CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being Natural in Highschool

+24
c`brie
nanie
illybillybay
alove15
mchlljy
curlyneenee
NaturallyBriaful
BeautifullyMehh
fashionistacurlygirly
NFW_THA_QUEEN13
sportychick1
lumii
Humblebug
ULTIMATELYdriven.
oyindaaluko
ImanaLaJule
SiiSii94
Ebbz
krissyc39
earynnm
afrochic
zanajh
Karyn
Bun_Ana
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Being Natural in Highschool - Page 3 Empty Re: Being Natural in Highschool

Post by afrochic 19th July 2010, 2:59 am

i'm Ijaw
afrochic
afrochic

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 19th July 2010, 5:53 pm

Oh, I've never met someone from that tribe before. Cool! Smile
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by afrochic 20th July 2010, 1:05 am

why thank u l0l there are not alot of Ijaw people in the U.S. compared to Yoruba or Igbo's
afrochic
afrochic

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 20th July 2010, 11:31 am

I live in Canada, and the main tribe here is Yoruba (well, from what i can tell). I'm the only Igbo girl in my grade, out of a bunch of Nigerians.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 20th July 2010, 12:21 pm

And here in Germany, I only know like 1 other yoruba girl! All other Nigerians are either igbo or from benin, edo or agbor and other places I never knew existed...
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by sportychick1 21st July 2010, 8:23 pm

I graduated in June, but did a little bc in may, and then I put braids in it like a few days afterwords. No one really said anything to me when I was transitioning. You could barely see my relaxed ends so I guess I looked pretty natural. I have friends from all races, and they liked my hair in my transitioning stage more than when I relaxed it or when i had it in braids. Even black girls too, although some asked me if I was ever going to get a relaxer again Being Natural in Highschool - Page 3 Icon_scratch . There weren't that many girls with natural hair at my school. A lot of the freshman were natural. There were roughly around 2,100 kids at my school.

@lumii I'm Nigerian too, but I live in America Being Natural in Highschool - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
sportychick1
sportychick1

Back to top Go down

Post by NFW_THA_QUEEN13 22nd July 2010, 8:48 pm

Well my school has a lot of people there! I go to an all-black school, but lately white people and mexican people have been coming. I get positive reactions with my hair in it's natural state. My friends love to play in my hair. In recent years, my hair was relaxed, but it's natural now. I transitioned back to natural but keep it in different styles. I haven't revealed my hair in it's NATURAL NATURAL state where it's curly curly because I just want to surprise my friends by wearing it one day because they constantly say they miss my curly hair. I wear a lot of twistouts to get that wavy-sort of look and add like a hump with twists in it. There's more than 10 natural teens at my school, but I think I'm the only one with that type of curly natural hair. So overall being Natural in High School is good!
NFW_THA_QUEEN13
NFW_THA_QUEEN13

Back to top Go down

Post by fashionistacurlygirly 31st July 2010, 11:54 pm

well im 13 i live in chicago. this fall will be mi first yr. in high school. when i went to freshman connection and freshman oreintation n all that junk there was a lot of girls there that were natural. peopla actually liked my curly hair and it wasnt like a weird thing. theres actually like a big group of us curly haired girls who kinda hang out

fashionistacurlygirly

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyMehh 1st August 2010, 12:28 am

I live in Pennsylvania and I go to boarding school. My first day at my school I wore a braid out fro type thing and I got compliments from people saying I had 'good hair' or whatever but I just shrugged and went about my business lol. High school hair wise is easy for me. I think transition protective hairstyles are easy to manage and I don't care about anyones oppinions on my hair. I get good and bad feedback. In my dorm hall the black girls tell me I need to get a relaxer asap [& their hair looks so damaged and thin] while my dorm hall supervisor [who is white] tells me she likes when I wear my hair big and crazy. I think its so sad that your own race cant accept you, but everyone else is fine with who you are [hair & all! lol]
BeautifullyMehh
BeautifullyMehh

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyBriaful 1st August 2010, 11:35 am

I just went natural this summer, but hell im scared to go now cause yesterday when i went on a date with my boyfriend. People kept staring at me like i was disguisting or something, and i could hear girls snickering and laughing behind my back it was awful. The worst day ever. Iv never ever in my life been looked like that, it was something really new. People need to realize its just hair, and yeah i stood out amongst everybody there. So when i go to school in a few weeks i know what to expect. : /
NaturallyBriaful
NaturallyBriaful

Back to top Go down

Post by Bun_Ana 2nd August 2010, 6:00 pm

@NaturallyBriaful Thats one thing I had to get used to being natural. Standing out. I think that confidence is key, so when people see that I'm rocking the hell outta my curly do, they fall back a little. I'm not an "all eyes on me" kinda person, so it was weird in the beginning, but i'm kinda used to it now.
Bun_Ana
Bun_Ana

http://bunanamarie.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyMehh 20th August 2010, 9:36 pm

NaturallyBriaful, I think you look beautiful in your avatar picture. I agree; Be confident & be you :]
BeautifullyMehh
BeautifullyMehh

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 24th August 2010, 5:21 pm

@ NaturallyBriaful maybe they're jealous? Cause you're definetly rocking that short cut Smile
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyneenee 29th August 2010, 4:17 pm

I am thee only natural at my school I know of I'm a little nerrvous about going back to school with my TWA I love it but idk just nervous I went to orientation you can find out how that went at http://thatonegirlbuckethead.blogspot.com/2010/08/high-school.html I got a lot of stares for it Shocked I was suprised because I just got so used to it over the summer I was like uh what are you looking at?
curlyneenee
curlyneenee

http://www.thatonechickbuckethead.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mchlljy 29th August 2010, 6:19 pm

SiiSii94 wrote:i know im sort of late,lol.but i go to a catholic all white school.And im a junior, so when they see me with my hair in a ponytail,all i get is "omg,y dnt u wear it like that??" "its so poofy and big!!".to me i like the attention.lol.But of course, i went to a football game and these girls with repunzel weaves were giving me stank looks.

I go to a Catholic (almost) all white school too but i'm a senior. As far as I'm concerned, a majority love my hair. Even the teachers give me compliments, especially when I do braid outs! Haha but the compliments help me continue staying natural. But people always ask me to wear my hair out more often but I have way too much to deal with

Being Natural in Highschool - Page 3 Pictur11

I'm the one in white with all that hair lol
But I got it cut recently because my split ends were monstrous so it's not that big any more
mchlljy
mchlljy

http://www.mchlljy.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alove15 22nd September 2010, 8:56 pm

Ppl are cool with it. My friends ask me for hair advice cuz they know im obssessed lol My school is super big so sometimes I pass a fellow natural and they kno wassup afro
alove15
alove15

Back to top Go down

Post by illybillybay 23rd September 2010, 6:04 pm

well I go to a schoool where theres rreeeally not a lot of black people prolly being generous 112 out of like over a thousand students! you see lots of guys with dreads and there are a few people that are natural but they either straighten or wear in braids and ocasional extensions/weave. I got a lot of compliments when I went like this and people wanted to touch it Smile its kinda funny cuz it is just hair after all but y know so.... I dont really get nasty looks or dont pay much attentiono to them, once I think that happened and sometimes I think people that were ur friends and liked u a week ago when u had ur hair straightened see u and like turn away quick like they dont kno u but u kno i still like them so theyll just get used to it and not feel like im an alien or something. thats what happens. Today though I sometimes would see ppl looking at me and I completely just was thinking what??? becuz i really jst was feeling like normal and like theres nothing wrong with me! it was so great! i kindof love my hair Smile
illybillybay
illybillybay

Back to top Go down

Post by nanie 4th October 2010, 12:34 am

i'ma newbie! Razz

but i go to a predominantly black school in south florida. im dominican and i consider myself a black hispanic so i blend in pretty well. my last perm was 1/23/10 and school ended in june so it wasnt that bad to work with the new growth. but over the summer i couldnt take it. when i straightened my hair it was almost to my bra but it was super thin at the ends. so i cut it some in june, then again in july, and then finally cut off like half hair the day before school began. i went to a dominican salon and they cut and blew it out. my curly hair isnt long enough to rock without help so i always do a braid out if i plan to wear my hair curly to school. i get compliments from some girls and the guys dont really say anything except "why did you cut your hair?!" its been ok mostly but some days i jus go with a pony tail to school and i feel kinda unpretty lol. my family hasnt been too supportive. the adults look at me like im crazy but my cuzins around my age love it and support me (a lot of them are natural or are going natural too). but im thinking in the long run. a year from today my hair will be all curly without me having to fake it with braids lol Razz im not too hung up on having long hair right now. i just want it to grow out to at least bob length and be all curly.
nanie
nanie

Back to top Go down

Being Natural in Highschool - Page 3 Empty Re:being natural in highschool.

Post by c`brie 11th October 2010, 6:40 pm

Well ive been natural all my life i didint satart getting teased untill sophmore year. I love mi hair so i mostly just ignore it. The most common question i get is " where did you get your weave?" lol Rolling Eyes i just just reply jesus.

Hey does n e body have cool styes im going to wedding need help pronto ????? confused

c`brie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. CiCi 12th October 2010, 12:21 pm

I'd like to tell you ladies that no matter what, if you're natural in high school, I have the utmost respect for you! I wanted to but I was too chicken. Kudos to you ladies
Mz. CiCi
Mz. CiCi

http://lesisworld.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ladykay6 12th October 2010, 2:00 pm

I would rather go thru my transition now, considering this is the last time I'll see most of these people.. lol But college opens up a whole new door and many more first impressions.. I'd rather be natural or almost done transitioning when I embark on that new chapter of life.
ladykay6
ladykay6

Back to top Go down

Post by AlmostLovely 13th October 2010, 12:48 am

I live in an Alabama college town(but am in high-school) and am the only girl with a 'fro. People either love it or hate it. I get a lot of crap from some black people, but most people are OK and evrybuddy's always trying to touch it.

The "OMG its so FLUFFY!"s and "Afro-Samurai!"s can get annoying at times but I survive.

One thing I've noticed is that people are always observing how "brave" and "different" and "edgy" I am like not perming my hair is some spectacular new feat worthy of the utmost praise, buthe primary reason I rock a 'fro is because that's how my hair grows out of my head. Rolling Eyes

but hey! Im kind of a fashion icon and I dont even have to try! afro

It definitely singles me out as "that girl" though. I'm 5'6'' + at least three inches of hair... theres no blending into a crowd, even when I want to...

AlmostLovely

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 20th October 2010, 2:10 pm

Can I just take the time to commend all you ladies?!! I truly think y'all are the ish, and don't let anyone tell you different!!!!

I've never had a relaxer--chose to stay natural all through high school, which was from 2001-2005. In the south. So, you could imagine the torture..... lol

Well, it wasn't THAT bad. I only got flack from other black girls; white girls LOVED my hair. I was called everything from bird's nest to Whoopi (who mind you has locs? Never understood that reference). However, when I began flat ironing my hair on occasion, comments went from "girl, you need a perm" to "Janay, I didn't know you were mixed!" scratch

Like someone (I think) posted earlier, college is a very different experience. I went from zero play to.... to.... well, lots of guys liking the curls!!!!

I wish I had a network like this in high school! You guys are awesome!

MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3