CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you think natural hair/going natural is a trend?

+8
QuirkyCurly
1FlySista
Ambitious_Tiff
misskris
CarlaAR
AllNaturalBeauty
Sebastain13
Tnt38
12 posters

Go down

Do you think natural hair/going natural is a trend? Empty Do you think natural hair/going natural is a trend?

Post by Tnt38 3rd December 2010, 1:20 pm

So it seems like all I see in advertisments, commericials, magazines etc is natural women AND men! I feel like there is a movement going on, but others say that it is a trend and will fade just like any other hot topic. I personally went natural without really understanding all that it comes with. Glady, I LOVE and accept my hair. I read some stories of women who try to follow the "trend" but end up disappointed, confused, lost, and resort back to relaxing.

So my question is do you think natural hair is a trend? Or are people really open to the beauty of natural hair and are in it for the long run?
Also why do you think casting directors, modeling agencies and others are now taking a interest in natural hair all of a sudden?

Tnt38
Tnt38

Back to top Go down

Do you think natural hair/going natural is a trend? Empty Re: Do you think natural hair/going natural is a trend?

Post by Sebastain13 3rd December 2010, 1:34 pm

I must agree with you as well It seems that each time Im looking at television I see more people that are natural as well I do like it
I have been natural before (in the 90's) & I didnt understand it at all but now I have so much more appreciation for my natural hair I understand Shamekia(my hair) alot better than ever & I learn more about her daily
I plan on keeping my hair this way for awhile but I hope that before people decide to go natural they think long & hard about this because it is a journey
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Do you think natural hair/going natural is a trend? Empty Re: Do you think natural hair/going natural is a trend?

Post by AllNaturalBeauty 3rd December 2010, 1:55 pm

I think natural hair is so much more than a trend, people are starting to realize that our hair is beautiful and can be taken care of with the right techniques and products. That's why casting directors are using more naturals because its appealing to the public, and so many people are now familiar with it.

BeautifulTrace I love your hair, how long have you been natural?
AllNaturalBeauty
AllNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 3rd December 2010, 2:22 pm

Before I went natural, I thought the only natural styles were '70 afros and locks and I didn't want either. Anything else was for people with "good hair".

When I started looking up how to care for natural hair online in 2002, I found some good information (not as much as now!) that pushed me in the right direction.

I think its the world wide web that is really helping women and young girls to consider going natural. Between the forums, message boards, online photo albums, videos, the new crop of hair care products (that's mostly online), there is so much more information out there than when going natural was still an after thought to me.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 3rd December 2010, 2:33 pm

Hi all! I have to say that I don't think it's necessarily a trend. But that may depend on what population you are asking. I have been natural for almost 15 years and being natural was "in" way before that. I honestly didn't have a reason for going natural. I was in college, was NEVER one for going to the salon and keeping up my relaxer so I just chopped it all off. Several times since then too!! My texture of hair (I guess a 3c) never needed to be relaxed in the 1st place - I wish I knew that way back when!!! Really, NO one's hair NEEDS to be relaxed. Black people got so caught up in this "good hair" crap. My dad used to get mad at me, my mom and sister when we relaxed our hair saying we were "trying to be white!" Which of course was never the case. My reason (and I guess my mom's too) was because I hated getting my hair yanked on everytime she combed it!!

So anyway, now if you're asking younger ladies like yourself (and I am not saying ALL) it may be a trend. We see, like you said, all these models and chicks in videos and whoever that have this beautiful natural curly/kinky/wavy hair and they think it's hot so they wanna achieve that same look. Some trends are good and if it is a trend, then so be it.

But for me and most people I know who have been natural for a length of time, it's not. And some of my friends are just recently going natural. It's healthier (potentially) and just better. I am pretty positive that I will never go back to a relaxer. When I had one it broke my hair off and I didn't maintain it (i guess that's why it broke off) but like I said I don't care for going to a salon. I'd rather do it myself or have a friend do it for me.
Again, I think it's relative. Depends on who you ask. For some it is, for some it's not!!
afro
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 3:18 pm

I agree with misskris. I think there are a lot of people who "go natural" to just be trendy but for those doing it for the right reasons, it'll be a lasting change.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 3rd December 2010, 5:35 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:I agree with misskris. I think there are a lot of people who "go natural" to just be trendy but for those doing it for the right reasons, it'll be a lasting change.
Agreed!
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 3rd December 2010, 6:09 pm

Yes unfortunately. pale

I want to wear my hair like this permanently and I don't want anybody telling me in a year or so that its "out of style." I do wonder what members and websites will become obsolete when this trend really leaves.

But on the flip side, I do believe that people who go natural will stay and it will become accepted. More women are embracing it and its really a beautiful thing. But then again, we will still have to deal with those negative nancy's that say we should go back to the creamy crack and the ones who quit in the beginning.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by LetMeFixMyHurr 3rd December 2010, 6:15 pm

For some people I believe they do think its tready but after putting all of that work into transitioning and speading all that money on different products lol. Why would you throw away all of your hard work? Its crazy!!!!
LetMeFixMyHurr
LetMeFixMyHurr

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 3rd December 2010, 6:55 pm

Black women are taking note that our black is beautiful...plus it too much time u have to invest into growing out ur natural hair for it to be a trend and only the strong will survive lol
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 6:58 pm

@jkinky I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 3rd December 2010, 7:02 pm

@ambitious_Tiff woot! thanx....i work hard on her lol
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnt38 3rd December 2010, 7:31 pm

@AllNaturalBeauty thanks!!! I've been relaxer free for 6 months, BC'd this past August.

You ladies have some good opinions. I do believe that with all the work one must put into becoming/being natural it would seem like they would never revert back to the "creamy crack". I just think it is all about personal preference some women LOVE relaxed hair and others LOVE their natural. The women who choose to see what the "other" side might be like will either love it or hate it.

All I know is that I am one of the women who is in LOVE with my natural hair and even if it is just a trend....than I guess I will be of the ones who will one day be rocking the "old" look forever!!! lol afro
Tnt38
Tnt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 7:43 pm

BeautifulTrace wrote:@AllNaturalBeauty thanks!!! I've been relaxer free for 6 months, BC'd this past August.

You ladies have some good opinions. I do believe that with all the work one must put into becoming/being natural it would seem like they would never revert back to the "creamy crack". I just think it is all about personal preference some women LOVE relaxed hair and others LOVE their natural. The women who choose to see what the "other" side might be like will either love it or hate it.

All I know is that I am one of the women who is in LOVE with my natural hair and even if it is just a trend....than I guess I will be of the ones who will one day be rocking the "old" look forever!!! lol afro

WELL SAID!! I think we will all be better off once we learn to just respect one anothers' preferences. But I'm with you. I'll stay throwback forever!! woot!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 3rd December 2010, 11:48 pm

Im currently transitioning something i been wanting to do for years but always said it will be to hard because i didn't want to cut my hair and wasn't sure how i will style my hair etc , but i decided to stop relaxing 9 months ago because my hair was looking dull thin weak not solely because of the relaxer but because i never really took care of my hair i use to slap a perm in it weave it up or wig it up and that's it i decided to make the effort to care for my care and see the result , i didn't do it for others or to follow a 'trend " more like a personal decision i do know i will never relax again but i will wear some protective styles with extensions when i please and i will also straighten my hair seldomly .
I decided to go natural because as a black woman my hair is very versatile and i should keep my options open ...
I think if some are following a trend to be natural they will either fall in love with themselves and hair and remain natural the ones that was solely in it for the superficial will go back to the creamy crack lol
Either way i think going through this journey is necessary for every black woman once relaxed to through it opens your mind and shows you that we have options and do not need to conform to the norm if we don't want to
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Color_Me_Coily 3rd December 2010, 11:53 pm

LetMeFixMyHurr wrote:For some people I believe they do think its tready but after putting all of that work into transitioning and speading all that money on different products lol. Why would you throw away all of your hard work? Its crazy!!!!

totally agreed... btw... I love your name =D
Color_Me_Coily
Color_Me_Coily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down