CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP ladies, need advice grandmother messed up my baby girls hair

5 posters

Go down

HELP ladies, need advice grandmother messed up my baby girls hair Empty HELP ladies, need advice grandmother messed up my baby girls hair

Post by kbelle 14th June 2010, 2:04 pm

Okay ladies I really need your help!

First all, I am really picky about who does my daughters hair and I "tolerate" her grandmother (my in-law) styling it when it's a long weekend or something, but that's about it.
Well, she spent some time with her grandmother last week while socializing with the other grandkids and when we went to pick her up, she admitted to me that she washed it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Keep in mind, she is a permy like all her life and I know what's in her product line! And, I don't even want to know what the detangling session was like because I will cry.

But, the problem is that she put her hair into three braids AFTER using uncoated rubber bands while it was wet so it was obviously pulled too tight. My daughter just turned 3 and has very fine strands and curly 3-b/c like hair. Now the sides of her hair along her hairline has small white bumps. And on one side is so bad that she is almost in tears if you even gently style it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . It broke my heart.

My husband told me to just tell her to not wash it, ... well don't worry, I will AGAIN remind her when DD visits again ... just couldn't do it right then how I really wanted to or the in-law relations would have been shot. I did just tell her that her hair is particular and she shouldn't have to wash it when I drop her off and shuffled her back home to try to repair the damage. She apologized, but I just had to leave!

The problem is ... how do I treat the bumps on her hairline. It even looks like her hair is thinner in parts so I bet she didn't know how to handle her curls after she washed it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Help me help my baby girl!!!

Sorry so long --- but i know the mommas out there understand my plea!
kbelle
kbelle
kbelle

Back to top Go down

HELP ladies, need advice grandmother messed up my baby girls hair Empty Re: HELP ladies, need advice grandmother messed up my baby girls hair

Post by Naturally Esq 14th June 2010, 2:53 pm

I don't know how to help you except to suggest that you post this topic on the Curly Parents' section of this website: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/curly-parents-f18/

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

HELP ladies, need advice grandmother messed up my baby girls hair Empty Re: HELP ladies, need advice grandmother messed up my baby girls hair

Post by NikG20 14th June 2010, 2:59 pm

It definitely sounds like the ponytails were pulled too tightly. I would imagine you immediately cut the rubberbands out as soon as you got home. Now normally when I hear of white bumps appearing on the scalp they usually just go away. How long have they been there now?

If I were you I would have immediately taken down the style and massaged her scalp with some virgin coconut oil. I wouldn't do any styles that pull on the scalp for a while.

Also I would be sure to send her to her grandmothers with her hair already styled, that way she won't be tempted to do anything to it. Maybe box braids or two strand twists.

Good luck! I'm sorry this happened, hopefully it won't happen again.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 14th June 2010, 3:09 pm

Hey kbelle! Its been a long time!
But I understand where you coming from. When my cousin would braid my girls hair they would always have those small white bumps along the hair line. My solution was to keep that area moisturized with some type of oil (olive, coconut, grapeseed) and to let them wear their hair out as much as possible until it heals. I just hate to see little ones with tight hair styles. Hope this helps! Email me sometimes!
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by kbelle 14th June 2010, 4:30 pm

I forgot about the Curly Parent's section, I can try that too.

Thanks everyone who replied!
Nik2go ---you are right, I did cut them out as soon as we got home. I NEVER use those kind of rubber bands because they hav never agreed with her hair type. I gently co-washed it because her hair was greasy with I don't know what she put in it, and I didn't want any shampoo to further dry it out.
I put her hair into two strand twists all over and used Bee Mine moisturizer on her scalp, but I didn't think about massaging the oils into it. I will try that. The bumps are almost gone (since Sunday), it's just really dry in those areas. I plan to just do twists in her hair for a couple of weeks until then.
I like the idea of box braids too because her hair is so soft, and other braids won't hold very well for over a couple of days.
I really appreciate all the help!
kbelle
kbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 14th June 2010, 4:52 pm

I definately understand. My mom does it alll the time to my DD. And I get mad, because i know how rough and heavy handed my mom is from experience and she used to be a beautician. I wiould have headaches as a child from her tight braiding. And my she does dry detangling and my baby was in tears (my told me) um Why would you do her hair and i asked you not to. She said she didn't like how i did it in a puff. She always wants to put heat in her hair and my daughter is 4. But i have to remind my own mother that i am the momma. she loves the straight look and is notorious for throwing perms in childrens hair she did that to my cousins daghter's at age 6 and 9 and i am not trying to help them transition. Keep it inlooser styles like box braids and 2 strand twist and massaging that scalp. I am sure it will get better.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down