CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Long-Term Transitioner :)

+13
prettyprecious
PolymerGirl
Charbella
neethair
myboo1971
Naturalbaby
MsVera
MochaSoul
suqiit
HAMPTONSFNST
MellowOne
TiffNotANY
4evasmilin
17 posters

Go down

New Long-Term Transitioner :) Empty New Long-Term Transitioner :)

Post by 4evasmilin 1st March 2010, 10:14 pm

It's taken me so long to tell my story...better late than never right? Very Happy

I grew up with no relaxer. My mother told me she never put a relaxer in my hair because she said "I didn't need one". Of course, I begged her for one..she would always laugh and tell me no. My mom eventually re-married & we became apart of a blended family. I immediately had 4 sisters. 3 were already grown up & 1 of them was just 5 months older than me. We did EVERYTHING together...except get a relaxer. I LOVED my long hair until my step-sister came home with a fresh relaxer that her biological mom put in her hair. I was extremely jealous of her...she got to wear the hairstyles that I couldn't...because to me, they wouldnt last or i'd "sweat the hairstyle out". High School came around...& I still didnt have a relaxer. I loved my long hair but at the same time I was still very insecure of my curly hair. There weren't many girls at my high school that had the same hair as me & none of the women in my household did either. I didnt understand how my mother could tell me I couldnt get a relaxer...when she's giving herself one.

I graduated high school. Went to college for a couple of years & then decided to join the navy. I figured the best thing for me to do was to get a relaxer. I thought that my hair would be "easier" to manage. That was in 2007. I told myself that I would stop getting them when my time is up in the military in 2012. But I cant do it anymore. I've only been relaxed for 3 yrs now & it feels like forever. Since the end of last year, i'd find myself looking at old pictures of my hair & seeing the obvious difference in thickness & health. I could just hear my mother telling me over & over again "i told you so". I'd find myself looking more & more into natural hair blogs & pictures of women with the hair that I once had. Coming across different articles about the severity of the chemical relaxers...not just on our scalp, but the things it can do to our bodies.Check this out-->http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62:relaxer-truths&catid=34:careinfo&Itemid=30.

My last relaxer was Dec 16th, 2009. I'm done. This is going to be an interesting journey for me because I'm still in the military, so im going to have to figure out different hairstyles that are within navy regulations. Doing the BC is NOT an option for me.
I am excited because I know I'm not in this alone.
Any suggestions that you guys can give this new long term transitioner is greatly appreciated.
Thank you ladies.

(once i figure out how to put pictures up i will)

~4evasmilin~ Smile Smile
4evasmilin
4evasmilin

Back to top Go down

New Long-Term Transitioner :) Empty Re: New Long-Term Transitioner :)

Post by TiffNotANY 1st March 2010, 11:57 pm

Good luck on your journey. I'm a new long term transitioner too. My last perm was Dec. 2, 2009. It's fun getting to know your hair again.
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 2nd March 2010, 12:55 am

Good Luck on your journey and I agree with DukesDame it is fun getting to know your hair again/in my case for the first time [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd March 2010, 11:25 am

Welcome 4evasmilin,

I've been transitioning for nearly 18 months and planned to BC in June but I may just wait until my 2yr anniversary in September.

Since you're going to transition for a long period of time make sure to keep your strands well conditioned and moisturized. If you experience any tangles while your hair is wet/damp don't pull or tug just add additional conditioner for more slip. Some find managing two textures difficult yet for me it's been fairly easy. I don't like to manipulate my hair much so I wear protective styles that will last such as two strand twists, weaves and currently bantu knots. I just don't like doing my hair! lol Good luck on your journey and thank you for your services within our country's armed forces
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by suqiit 6th March 2010, 11:35 am

Hey, I'm new to CN, but I am a long term transitioner as well. I'm 8 months in right now, and plan to BC on NYE. Good luck on your journey!
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 13th March 2010, 6:27 pm

I am a newbie also to CN...my last firey creamy chemical was Dec 09 and I will be transitioning via braids until Aug/Sept, when I will officially do the BC. I am very excited and finally have my husband on board with the premise that its necessary since finding a stylist is soooo gruesome when you are military....we are relocating in Nov/Dec.....I will be following you all for updates and suggestions on how to make this journey successful!!!

Good Luck [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 14th March 2010, 1:04 am

I'm new here too and good luck to you! My last relaxer was Oct. 2009.
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalbaby 27th March 2010, 10:11 pm

Hey my last relaxer was in Dec 2009, I don't plan to BC until maybe march of next yr 15month transition with the help of braids and sew in. Hopefully it doesnt damage my hair
Naturalbaby
Naturalbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by myboo1971 7th April 2010, 8:07 am

Hi everyone. My last relaxer was in November 2009. I had alot of the relaxed ends cut off to a jawline bob 2 weeks ago but still a long way to go. I have a scalp condition which the doctors think might be something called lichen planus which has caused some ? permanent hairloss. Couldn't be sure whether relaxing was the culprit or contributing to the condition so that's when I decided to ditch this stuff. I've experienced a bit of breakage so far between the two textures but am learning all the time from the natural hair forums and Anita Grant's products have been life savers, especially her shampoo bars (my mum always said I was allergic to soaps).

Anyhow, any advice on hairstyling would be welcomed. I've tried the 2 strand twist outs on wet hair but because of the areas of hairloss (which are normally easily disguised), this is not a good look. I end up combing it out into a big frizzy halo, which I love, but the next day it's a hot mess. So I've reverted back to blow drying but I'd really like to reduce the heat styling. I don't think wash and go's are really an option with my hair texture and cold England. Any advice would be welcomed.
myboo1971
myboo1971

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 7th April 2010, 11:31 am

Good morning myboo,

I was a long term transitioner until as recently as Monday morning when I decided to BC. My first advice to you is to minimize your use of heat since you've been experiencing breakage. Are you currently transitioning or completely natural? Have you developed a regimen and if so, what products are you using besides the poo bars? These questions will help us assist you with remedying any concerns you may have about your hair.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 8th April 2010, 12:56 pm

@Hamptonsfnst-

Congrads on your BC. I just saw your new avatar on another thread and was like DID SHE DO IT..... *ahhh snap*. You have nice length.

So how do you feel?

I'm so happy for you, congrads again you look great.
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by myboo1971 9th April 2010, 3:57 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:Good morning myboo,

I was a long term transitioner until as recently as Monday morning when I decided to BC. My first advice to you is to minimize your use of heat since you've been experiencing breakage. Are you currently transitioning or completely natural? Have you developed a regimen and if so, what products are you using besides the poo bars? These questions will help us assist you with remedying any concerns you may have about your hair.
Hi Hamptonsfnst
I'm currently transitioning long term. My regimen at the moment is washing once a week with Anita Grant's poo bars. When I remember I've just started using cassia (probably about once a month so far). I've just discovered Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner and I deep condition ever so often with a Dark and Lovely Cholesterol deep conditioner. After I've washed and conditioned I use either Redken's Smooth Down leave-in or Hawiian Silky's 14 in 1 leave in and blow dry. I've been flat ironing next at this stage but this is what I'm trying to give up. I've tried satin curlers, 2 strand twist outs but am not getting the great results that I'm seeing on the forums. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] During the week I've been using Anita Grant's great shea based whipped butters to keep well moisturised. I'm trying Henna next (just bought Lush's Caca Rouge) this weekend. I keep my hair back in a clip most days.

I'd be grateful for any advice on tweaking or overhauling my routine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
myboo1971
myboo1971

Back to top Go down

New Long-Term Transitioner :) Empty Re: Long term transitioner

Post by Charbella 25th April 2010, 6:46 pm

Good luck on your journey to natural hair. I am currently transitioning to natural hair (16 months) but I have about another two years to go or maybe sooner. My mom always regretted putting a relaxer on my hair. I had my first relaxer when I was 7. My hair was curly and was past my waist. It was too much for my mom to handle and living in a city with humidity didn't help. My hair stylist talked my mom into putting a relaxer on my hair but my mom soon regretted it and allowed the relaxer to grow out for three years and then she cut the rest of my hair off. My hair was still long. When I was in the 7th grade I begged my mom for a relaxer and she gave in and I have worn it until December 2008. I look back over all of the years and wish that I would have never talked my mom into getting me the relaxer. Better late than never. I love my new growth and I can't wait to be completely natural. I only wash my hair once a week and I deep condition every time I wash my hair. I use the braid outs alot. I work from home so it makes my transition a little easier for me. I have to add that since I have been transitioning, I only use heat when I am sitting under the dryer for my deep conditioners. I was a flat iron queen before I started going natural.

Have fun while transitioning and watch videos from other natural women. I have gotten so much encouragement from several hair forums and you tube videos. I'm so glad that I took the journey and I'm definitely not looking back.

Last edited by Charbella on 25th April 2010, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Charbella

Back to top Go down

Post by PolymerGirl 27th April 2010, 7:44 pm

Hey! I'm kind of new to CN forums too, and I've been transitioning since mid-March, 2009. Trying to wait until March 2011, but it's so hard! I'm in AROTC, so the BC isn't an option for me either. Try cornrows, flat twists, wash n' buns, bantu knot-outs swept up into a bun, braid n' curls (my new fave), and buy a whole lot of cheap hair clips and head bands!

Also, conditioning and co-washing are pretty helpful. Wash your hair in four or more big braids to keep detangling to a minimum. Last but not least... use heat sparingly.

Enjoy yourself!! So far, it's been pretty fun for me (albeit difficult at times).
PolymerGirl
PolymerGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyprecious 28th April 2010, 5:51 pm

I am a new long termer (if that is a word). I am getting kinky twists in a week and will wear them for a few months. During the winter, I may have a weave sewn in, depending on how I feel. I have not had a perm since 1/9/10. My hair has grown alot and I am pleased with the process. I get my hair cut every 2-3 months. Good luck to everyone, who is going through the transition process!!
prettyprecious
prettyprecious

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 30th April 2010, 5:14 pm

4evasmilin wrote:
It's taken me so long to tell my story...better late than never right? Very Happy

I grew up with no relaxer. My mother told me she never put a relaxer in my hair because she said "I didn't need one". Of course, I begged her for one..she would always laugh and tell me no. My mom eventually re-married & we became apart of a blended family. I immediately had 4 sisters. 3 were already grown up & 1 of them was just 5 months older than me. We did EVERYTHING together...except get a relaxer. I LOVED my long hair until my step-sister came home with a fresh relaxer that her biological mom put in her hair. I was extremely jealous of her...she got to wear the hairstyles that I couldn't...because to me, they wouldnt last or i'd "sweat the hairstyle out". High School came around...& I still didnt have a relaxer. I loved my long hair but at the same time I was still very insecure of my curly hair. There weren't many girls at my high school that had the same hair as me & none of the women in my household did either. I didnt understand how my mother could tell me I couldnt get a relaxer...when she's giving herself one.

I graduated high school. Went to college for a couple of years & then decided to join the navy. I figured the best thing for me to do was to get a relaxer. I thought that my hair would be "easier" to manage. That was in 2007. I told myself that I would stop getting them when my time is up in the military in 2012. But I cant do it anymore. I've only been relaxed for 3 yrs now & it feels like forever. Since the end of last year, i'd find myself looking at old pictures of my hair & seeing the obvious difference in thickness & health. I could just hear my mother telling me over & over again "i told you so". I'd find myself looking more & more into natural hair blogs & pictures of women with the hair that I once had. Coming across different articles about the severity of the chemical relaxers...not just on our scalp, but the things it can do to our bodies.Check this out-->http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62:relaxer-truths&catid=34:careinfo&Itemid=30.

My last relaxer was Dec 16th, 2009. I'm done. This is going to be an interesting journey for me because I'm still in the military, so im going to have to figure out different hairstyles that are within navy regulations. Doing the BC is NOT an option for me.
I am excited because I know I'm not in this alone.
Any suggestions that you guys can give this new long term transitioner is greatly appreciated.
Thank you ladies.

(once i figure out how to put pictures up i will)

~4evasmilin~ Smile Smile

I'm in the Navy too and understand exactly what you're going through. My last relaxer was sometime in December of 2009 as well so we're literally in the same boat. I remember once walking past a Captain with my hair fresh out of a roller set. lol he just stared after me with this look on his face [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] haha that is the last time I plan on doing that...

The twist outs I do aren't so bad because they can be pinned back, at least on my hair (APL), and are still in regs.
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 5th May 2010, 11:45 am

I have been transitioning for about 10 months. I got the last relaxer in July of '09. It has been a hard but interesting journey .. I've been so used to waking up and just going because of the easy maintenance with relaxed hair, but now I actually have to put thought into what to do with my hair. I do like being able to get in the shower without worrying when I get my hair wet, it takes alot of stress out of showering lol. Although it is not easy and it isn't the fastest process in the world. I am extremely happy. Everytime I wash (Co-Wash) my hair I become elated by the sight of my new growth. So just stay encouraged and know that in the long run it is all worth the while. Natural, healthy and yours !

As far as taking care of it goes, I strongly remind you to keep your hair moisturized and to try to stay away from direct heat (ie: curling irons, flat irons...). You don't want to damage the healthy new growth coming in! Experiment with products, get to know what your hair likes and doesn't like !

I co-wash daily and shampoo every other week or if I feel buildup before that time is up. I use Herbal Esscence Hello Hydration as a conditioner as well as my leave-in. I try to stay away from cones and try to use sulfate-free shampoos. I tend to do braid-n-curls or twist-n-curls. They blend my textures well

I hope that helped... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by vmckinzey 6th May 2010, 5:58 pm

I joined this site in January and the information and tips have been great. Like ladykay6, I've been transitioning for about 10 months - last relaxer in July '09. It's been quite a ride. . .some days I don't know what to do with my hair and working with the two textures is driving me crazy. Other days I look in the mirror and go wow. . .that's really my hair. . .it is so beautiful. It is really hard work, but I'm glad I made the decision to grow my hair out natural. Looking forward to really seeing it in all of it's glory, but not ready for the BC yet.
vmckinzey
vmckinzey

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 7th May 2010, 11:06 am

VMC, I know exactly what you mean.. I just can't bring myself to BC yet... but at the same time I wish I could wake up tomorrow with all natural hair at my current length (EXTREMELY FARFETCHED... :[ [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) but still ... we can all dream ! lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by jjinwright 9th May 2010, 12:17 am

Hello all. My name is Janelle and I have been lurking on this site for awhile. I have been transitioning for about 6 months now and I am always so encouraged by you ladies to keep going. I love this site and am so glad I have fellow transitioners here with me on this journey.
jjinwright
jjinwright

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down