CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Hair is so dry I wanna cry. . .

+10
Poundcake921
KinkycurlyKi
Lynnieluve
Muz
Karyn
DreamMerchant
kinksncurls
krazy coils
EmbracingNaturalMe
MsKendrala
14 posters

Go down

My Hair is so dry I wanna cry. . . Empty My Hair is so dry I wanna cry. . .

Post by MsKendrala 20th June 2010, 8:07 pm

Ok so i BC'ed the first week in June. . .I knew that my hair was something different even when i was relaxed but boy on boy did i find out how different it could be. Its dry, not matter what its dry! it looks like a brittle mess! I deep condition, i moisturize, i co-wash, i add oils to everything and still its dry. The only time i like my hair is a few days after i shingle my hair with the olive oil eco styler when the gel isnt hard but its shiny and moisturized. . . i wish i could obtain that look with a lot less gel! does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do?

Thanks in advance!
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

http://twitter.com/MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

My Hair is so dry I wanna cry. . . Empty Re: My Hair is so dry I wanna cry. . .

Post by EmbracingNaturalMe 20th June 2010, 8:23 pm

My hair was extremely dry the first 2 to 3 weeks after my BC. According to everything I read, this is pretty normal. I cowashed daily to counteract the dryness and made sure to use a good leave-in and sealed with oil. I also used a vegetable glycerin/water mix. Now, I don't cowash everyday. I still use a good leave in and seal with oil and I still use the veggie glycerin/water mix on my hair. I started recently using Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie which I bought from my local Target for 9.99. This stuff is so moisturizing. I also use Shea Moisture deep conditioning masque. You may also want to try unrefined shea butter. I hope this helps!
EmbracingNaturalMe
EmbracingNaturalMe

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 20th June 2010, 8:29 pm

I agree with EmbracingNatural Me, after your bc your hair will be extremely dry. You want to use a really moisturizing conditioner if your're co-washing and also deep condition your hair until you can get your moisture levels up. Also be careful with the gel because it can contribute to the dryness to your hair. Make sure you use a good leave-in under the ecostyler.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 20th June 2010, 9:04 pm

Mine was also really dry. Part of that I think was just figuring out what products work and didn't work for me and that took time. Hang in there, it will get better! Smile
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 20th June 2010, 9:39 pm

You are just going to have to look for the right product (which can be expensive" and wait it out! You will find your product! I hope you find your quicker than I found mine. It took me around 10 years to really understand my hair. But then again, there was no "CN" or "Kimmaytube" either! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Maybe you can find a big sister on the board that can help you out and ease your mind.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 20th June 2010, 9:47 pm

try roux porosity control! i'm pretty sure i've read that it works if your hair isn't absorbing moisture. it's sold at bss
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 20th June 2010, 11:00 pm

Don't forget the importance of moisturizing from within, which means drinking lots of water. I haven't really had a problem with persistent dryness since my BC, and i think the fact that I drink about the equivalent of 4 bottles of water a day helps. Outside of that I wash once a week, I let my hair air dry, and after I wash I put on a water-based leave in and EVOO (Or Castor Oil) if I'm styling it I use my Shea butter mix, if I'm doing a wash n go, I don't put anything else on over the oil. I also spray some sort of water on my hair every day, not enough to drench it, just a few spritzes and then I'll rub some oil or something over that. This past week I've been spraying green tea on it instead of water, and it's been super moisturized.

HTH Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 20th June 2010, 11:37 pm

What products are you using?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala 21st June 2010, 12:49 am

Lynnieluve wrote:What products are you using?

co-wash with aussie moist i shingle with olive oil eco styler but i base my hair with Hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and aussie moist as a leave in, i have a spray bottle with water, EVOO, EVCO, veggie glycerin, grape seed oil, and tea tree and lavender oil that i use as a spritz.

I just seems like nothing penetrates my hair shaft everything sits on my hair nothing soaks in
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 21st June 2010, 12:54 am

as i suggested, give the roux porosity control a try! haha. gunking on a whole bunch of things won't help if your porosity is out of whack. just sayin
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 21st June 2010, 1:50 am

What about the baggy method? When I want a big boost of moisture, I will baggy for a couple of days.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkycurlyKi 21st June 2010, 12:24 pm

I understand how you feel. I BC on 6/12/10 ( go me!). But my hair always been dry. I am still looking for what works for me but so far I like the Shea Mositure deep treatment masque, it makes my hair soft and holds the mositure in it. I do wash-n-go's of course bc i have a TWA but it works for me so far. I co-wash ever day with KCKT and today I added a dime size amt of the SMDTM for my leave in. So far it feels great!
KinkycurlyKi
KinkycurlyKi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st June 2010, 12:34 pm

napturallyKi wrote:I understand how you feel. I BC on 6/12/10 ( go me!). But my hair always been dry. I am still looking for what works for me but so far I like the Shea Mositure deep treatment masque, it makes my hair soft and holds the mositure in it. I do wash-n-go's of course bc i have a TWA but it works for me so far. I co-wash ever day with KCKT and today I added a dime size amt of the SMDTM for my leave in. So far it feels great!

Cowashing with KCKT is gonna become expensive. Why dont you try a cheaper conditioner like, Tresemme Naturals (no more than $4 at walmart) or Yes To Cucumbers (if there is a Ross in your area, they have them for $3.99)
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st June 2010, 12:36 pm

MsKendrala wrote:

co-wash with aussie moist i shingle with olive oil eco styler but i base my hair with Hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and aussie moist as a leave in, i have a spray bottle with water, EVOO, EVCO, veggie glycerin, grape seed oil, and tea tree and lavender oil that i use as a spritz.

I just seems like nothing penetrates my hair shaft everything sits on my hair nothing soaks in

If the products are sitting on your hair, you may need to clarify and/or try a new conditioner.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 21st June 2010, 1:03 pm

I see alot of threads on ladies concerned about their hair being dry right after they BC...please understand that it is going to take some time for your hair to retain moisture right after you BC....remember you had permed hair for a long time and ure natural hair has to adjust to no longer being chemically altered...it's like a plant that has to keep getting watered until its roots fully maintains its moisture...trust me after a month-two months, you will see a difference in your hair and it will continue to change and blossom into a beautiful head of curls!!
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkycurlyKi 21st June 2010, 1:22 pm

@ Lynnielune, yea i'm sure it will get a lil costly but im trying not to spend alot at one time. I would like to make my own co-wash but dnt really know yet what to put in it. But once i run out of KCKT i will be trying something cheaper like Tresemme Naturals ,thanks
KinkycurlyKi
KinkycurlyKi

Back to top Go down

Post by Electrum 21st June 2010, 2:08 pm

To kendrala, it just seems to me as if you have non-porous hair. Although it feels as if it's a curse now, I think you may find it to be a blessing later on down the road. General rule says, the less porous your hair, the less damage it has incurred.
I believe the best thing you can do is maintain your current routine with a few moderations:
1) co-wash more often than usual,
2) buy a more moisturizing conditioner if at all possible; aussie moist has great slip but Aubreys Organics Honeysuckle Rose have much healthier ingredients and are known to soften hair, {representatives of the natural body & hair care line recommend slathering conditioner on dry hair to maximize moisturizing benefits;}
3) Use more EVCO, perhaps as a night treatment, since it, unlike the other products you named, has been proven to penetrate the hair strand. (this information is based on the following post:) http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/03/monday-myths-can-you-really-deep.html <---- the author of this blog has a lot of information on the science of hair products.
good luck!
Electrum
Electrum

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala 22nd June 2010, 10:34 am

Thanks @ Electrum. . .that really helps! I thought i was protein sensitive but i guess im not
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 22nd June 2010, 12:17 pm

Thanks for sharing this blog Electrum. Great information.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 22nd June 2010, 12:36 pm

I just BC'd in May. I had to co wash daily and spritz my hair a few times a day at first to keep my hair moisturized. My hair has just started to feel softer in the last week or so. I still co wash every other day or so but I do not have to spritz it as much during the day. I finally figured out less is more with my hair Smile. Now I co-wash, deep condition every 2 days, KCKT as a leave in, I also add it to my spritz. Also Aloe Vera Gel helps to moisturize.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala 22nd June 2010, 6:55 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
MsKendrala wrote:

If the products are sitting on your hair, you may need to clarify and/or try a new conditioner.

i clarified a few days ago. . .other then my hair being so clean that it squeaked it did nothing for my hair. . .
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 30th June 2010, 10:44 am

MsKendrala wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:
MsKendrala wrote:

i clarified a few days ago. . .other then my hair being so clean that it squeaked it did nothing for my hair. . .

I was just reading your posts and I noticed that we had our last relaxer on the same day and you big chopped on my birthday! I'm hoping to big chop one day...were you able to fix the dry hair issue?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala 30th June 2010, 7:33 pm

@naturallyme09 Thanks for asking! I think i have actually. . .i cowashed last night and my hair was EXTREMELY soft. It felt like straw before. I put very little product in it and my curls popped. I was pleased with the out come especially since i sat and had a long debate with-in myself about whether i felt like doing anything to my hair
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down