CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**Confused** question about sealing ends with shea butter and/or oils?

+3
whimsy
Lynnieluve
iculukin
7 posters

Go down

**Confused** question about sealing ends with shea butter and/or oils? Empty **Confused** question about sealing ends with shea butter and/or oils?

Post by iculukin 31st August 2010, 10:27 pm

Okay so I'm working on keeping my hair moisturized I was told to seal with oils or Shea butter. But I don't wash my hair everyday so is my hair sealed until I shampoo? Cause I was told that if you add oils Shea butter before my moisturizer the moisturizer will not absorb in my hair... is this also true for oils placed on hair the day before? I can still feel the remnants of Shea butter days after initial day of applying it... so if I apply water spritz is it as effective after having oils in prior days... yes same question reworded...I'm am weird like that!!????
iculukin
iculukin

Back to top Go down

**Confused** question about sealing ends with shea butter and/or oils? Empty Re: **Confused** question about sealing ends with shea butter and/or oils?

Post by Lynnieluve 31st August 2010, 11:09 pm

Here's what I do

On wash day, after I rinse out my deep conditioner, I apply my leave in, oil, then a moisturizer....usually my shea butter mix or a product with shea butter in it (any moisturizer will work).

About 2 or 3 days, after wash day, I apply a spritz (homemade or product) then seal with a light oil (coconut or jojoba). Depending on how my ends feel/look, I may apply more shea butter to them.

I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

**Confused** question about sealing ends with shea butter and/or oils? Empty Re: **Confused** question about sealing ends with shea butter and/or oils?

Post by iculukin 1st September 2010, 1:53 pm

Thanks I'm gonna try this!!
iculukin
iculukin

Back to top Go down

Post by whimsy 3rd September 2010, 10:57 am

I moisturize and then seal every few days. Even if my ends still have trace remnant feeling of the moisturizer I used a few days before.
whimsy
whimsy

http://www.longnaturalhair.info

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 22nd December 2010, 3:33 pm

Thanks,thishelps
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 22nd December 2010, 4:35 pm

I was confused about this too, until I read an article about it.

Oils and butters do not completely block the flow of water from coming in and out of your hair, it only slows it down. So water can (and does) escape from your hair even when you have "sealed" it but the rate at which it does is significantly lower than if you had not sealed your hair.

Likewise, your hair can still be refreshed with water even though that barrier is in place. Also, the natural elements your hair is faced with (sun, wind, rubbing against fabric, pillows etc..) can rub off some of the oil. This is why Lynnieluv (and many others) re-moisturize their hair every couple of days and seal again with an oil or butter.

HTH!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 22nd December 2010, 4:45 pm

yep, I do the same. I rewet my hair now about every other day or so and reapply my leave in and oil or shea to seal. I was confused about that too but you'd have to imagine that some of that oil/shea does wear off eventually. So even if you think it's still all good, I would redo this anyway. Just to be on the safe side and to assure your hair is getting all the mositure it needs. Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aylexgetxit 27th December 2010, 3:46 pm

So shea butter is a sealant and not a moisturizer? (still a little confused)
aylexgetxit
aylexgetxit

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 27th December 2010, 5:34 pm

aylexgetxit wrote:So shea butter is a sealant and not a moisturizer? (still a little confused)

Correct. Shea butter is an emollient: it coats the hair with a protective covering adding shine and protecting from water loss. People sometimes interchange emollients and moisturizers because they have similar effects on the skin but water is the only thing that can moisturize your hair. Shea butter without water added first = dry, yucky looking hair.

In practical terms your hair routine should be (in this order)
1) Apply a moisturizer (WATER!!)
2) Apply a sealant
3) Apply a styling product

HTH!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by aylexgetxit 27th December 2010, 5:59 pm

Yes, that helped! Thanks!
aylexgetxit
aylexgetxit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down