unfortunately the water in my apartment is really hard water, what should i do?
DancingDee
DancingDee

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 20th July 2010, 6:13 pm

Hmm hard water. i have hard water in my home since we have well water. Hard water makes the scales on your hair stand up making it feel rough and tangly. Also it is more difficult to wash the soap out and soap seeps into your hair. And the minerals in the hard water attach calcium to your hair making your hair have buildup.

If you can't get a shower head that will balance the ph (it's like 70 to 100 dollars), I suggest buying a clarifying shampoo and use it once a week. Make sure you deep condition afterwards. I use suave clarifying shampoo for 1 to 2 bucks

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingDee 20th July 2010, 11:31 pm

krys315 wrote:Hmm hard water. i have hard water in my home since we have well water. Hard water makes the scales on your hair stand up making it feel rough and tangly. Also it is more difficult to wash the soap out and soap seeps into your hair. And the minerals in the hard water attach calcium to your hair making your hair have buildup.

If you can't get a shower head that will balance the ph (it's like 70 to 100 dollars), I suggest buying a clarifying shampoo and use it once a week. Make sure you deep condition afterwards. I use suave clarifying shampoo for 1 to 2 bucks

i dont think i can afford the shower head at the moment but i think using a clarifying shampoo might be helpful definitely. As well as deep conditioning which I didn't do as often before but now I know to do more.
DancingDee
DancingDee

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 21st July 2010, 12:02 am

I can't afford that either! haha and yeah definitely need to deep condition, but more so when clarifying because it strips your hair of anything that was on it including good oils out hair needs. SO just be wary of that

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingDee 21st July 2010, 5:23 pm

Thanks Krys315! Smile
DancingDee
DancingDee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down