CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confused about butters and oils being moisturizing

4 posters

Go down

Confused about butters and oils being moisturizing Empty Confused about butters and oils being moisturizing

Post by Free2Be 26th May 2010, 12:18 pm

Question. I cannot find the original thread where this was explained, but IIRC, the general consensus was that butters and oils are sealants, not moisturizers...but I may be wrong.

In any case, I'm asking because I'm checking out new products for moisture and the descriptions say the butters/oils make the product a moisturizing one, i.e. Darcy's Botanicals is one, Bee Mine, etc.

Can anyone help me out on this? I just want to be certain I'm truly buying a moisturizer since a good moisturizer is missing in my product line-up. Thanks!

*Or does a leave-in conditioner or just any conditioner left in the hair work as a moisturizer? When I think moisture I'm thinking of something the consistency of a hair lotion/milk, not a butter/oil, but again, I may be misinformed.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Confused about butters and oils being moisturizing Empty Re: Confused about butters and oils being moisturizing

Post by EagerCurler 26th May 2010, 1:53 pm

I have the same issue. I appreciate this post. I am 5 months in to my transition and I have been leaving in some conditioner when I cowash, continue with a moisturizing currently a mix I made with garnier frutius sleek and shine leave in with melted shea butter and EVOO. Then I take more EVOO abt a tablespoon to seal...

IDK hope I am doing the right thing.
EagerCurler
EagerCurler

Back to top Go down

Confused about butters and oils being moisturizing Empty Re: Confused about butters and oils being moisturizing

Post by dajewel 26th May 2010, 7:13 pm

it depends on the formulation. if it has water or aloe vera, then it is a moisturizing conditioner. even as a moisturizing conditioning, the product can be a sealant (due to homeostasis). if it has no water or aloe vera, then it is a conditioning agent that can be used to seal. hth
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 15th June 2010, 9:38 pm

would cantu shea butter leave in conditioner be considered a moisturizer?
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down