CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I really wanna know my hair type. :(

+2
Juices-n-Berries
meepmeep1101
6 posters

Go down

I really wanna know my hair type. :( Empty I really wanna know my hair type. :(

Post by meepmeep1101 13th October 2010, 3:28 pm

I went to the NC forums, but no one really responds over there so I'm guessing you girls here at CN forums can help me.

My roots (since I am transitioning) are wavy. Like tight waves, can also be called crinkly? some of my waves can be as big as the tip of my pointer finger or as small as half the tip of my pinky finger. I also have a small amount of coils in some places. And some of my waves start to turn into a curl like a spring coil. What is my type of hair?

And also another question. Does the hair you had when you were younger differ as you get older?
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

I really wanna know my hair type. :( Empty Re: I really wanna know my hair type. :(

Post by Guest 13th October 2010, 3:45 pm

um...i'm not really sure, but ur hair kinda sounds like mine, even though evrybody's hair is different..um i too have alot of waves and when i wet my hair it's curly, kinda frizzy and wavy and when it dries it looks like a mini fro/curly/frizzy...but um i'm not sure wut kind of hair u have b/c alot of hair can have several different textures in it.....um and as far as ur hair changing, the older you get i'm not sure...um i kno it will nevr b the same one u relax virgin hair, u wouldn't b able to obtain how ur hair was be4 u ever got a relaxer b/c ur hair is no longer "virgin" hair. anyway, i'm no pro on this subject..hope somebody else responds Wink

Back to top Go down

I really wanna know my hair type. :( Empty Re: I really wanna know my hair type. :(

Post by meepmeep1101 13th October 2010, 3:52 pm

thankyou Smile
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th October 2010, 3:53 pm

ur welcome Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 13th October 2010, 4:37 pm

You likely won't really be able to tell until you either cut off the relaxed ends or have at least 3 inches of new growth. At this point, you main concern should be dealing with the two textures and keeping the hair healthy. Hair type doesn't have much value to you at this point. In terms of products your hair usually responds differently to things when fully natural than during the transition. So I say don't stress yourself too much over hair type.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th October 2010, 4:40 pm

I agree with Juices n Berries
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 13th October 2010, 5:47 pm

I am under the impression that you are describing the characteristics of your new growth and asking about determining your hair type because you want help in learning how to care for it(vs. the relaxed ends) now. You told us how it looks, but how does it feel? Is it dry? Is it hard? How much of your hair is new growth vs. relaxed ends? Are you having trouble with the condition of your hair or problems styling it or is it something else? I won't try to " pin the tail on the elusive hair type donkey", but I will make suggestions based upon your responses.

Your new growth is virgin hair, that's why if you were not transitioning you would have to apply chemical to it to make it match what is already relaxed. The texture could be the same as before you started relaxing(mine was). It depends upon how your hair responds to the fact that in the interim you have aged and may have experienced hormonal and/or environmental (diet, stress, exposure to the elements etc.)changes.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 13th October 2010, 6:22 pm

Just to answer the second part of your post, yes, your hair changes over time. I've been natural all my life and my hair now isn't like the hair I had when I was younger (before teenage years). My curls have loosened quite a bit around the outside of the my head, but my crown's curls have tightened. I used to have a uniform curl type/pattern all over, but not anymore. I noticed this when I was a teenager.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 13th October 2010, 6:31 pm

I think you've gotten some good answers so far. SO I'll answer your last question.

Yes your hair does change. When you're born you have this fluffy very fine hair on your head that falls out, and new hair grows in by the time you're 1. After this hormones can change your hair. Pregnant women find their hair is thicker, and women during menopause find their hair thinning but this is not always the case. Besides hormones, your diet also effects how healthy your hair is.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 13th October 2010, 9:20 pm

FalconTress wrote:I am under the impression that you are describing the characteristics of your new growth and asking about determining your hair type because you want help in learning how to care for it(vs. the relaxed ends) now. You told us how it looks, but how does it feel? Is it dry? Is it hard? How much of your hair is new growth vs. relaxed ends? Are you having trouble with the condition of your hair or problems styling it or is it something else? I won't try to " pin the tail on the elusive hair type donkey", but I will make suggestions based upon your responses.

Your new growth is virgin hair, that's why if you were not transitioning you would have to apply chemical to it to make it match what is already relaxed. The texture could be the same as before you started relaxing(mine was). It depends upon how your hair responds to the fact that in the interim you have aged and may have experienced hormonal and/or environmental (diet, stress, exposure to the elements etc.)changes.

It is not dry that I know of. I cowash every other day, followed by a leave in, then unrefined shea butter for my twists, and in the morning I have a twist out that lasts 2 days. It is better than leaving my hair ont he top in a big poof because I wore a mohawk for over a year so my sides are growing back. I also deep condish once a week, usually on sunday.

Right now you can't really tell a difference between my new growth and my permed hair, cuz it didnt really take well, so its not noticeably straight except for the middle of my head. I just wanted to kno my hair type, cuz its cool Smile
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 13th October 2010, 10:47 pm

I just wanted to kno my hair type, cuz its cool Smile

Tee-hee. I guess that is why you gave your post that title. Carry on.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 15th October 2010, 11:05 am

someone said I might be 4a, but not sure because I don't have a picture. Well you guys will get a picture...lol...around spring break Smile
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down