CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair breakage

2 posters

Go down

Hair breakage Empty Hair breakage

Post by naturallynola 20th September 2010, 10:32 am

Hi everybody, I am new to the forum. I have been transitioning for 7 months. My problem is I am seeing hair breakage primarily in the crown area. I have noticed a little at the hairline around my face (split strands, but not the ends). Here is a little of my routine so maybe someone has ideas. I wash with a moisturing shampoo or cowash about every 5 days.I follow with a conditioner, Mizani Mosifusion and leave it on about 30 minutes for now until its gone. I have Shea Moisture Masque that I will start using today when I wash. I don't comb my hair unless its wet. I detangle from the ends, but I also use KT so no tangle issues once I work in end my hair. I then use KKKC or since this weekend Curls Brulee and Curls Goddess gel for styling. I have been wearing braidouts (plait method), but prior I was twisting for 6 months and wearing twistouts. I wash and condition while in the shower, but only last 2 washes (know better, do better as I say). After the plaiting, I sit under the dryer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. I am very prone to catching a cold with wet hair. I use EVOO prepoo about every 2 weeks. I use a little 100% shea butter and 100% coconut oil daily and Jane Carter leave-in for moisture or spritz with some distilled water daily. My hair is very soft, well-moisturized always. It feels great, except the crown, which feels like grass.It is obviously broken off in that area. Much shorter than my hair everywhere else. I do have to plait at night to get good style results the next day. I haven't been able to get 3 or more day hair and it look presentable in my opinion. I have not used protein conditioners, should I? Could my hair be over-conditioned? Could the twisting for 6 months have contributed to breakage? Should I try flexirod set or similar styles that will hopefully hold longer to give the twisting/braiding a break? Since the crown is the very top, could sitting under the dryer be the problem since it is a very exposed area. I don't use any type of thermal protectant because I thought that was only with blow drying, which I never do. I don't use curling irons, flat irons or any other heat, except the stand alone dryer.

Well, I hope someone can help.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Hair breakage Empty Re: Hair breakage

Post by LittleOne 28th September 2010, 3:12 pm

I was thinking that the dryer was the problem while I was reading your post, glad you mentioned that at the end. 1 to 1.5 hrs is a very long time to be under the dryer without heat protection. Your hair already told you the answer. It is breaking where it gets the most heat! After you plait your hair, spray it all over with a heat protectant. Any "shine spray" that contains silicone will work. Air dry for as long as possible before you sit under the dryer and make sure you keep the setting on medium or (preferably) low.

Fyi - If you are "no cones" you have to be "no heat", otherwise breakage is inevitable. If you want your hair to recover from the damage at the crown, you may want to skip the heat all together for a while. Good luck!
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 28th September 2010, 5:16 pm

Little One thanks a lot for your insight. I am new to this and learning. I was happy to finally see a perspective from someone. Unfortunately, no dryer is not an option for me. I am prone to catching colds under a-c conditions and under cool-cold weather conditions, which we are having a little cooler temps now. Do you have any personal knowledge or feedback on more natural heat protectants or at least ones that are true to protecting from damage. Again, I appreciate your response.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 28th September 2010, 6:29 pm

You're very welcome. Smile

Natural products are only effective if we only subject our hair to natural influences. Exposing your hair to heat over 100 degrees for over an hour is not natural. I don't mean that in a bad way. I just mean that you wouldn't sit in the hot sun for that long unless you were wearing sunblock. And even then...it's not good. The same logic applies to your hair.

I know people have tried grapeseed oil as a natural heat protectant. Sunflower oil would also be an option. Mineral oil would actually work better than both of those, but obviously we don't want to use that.

I personally would never trust an oil to protect my hair. Even though they do technically offer a little heat protection, the heat still gets through much faster than with a silicone (or polyquat) product.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 28th September 2010, 9:07 pm

Thanks again LittleOne. I have already started my search for the thermal protectant! I think I will have to move to LA and I could probably get away with no hair dryer for these thick locks of mine lol!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 30th September 2010, 3:26 am

No problem!

It sprinkled tonight in LA, if you can believe that. 90 degrees during the day and then rain at night. What is this Atlanta?? It was weird.

I really like serums for heat protection. My favorites are Mixed Chicks Hair Silk, CHI Silk Infusion, and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. There are lots of similar formulas on the market though. I'm sure whatever you choose will work fine.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 30th September 2010, 8:51 am

Thanks for sharing those. I was looking at Chi Silk Fusion on Amazon, got ready to check out and the shipping was outrageous! So, I will pick up some locally today to do my weekly wash. On a side note, funny you mentioned ATL, I live in one of the burbs for about 4 1/2 yrs. I have mainly lived in southern states and the weather in the south is quite erratic and certainly makes for extra hair challenges

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down