CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a little confused about carrier oils, specifically Olive Oil.

4 posters

Go down

I'm a little confused about carrier oils, specifically Olive Oil. Empty I'm a little confused about carrier oils, specifically Olive Oil.

Post by JazmineB 19th July 2010, 12:14 am

I hear people say they use olive oil to deep condition, because it moisturizes their hair. But then I hear other people say it only seals in moisture, and is NOT a moisturizer. I'm so confused. I was mixing extra virgin olive oil 50-50 with my leave in conditioner to make it more moisturizing, but I don't know if I am using it right. I'm afraid that if it only seals in moisture, by mixing it with my leave in, the leave in won't penetrate my hair shafts like it should. Please help Smile
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

I'm a little confused about carrier oils, specifically Olive Oil. Empty Re: I'm a little confused about carrier oils, specifically Olive Oil.

Post by JazmineB 19th July 2010, 4:37 am

Thanks so much Naturally Esq! I found exactly what I was looking for in the last link, and it confirmed my belief. I'll just stick to pure conditioner, THEN oil from now on. Very Happy
There is no point of coating my hair to look shiny without moisturizing it first.

So I guess olive oil only moisturizes when heat is involved? (deep conditioning) That is still okay to do, right?
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

I'm a little confused about carrier oils, specifically Olive Oil. Empty Re: I'm a little confused about carrier oils, specifically Olive Oil.

Post by Naturally Esq 19th July 2010, 4:53 am

Yes, as far as I know it is still ok. Have you tried the Kimmaytube Leave In Mixture?
Her recipe calls for:
1 oz Knot Today Leave-In (You can use your regular Leave In)
2 tablespoons of (Whole leaf version) Aloe Vera Juice with a pH 4.0 or 4.5
2 teaspoons of Castor Oil
2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil (I used EVCO)
Mix well.

It really helps to keep your hair moist without feeling oily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXi2k4cFFhI

Glad that I could help.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 19th July 2010, 7:04 am

Thanks! No, I have never tried that. I just use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner for leave in and style with Shea butter. Thanks for the recipe though
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 23rd July 2010, 12:52 pm

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/ has a lot of posts about oil and conditioner.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalHairYes2009 23rd July 2010, 3:18 pm

Also when you try to leave in conditioner, I would recommend getting the PH strips off of Kimmaytube's website as well. I brought them his past Monday and it came in Wednesday (21st). Once I get all of the ingredients for the recipe I will use my PH strips I brought from her. I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!

NaturalHairYes2009

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 24th July 2010, 3:14 am

Thanks guys
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down