CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Co-wash for Transitioners

+2
Renny
MissKayElle
6 posters

Go down

Co-wash for Transitioners Empty Co-wash for Transitioners

Post by MissKayElle 4th July 2010, 2:09 pm

I've seen plenty of co-washing videos for natural hair which have been sort of helpful. I'm still transitioning and would like to co-wash my hair. What I would like to know is: What do I do afterwards? I'm going braid the front of my hair. I know I should air dry, but what products do I need to put in my hair?

Thanks a million!
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

http://mskayelle.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Co-wash for Transitioners Empty Re: Co-wash for Transitioners

Post by Renny 5th July 2010, 11:45 am

Hi MissKay,

I'm no expert, but this is what I've gathered from YouTube videos and some post on here. After you wash you need to put on a leave-in conditioner, seal the ends of your hair to retain the moisture and then you style.

I'm using Giovanni Direct Leave-in and sealing with a combination of oils I put in a bottle (EVOO, Jojooba, castor, coconut oil, and rosemary) or I seal with a a shea butter mixture I made of shea butter and the oils I listed above.

Hope that helps.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 5th July 2010, 12:30 pm

Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 5th July 2010, 1:44 pm

When I was transitioning, I treated all of my hair like it was natural. So after co-washing I'd put on some leave in, then an oil, and then a cream based moisturizer before styling. I don't think you have to do anything *special* with your hair because you're transitioning, just make sure to keep it clean and moisturized Smile Oh, and manipulate it at little as possible so you don't have to worry about much breakage.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 5th July 2010, 1:56 pm

Muz wrote: When I was transitioning, I treated all of my hair like it was natural. So after co-washing I'd put on some leave in, then an oil, and then a cream based moisturizer before styling. I don't think you have to do anything *special* with your hair because you're transitioning, just make sure to keep it clean and moisturized [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Oh, and manipulate it at little as possible so you don't have to worry about much breakage.

Muz,

Would you share the cream based moisturizer you were using?
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKayElle 6th July 2010, 12:23 am

I second that, Renny what cream based moisturizer did you use?

Thanks for the info. I'm getting kinky twists on Friday. I'll definitely read up and buy products while I have hair in extensions.
MissKayElle
MissKayElle

http://mskayelle.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by La Reina McMeanie 11th July 2010, 6:12 pm

I'm also new to co-washing. Yesterday was the first time I co-washed my hair. I immediately noticed the difference in my hair. Usually after shampooing and conditioner my hair feels dry and sticks together. After the co-wash my hair was extremely soft and manageable. Before I washed my hair I had braid outs and it was kind of tangled. So I sprayed my hair with water and a lil bit of olive oil. It softened my hair and it detangled itself. Then I used conditioner, a deep treatment, Lil bit of leave in conditioner and sealed in moisture. My hair is still soft and moisturized All of these years and my hair never had this kind of feeling before. I don't know but I love it. I would suggest moisture and protein conditioners, good deep treatment and leave in conditioner, coconut oil and Shea butter.

Good Luck
remember it's all trial and error, figure out what works for your hair
La Reina McMeanie
La Reina McMeanie

http://Myblognoholdsbar.blogspot.com, Relationswiththeworld.blog

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTammie 12th July 2010, 1:41 pm

Hi, I'm a fairly new transitioner. My last relaxer was February 2010. I must say this journey has been challenging but well worth it. I am LOVING my hair. It's taking some time to figure out what works best for my hair. But, I think I've finally found a regimine that has been the best thus far:

• I've been cowashing my hair with HE Hello Hydration (LOVE IT). If I shampoo my hair, its no more than twice a month and I use Giovanni 50/50 clarifying shampoo or KeraCare hydrating detangling shampoo (my relaxed hair always LOVED this shampoo). When I rinse out the HE Hello Hydration, I make sure to rinse with COOL water and leave a little behind.
  • Next, I spray Jane Carter leave in conditioner (not too much) while its soaking wet.

Most important (which I've recenlty found out) is to let my hair air dry about 50% before doing anything else to it.

• Once its 50% dry, I add Jamaican Black Castor Oil to the my scalp (a little goes a very long way) and coconut oil to my hair. I use the coconut oil on each section I twist.
  • Then I'll add my creams: SheaMoisture leave in conditioner and a cream moisturizer (right now I'm using SilkenChild but looking for something new).
  • Next I spray each section with DevaOne Curl Spray Moisturizer (?I think that's the name...I don't have it in front of me)
  • Finally, begin to twist my sections (normally 8 twists for fuller curls) making sure to have unrefined shea butter (from butters n bars) on my finger tips to seal the ends. I also roll the twists with satin rollers or soft rod rollers and I don't take them out until my hair is COMPLETELY DRY.

I hope this helps! I know it can be frustrating at times, but its all trial and error and eventually you'll find what works best for your hair.

Good Luck

NaturalTammie

Back to top Go down

Post by La Reina McMeanie 12th July 2010, 3:54 pm

I wish I started transitioning months ago. I have no idea why I didn't start then. My last perm was May 24,2010. I'm not sure how long I want to transition. At the moment I want to put in kinky twist. Or I can just do the big chop lol. Still undecided.
La Reina McMeanie
La Reina McMeanie

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTammie 12th July 2010, 4:12 pm

I plan on transitioning for as long as I possibly can. I've always had fairly long hair (bsl) and to do a "big chop" would be drastic for me. Although, I must say that lately I've been giving it some thought....well not a big chop but a bob cut up to my chin. I'll re-visit the idea at the end of the summer. For now, I'll continue to do my twist and curls. I absolutely love this look. Once I learn how to post pictures, I'll add the before and after shots.

NaturalTammie

Back to top Go down

Post by La Reina McMeanie 12th July 2010, 7:49 pm

That would be great ! I actually have somewhat of short hair. I cut my hair at least once a year and when my hair grows back it just grows to my neck. So if I was to do the big C I'll probably be relieved. I just wanted to outgrow as much relaxer in my hair as possible before I cut it. Im just super excited to start my journey that I'm so indecisive on what I should do.
La Reina McMeanie
La Reina McMeanie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down