CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair

+17
BeautifullyFree
snappynappy
Armywife
ChiChi10
DarlingCocoa
naturallydestined
divadr175
afroness
NubieNatty
CocoEuro
natural83
sweetdrk1
ChrsLvsBks
NikG20
Erica5417
dajewel
AfrikanLatina
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair Empty Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th November 2009, 3:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Interesting video. Your thoughts?

Last edited by AfrikanLatina on 14th November 2009, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair Empty Re: Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair

Post by dajewel 14th November 2009, 4:26 pm

do i just copy and past the video?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair Empty Re: Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th November 2009, 4:28 pm

u can just click on it or if your browser is like mine right click and open in a new tab.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 14th November 2009, 4:34 pm

I used to relax my hair every 4 weeks and then I would blow dry and flat iron everyday Shocked

Now I know why my hair always reached a certain length and stopped.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 14th November 2009, 4:36 pm

ok, forget about the cultural and socioeconomic contexts of relaxed vs. natural. if anything, this video looks at the process from a scientific, unbiased point of view!!!! i appreciate the vivid visual of why you should not relax your hair. thank you for sharing with us!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th November 2009, 4:44 pm

If that doesn't open our relaxed sistas eyes I don't know what will. Ditto to what you said dajewel. And your very welcome.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 14th November 2009, 4:52 pm

Wow! Great vid. I just read on another forum a mom asking for advice because she relaxed her 20 month old's hair, she asked if her hair was damaged, I will have to pass the video on to her.

I pretty much knew how damaging a flat iron is but cooking an egg? Wow.

When I used to dye my hair it was horribly damaged. I did it often though, and I would bleach it before I dyed it. I remember one time (teen years) my head was actually smoking!! It was crazy. It would come out in chunks. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair Empty Response to Dr. Oz Video

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th November 2009, 5:57 pm

@NikG20, a relaxer on a 20 mo. old, wow [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I appreciated the video. Most will say that the lye is an overdramatization or they use no lye. My thoughts are chemicals are damaging period.

The flat iron and protein was something I did not consider.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 14th November 2009, 6:03 pm

Yeah. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 14th November 2009, 6:26 pm

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 14th November 2009, 6:38 pm

First of all, let me just say that I loooooove Dr. Oz! He is always on point and breaks everything down to a tee! So glad that he has his own show now!

But yes, this video was very interesting! Im so happy that I don't use heat on my hair like that! I just emailed the clip to a ton of my friends, some of whom I think want to go natural, but are scared! Maybe this will open their eyes!!!!

@AfrikanLatina Thanks sooo much for posting this!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 14th November 2009, 7:23 pm

NikG20 wrote:Wow! Great vid. I just read on another forum a mom asking for advice because she relaxed her 20 month old's hair, she asked if her hair was damaged, I will have to pass the video on to her.

When I used to dye my hair it was horribly damaged. I did it often though, and I would bleach it before I dyed it. I remember one time (teen years) my head was actually smoking!! It was crazy. It would come out in chunks. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OMGoodness! 20 months old! Poor Baby!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th November 2009, 9:44 pm

How "BAD"(thinking from the mothers mindset) can a 20 month old babys hair be that you feel you have to relax it? That is beyond ridiculous! Poor baby indeed!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 14th November 2009, 10:30 pm

i never had problem with healthy hair and growth with a perm, however i've had a perm since i was like 10 so im curious to what my hair is like in its natural state! however, perming a baby's hair, ridiculous!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by afroness 15th November 2009, 4:00 am

NikG20 wrote:Wow! Great vid. I just read on another forum a mom asking for advice because she relaxed her 20 month old's hair, she asked if her hair was damaged, I will have to pass the video on to her.

OMG!! that is so bad of that Mom, I mean,WHY??? I don't even use store bought soaps on my babies skin, because they r all so harsh, I would, could not do that to a 20 month old child. Shame on her [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
afroness
afroness

Back to top Go down

Post by divadr175 15th November 2009, 8:39 am

Thanks for the link. I'm so glad I was too lazy to flat iron my hair after relaxing it.
divadr175
divadr175

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 17th November 2009, 2:04 pm

Thanks! Very informative vid!
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by DarlingCocoa 17th November 2009, 10:58 pm

My aunt just came to visit from out of town and her last relaxer damaged her scalp so bad that she is now 45% bald, I felt so bad that this is what it took for her to get away from the lye and so happy that me, my mother, and my sister got away from it before the same couldve happened to us.
DarlingCocoa
DarlingCocoa

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 17th November 2009, 11:07 pm

Oh that is so sad @cocoavixen....was the relaxer left on or not rinsed out? I'm so happy I was never burned by the creamy crack...well at least not my entire head. Ive had a couple of small scabs but even then I didnt let it go. Like you said I'm glad I got away from it before that happened to me because it could've been any of us.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiChi10 19th November 2009, 3:28 pm

That was lye correct? What about "no-lye" relaxers? Someone could always write that video off because of that.
ChiChi10
ChiChi10

Back to top Go down

Post by Armywife 20th November 2009, 3:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Very information video and I am going to pass it on to my friends. I guess you don't believe until you see it...
Armywife
Armywife

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 7th December 2009, 1:24 pm

Erica5417 wrote:I used to relax my hair every 4 weeks and then I would blow dry and flat iron everyday Shocked

Now I know why my hair always reached a certain length and stopped.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] WHAT!!! Thats insane. I hated relaxers even when I got the, I went a good year without one as a teen!
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 7th December 2009, 1:25 pm

ChiChi10 wrote:That was lye correct? What about "no-lye" relaxers? Someone could always write that video off because of that.

The person doing that is probably the type of person that would write anything negative about relaxers off...just so they could justify getting one.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 7th December 2009, 1:41 pm

After seeing something like that I don't see how one could SANELY justify getting a relaxer.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyFree 14th May 2010, 10:26 pm

This vid was so straight forward an i honestly don't know how anyone could consciously still continue to abuse their hair after viewing that....its crazy to NOW think how my poor hair must've been screaming for help all these years [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i'm SOOOOO happy i'm on my journey & have theres NO chance of EVER turning back!!!!!!!
BeautifullyFree
BeautifullyFree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next