CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It was HER idea.....

4 posters

Go down

It was HER idea..... Empty It was HER idea.....

Post by Bree.Bae. 13th July 2010, 8:09 pm

I am 15. I am transitioning. I have been for like almost 8 months now. It was my moms idea not to get perms anymore and i agreeded. At first, since i didnt now any better, i was adding major heat to my hair to get it flat. I thought it looked nice and my mom thought so too. But now since its the summer and i've done my research, she doesnt really think that its....a good idea, (so to speak) Like she doesnt want it curly, because she thinks it will look like "a lion's mane" (her words) . I tried to explain to her that this is still a personal decision, but she doesnt quite understand. Like she doesnt want me to cut it so its all natural, or wear my hair curly, Help me PLEASE! It was HER idea..... Icon_neutral
Bree.Bae.
Bree.Bae.

Back to top Go down

It was HER idea..... Empty Re: It was HER idea.....

Post by Bun_Ana 13th July 2010, 9:22 pm

I, personally, love my "lion's mane" hair days. It was HER idea..... Icon_smile

I can relate. My mom, who is Borinquena (P.R.) naturally has very loosely wavy hair (like 2a) so she always had my hair straightened to be, well, more like hers. So after transitioning for a year (while still straightening my hair) and begging her to let me cut it (she refused), I butchered my hair myself! After that, she really had no choice but to accept my hair as it was.

Now I'm not saying to just start hackin' your hair off ( It was HER idea..... Icon_pirat ), but when I did, it made my mother take me seriously about going natural. So I suggest you sit down with your mother and explain to her that this is something you're serious about and really want to do. Make her take you seriously.

*side note: My mom still prefers the more "wet" look.
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

http://bunanamarie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bree.Bae. 13th July 2010, 9:53 pm

Thank you sooo much. That helped alot.
Bree.Bae.
Bree.Bae.

Back to top Go down

Post by EshaQ 13th July 2010, 10:06 pm

I definitely agree with Bun_Ana, When I was about 16 I started wearing my hair in it's natural curly state. At that point I hadn't had a relaxer in over a year and I proudly rocked a big curly afro. Some people at my school loved it b/c it wasn't common to see a black girl with curly hair (3cish) in my area, but my mom wasn't too fond of the idea. For my senior prom I went to a new hairdresser who was definitely pro-relaxers, especially to make my curls more manageable.

Looking back on it now, I regret getting that relaxer because I no longer had my gorgeous curls and had to keep getting them to make my hair look nice. Now that I'm starting all over again at 19, I have found it easier to deal with my mom's opinion of my hair, because after all it is MY HAIR! lol

I think you should really decide what all of your motives for going natural are (for yourself) and then lay it all out on the table to explain that although it was her idea to start with, this is something you want to do for yourself. Lion's mane and all It was HER idea..... Icon_biggrin
EshaQ
EshaQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Bree.Bae. 14th July 2010, 7:53 pm

I tried that today and she then said she didnt know were i was coming from.
like, i would have to but heat to it and stuff like that......and that it was just look like an "afro puff"

then my dad said that i wanted to look like the "Africans"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. this is hard. but i want to do it..... It was HER idea..... Icon_sad
Bree.Bae.
Bree.Bae.

Back to top Go down

Post by EshaQ 19th July 2010, 7:22 pm

That's a tough one, i guess in that case you'll just have to go against the grain a little and simply do you. Maybe when they see that you aren't going to change your hair they will come to accept it eventually. Good Luck It was HER idea..... Icon_smile
EshaQ
EshaQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Bun_Ana 19th July 2010, 8:11 pm

^^I agree. Even though it maybe kinda sneeky, (and I was grounded for a while after doing it) cutting my hair was still a very liberating experience. And later, my mom even apologized for getting so upset about it.
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

http://bunanamarie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 19th July 2010, 11:15 pm

My mom didn't think I should have gone natural but that's because she figured I'm lazy and I wouldn't be able to do the work. Keep doing what you're doing. We're young, they expect us to flake out.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bree.Bae. 26th July 2010, 4:52 pm

well good news.
im gettin it cut on wednesday......yeah thanks for all the advice it helped
Bree.Bae.
Bree.Bae.

Back to top Go down

Post by EshaQ 26th July 2010, 5:04 pm

Congrats girl!!!
I'm glad you found what works for you! It was HER idea..... 678474
EshaQ
EshaQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down