CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twist and Curl for Transitioners??

+4
Russianjoy
tressedforsuccess
Tmochava
mocha_mom
8 posters

Go down

Twist and Curl for Transitioners?? Empty Twist and Curl for Transitioners??

Post by mocha_mom 3rd February 2010, 12:47 am

I'm am in desperate need of a "staple style" that I can leave in for a few days before having to mess around in my terrible two's. I don't want to manipulate my hair too much. Any successful routines??
mocha_mom
mocha_mom

Back to top Go down

Twist and Curl for Transitioners?? Empty Re: Twist and Curl for Transitioners??

Post by Tmochava 3rd February 2010, 1:36 am

The twist and curl doesn't work for me, especially not on my relaxed ends. I think it will come out much better once I'm fully natural. My staple style is a roller set with flexirods. I love it. I also usually wear it in a bun but my hair is starting to overwhelm my natual hair and its getting harder to slick it back into a bun.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 3rd February 2010, 2:28 am

I tried it and I liked it. The only thing is, I would use bigger rods next time. I used the gray and white ones on my APL hair, and the curls came out super tight. It was still cute though, and probably and accurate depiction of how my shrinkage might actually look if my hair was all natural.

I just started a fotki, it's pretty remedial right now, but I'm working on it. I'll pm you the link so you can see the results for yourself. I used this youtube video as a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8X8xtcOdgA
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by Russianjoy 3rd February 2010, 1:55 pm

Hi. My staple style has been a modified version of the T & C twist-out. I've been transitioning for 14 months and still have 3 in. of relaxer on the front sections of my bobbed hair.

I flat twist, like a cornrow but two-strand twisted (10 in all) and apply a stain roller or perm rod on the free-twisted 3 inch ends). Flat twist instructions on motowngirl.com. Smaller sections will decrease drying time and produce more defined coils. I found that the regular T & C would untwist easily on the relaxed hair unravel and it took much more time to twist and achieve the style the next morning. I retwist each evening after a water spritz and sealing ends to be assured of the same look the next day. The flat twist remains stationary so it's easier for me to sleep on. I unravel in the morning, dividing abit for fullness and fluff. It takes me 10-15 minutes, tops to twist at night and 5 minutes to unravel and fluff the next day.

Russianjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Russianjoy 3rd February 2010, 1:58 pm

Oh. I simply retwist the strands back in place, my hair remembers the set so I'm not manipulating much. No combing, brushing, or detangling again. On weekends, holidays, vacations I retwist every other night.

Russianjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 3rd February 2010, 2:11 pm

I did a twist and curl last night for the first time and it came out pretty good... I had over 20 twists in my hair. I have done twist outs before, but my relaxed ends always looked horrible.

I'm only 2+ months in to my transition so I have a lot of relaxed hair left! I put a little CD's Kizzi Stay Put on the ends of my hair and that usually holds them although the back ones tends to unravel still.

I used the green flexi rods and curled half way up the twist. @tressesforsuccess, thanks for the video b/c it made me realize that maybe I need to use end wraps on my hair when I roll them.

I need to try my hand at flat twists again but they were so hard for me to do but I don't like the curl pattern that braid outs and cornrows give my hair.
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 3rd February 2010, 3:12 pm

I've tried it a couple of times, but I haven't gotten it to look cute (at least not in my overly critical opinion ~lol~) I think I was doing my twists too big. I was going to try it again this week, but I never took the twists out since I don't have to leave the house. I'm not a huge fan of twist-outs period because I can't get them to look the way I want, and I don't feel like they'd last that long, but I'm going to keep trying until I get it right (the beauty of a long transition! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mocha_mom 3rd February 2010, 9:51 pm

I think that's my problem, my ends! Thanks for the tips, i'll be re-visiting the TnC this weekend.
mocha_mom
mocha_mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 5th February 2010, 2:12 am

I've done a couple. The first set I did with leave in and setting lotion. I liked how it felt. The second set I did with leave in, setting lotion, and gel. The gel was too much and the second day hair was a little too hard.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 5th February 2010, 11:44 am

My TnC is definitely my staple style. I do it after every cowash and it usually lasts me 4 days or until the next cowash. After I apply my leave-in condish, I follow with my styler of choice, Curls' Curl Souffle and seal my ends with either CD's Healthy Hair Butter or my blend of whipped shea butter and jojoba oil. I always use end papers and to blend better with my natural hair I use gray perm rods. I only separate the twists on day 2 or 3 and bantu knot my hair at night or place it in a pineapple.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by HAMPTONSFNST on 5th February 2010, 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional pics)
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down