Hair Breakage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hair Breakage

Post by NhappyJackie on 17th February 2011, 1:32 pm

I am starting to belive that breakage is a natural part of our hair's lifecycle. While I need to do more research on it, here is what I've noticed about my hair. I wear protective styles 75% of the time. And I moisturize very often. My hair looks and feels very healthy, but lately whenever I detangle, once a month, I notice a small amount of breakage. Some strands are long..about half the length of my hair, and other are very short. The ends are not split or wirey looking, but it is definitley breakage. Contrary to that...I am still retaining length. My hair doesn't look thin or "see through" at all, but I do have breakage.
I belive breakage is a way for our hair to rid itself of weak ends. Now, this does not go for excessive breakage. Excessive breakage is when you see hair on your shirt collar, the pillow, the car headrest...ect. Noticing little hair all over the place would definitley alarm me, but since it only occurs while detangling (even with my fingers), I believe it is just weak hair that needs to go. With curly hair it can be difficult to tell if it is broken hair or shed hair. That's why I started finger detangling so I can look at the strands as I run my fingers through my hair and compare them. (Sidenote) Finger detangling has actually allowed me to learn more information about my hair also.

How do you all feel about breakage? I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks. I will do more research on it when I get a chance.
NhappyJackie

View user profile http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Re: Hair Breakage

Post by cagebird on 17th February 2011, 2:31 pm

This is the first time I have seen a topic about breakage that wasn't negative. Honestly, I don't think breakage is natural, but if you find any facts to support this I will be more than happy.
cagebird

View user profile http://www.darkerthanbrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola on 17th February 2011, 2:45 pm

I can see breakage being natural if your hair is so long(meaning old) that it breaks from age. And I mean 10 or 15 years old hair, not 2-3 year old hair.

If it's younger than that, then there may be some problem somewhere.

I would be very intersted to see if there are any other natural reasons why hair would break as well.

Aunt_Lola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie on 17th February 2011, 11:43 pm

Ok, so I've done a very small amount of research...just over the internet..nothing intense. But I found this site: http://www.suite101.com/content/hair-breakage-faqs-a89634

Here is the main point of the article:
What Causes Hair Breakage?
There are numerous factors. One major culprit is dry, over-processed hair. Improper hair care, particularly for relaxed hair, causes hair breakage. Poor nutrition and illness is another hair breakage culprit.

How Can I Cure Breakage?
The best “cure” is prevention. Sadly, there is no miracle cure for hair breakage. Bonner states that “If your hair has been over processed or suffered severe heat damage, the only thing conditioners can do is help stave off the inevitable – yes, cutting or a serious trim... if your hair is shot and you continue to abuse it – with heated styling appliances, chemicals, permanent coloring – conditioners won’t save it.”

And then it goes on to ways of preventing breakage. I've actually been following these steps since the first of the year....and I do admit. The amount of breakage I saw during my last detangling session was much less than during the session before it. So maybe my hair has been doing this all along and I didn't know it. Or it could've been the result of a mohawk I wore for about 4 days in which my banana clip kept popping off...right at the crown. Hhmmm!!! I guess I'm trying to convince myself I don't have an issue right now.

My plan: I will wear my current style for about 6 weeks (micro twist). Moisturize daily, get it off my shoulders, and no "tight" styling. After my next detangling session I will report back on if I noticed more breakage.

Thanks for chiming in ladies!!!

Very Happy Very Happy
NhappyJackie

View user profile http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top