CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Breakage

3 posters

Go down

Hair Breakage Empty Hair Breakage

Post by mizcreativelyme 19th May 2010, 12:06 am

Does anyone have problems with hair breakage in the middle area of their head/low crown area? This has ALWAYS been my problem area pre-natural and I was hoping that [amongst all the other positives] of going natural/chemical-free, this issue would end. Yet I am still experiencing problems in this area. I have not worn any styles that would put stress on that area of my head/hair (i.e. pulling, tugging, etc.) and the only time I manipulate my hair is in the mornings for maybe five minutes for moisturizing and styling. Any suggestions on what I could do to stop the reoccurring breakage?

Thanks Curlies!
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Hair Breakage Empty Re: Hair Breakage

Post by VonAngel 19th May 2010, 12:30 am

Ugh...welcome to my world!! I've always had the crown breakage issue, more so recently b/c I rock my fro too often. What I started doing was babying that area more (i.e. slower/extra gentle detangling, extra moisture & conditioning, more protective styling). The crown is the most exposed part of my head, especially when I'm getting in & out of the car. It too often scraps the inside roof and pops my hair. The crown also has the kinkiest hair on my head. So, I now take extra care of that area and not stretch my hair so much. Wearing it shorter helps to reduce stress that elements place on my hair.
VonAngel
VonAngel

http://angeliquethenovelist.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 19th May 2010, 8:13 am

Thanks so much for your help Von. I did not know that wearing my hair "free form" could cause breakage there since I'm not putting any stress on that area. That is the thickest area of my head too. I'm trying to come up with protective styles that suit my one yr-curly fro length. Not many braided/twisted protective styles that I can do right now without the styles coming out looking like a little kid or something. Although I am sure it would help with the breakage issue. Not sure what to do and I don't want to cut it all off to the length of the breakage time and time again (as I did in the past when it was relaxed). Not sure what to do [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by VonAngel 19th May 2010, 11:18 am

I know what you mean b/c that's exactly why I always wore my fro; my hair wasn't at a length I felt comfortable wearing in other styles (I'm just not a twist gal). More than likely, your breakage is primarily due to the courseness of your hair at the crown. For me, when I rocked my fro last year, I would always pick it gently to achieved a desired look...until I reached the crown, where I would get a little...rough. It was never my intent to be that way, but that sucker always wanted to test me. From the manipulation to exposing my hair 7 days a week, my hair at the crown broke to half the length of the rest of my hair. This year, I vowed to focus more on protecting my hair. My #1 protective styling of choice is sew-ins. It's not every woman's cup of tea, but I refer to it as my saving grace. Until my next installment, I'm trying different styles incorporating cornrows. (Sadly, rocking all cornrows is not an option @ my job; another story for another day).

While you're toying the idea of different protective styles, in the meantime, try "babying" that area more. For the crown, try deep conditioning, EXTRA moisture, NO dry combing or picking, and massaging the scalp, preferably w/ oil (peppermint is my fav). I don't know how you wear your fro, but for me, I now detangle and cornrow when wet; loosen only when completely dry; use a wide-tooth comb as a loose pick (never combing from root first, holding down hair @ the roots while fluffing the rest w/ the comb) to achieve the desired fro look (hair is stretched, so the comb won't put much stress on my hair, but I'm still gentle); and when I get to the crown, I just finger comb/pick that area. It's the crown, so it just needs a light fluff to that area for the fro look. It's more detailed than that, but you get my drift.

Yes, it's a LOT of work, but that's what ya get w/ rocking a natural 4b. I'm ok w/ that tho b/c I don't mind spending hours on my hair once a week (usually a Friday right after work or on a Saturday when I have nothing to do). The other days, I just cornrow at night (takes minutes), tie that sucker up, and I'm out.
VonAngel
VonAngel

http://angeliquethenovelist.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 19th May 2010, 11:37 am

I've been experiencing some breakage *sigh* I'm not sure if its because of a change in medication, me slacking with my multi-vitamin, or if I'm using too much or not enough protein. All of which I know I've done. I've been playing with the protein as well.

I'm not a twister at all so protective styles don't work for me. Even when I wear a ponytail I feel like its damaging to my hair. Right now I'm moisturizing and sealing morning and night. I know that the top of my head is thin spot. Just behind that is my coarsest part of my hair and the part that gives me the most problem detangling. And this is the area that I try to focus on when moisturizing.

I would suggest that you make sure you have taken care of any fairy knots as that can be a cause of breakage. And then bump up your moisturizing and sealing.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down