CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing hair

5 posters

Go down

Sealing hair Empty Sealing hair

Post by chocolate-kinks 28th May 2010, 10:22 pm

Okay I think I may have figured whats up without my hair. I don't think it likes oils, or shea butter. The only issues is that I know how to seal with oils. Is there another way of doing it without the oils?
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Sealing hair Empty Re: Sealing hair

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 10:23 pm

Which oils have you tried? What part of your routine do you apply the oils?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 28th May 2010, 10:25 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Which oils have you tried? What part of your routine do you apply the oils?

coconut oil. My hair HATES jojoba also. I use it in the sealing process and it makes my hair hard. Also mixing it in products does nothing.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 10:26 pm

When do you apply it to your hair? I apply my leave in, oil, then my shea butter mix. At what point in your regimen do you apply the oil?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 28th May 2010, 10:27 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:When do you apply it to your hair? I apply my leave in, oil, then my shea butter mix. At what point in your regimen do you apply the oil?

Water based, oil, then cream. I think my hair may hate shea too.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 10:31 pm

I've heard a few other curlies on here say their hair hates oils and shea butter too. Hopefully they will chime in.

Sorry I couldnt help.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 28th May 2010, 10:32 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I've heard a few other curlies on here say their hair hates oils and shea butter too. Hopefully they will chime in.

Sorry I couldnt help.

Its okay. I appreciate you trying Smile
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 28th May 2010, 10:45 pm

Have you tried just using olive oil to seal? I found that my hair doesn't really like shea butter as well because it makes my hair feel icky (prob try again in the winter), but I used to olive oil to seal your hair and it did ok for the time being. Now I use coconut oil which works really well, but maybe you should use olive oil instead or at least use a conditioner on your hair before sealing so that made it won't make your hair so icky or crunchy. HTH

*Maybe just using one oil may help...one time I seal with multiple oils and my hair came out greasy like a jheri curl, lol!
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 28th May 2010, 10:54 pm

~JOME~ wrote:Have you tried just using olive oil to seal? I found that my hair doesn't really like shea butter as well because it makes my hair feel icky (prob try again in the winter), but I used to olive oil to seal your hair and it did ok for the time being. Now I use coconut oil which works really well, but maybe you should use olive oil instead or at least use a conditioner on your hair before sealing so that made it won't make your hair so icky or crunchy. HTH

*Maybe just using one oil may help...one time I seal with multiple oils and my hair came out greasy like a jheri curl, lol!

I left condish in my hair once and it made it hard Sad. Wondering if I may be a bit protein sensitive. Yeah I might just try one oil at a time. Thanks.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 28th May 2010, 11:01 pm

Yeah, Giovanni SAS conditioner made my hair hard so I use Herbal Essences HH instead, BUT a couple of days ago, I tried Giovanni SAS conditioner again. This time, I added a tbsp of honey, olive oil, and coconut oil with the conditioner and used it as a DC. My hair felt baby soft once I rinse it off, so maybe this will help.

* I haven't tried my mix as a leave in, but I planned on doing it during the weekend so...we'll see what happens. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 11:15 pm

I can cowash and deep conditon with protein conditioners but I have to wash it out. If protein is near the bottom of the ingredient list, then I can use it.

Hopefully the olive oil with work for you.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 29th May 2010, 12:13 am

~JOME~ wrote:Yeah, Giovanni SAS conditioner made my hair hard so I use Herbal Essences HH instead, BUT a couple of days ago, I tried Giovanni SAS conditioner again. This time, I added a tbsp of honey, olive oil, and coconut oil with the conditioner and used it as a DC. My hair felt baby soft once I rinse it off, so maybe this will help.

* I haven't tried my mix as a leave in, but I planned on doing it during the weekend so...we'll see what happens. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oh okay, thats awesome. I can't use coconut oil or jojoba in my hair. My hair hates them both. I'll try a different oil though.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by kbelle 29th May 2010, 12:28 am

Hey there,

I have tried castor oil for sealing, but only at night and that seems to give me the best results. By the morning my hair soaks it in and it feels perfectly soft. My hair is quite dense and I think that has something to do with it.
I am going to carefully include it in the summer in case it's too much. I have found that coconut oil works best for me as a pre-poo. it's otherwise hard on me if my hair is not wet; but Olive Oil is best throughout my regular routine, but sparingly!I use jojoba as a way to smooth the frizzies mainly but not as a seal - it seems to do NOTHING in that department, I've also noticed if it's in a pomade mix that works best, again, not as great by itself. I bet you will find similar that some oils just work so much better combined or layered with other products than by itself.
If you are okay with using products, I am using Bee Mines Luscious Moisture and that has been working the best, again I think its the mixture.
Don't you love the trial and error?
kbelle
kbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 29th May 2010, 12:51 am

kbelle wrote:Hey there,

I have tried castor oil for sealing, but only at night and that seems to give me the best results. By the morning my hair soaks it in and it feels perfectly soft. My hair is quite dense and I think that has something to do with it.
I am going to carefully include it in the summer in case it's too much. I have found that coconut oil works best for me as a pre-poo. it's otherwise hard on me if my hair is not wet; but Olive Oil is best throughout my regular routine, but sparingly!I use jojoba as a way to smooth the frizzies mainly but not as a seal - it seems to do NOTHING in that department, I've also noticed if it's in a pomade mix that works best, again, not as great by itself. I bet you will find similar that some oils just work so much better combined or layered with other products than by itself.
If you are okay with using products, I am using Bee Mines Luscious Moisture and that has been working the best, again I think its the mixture.

Lol I always go through trials and always seem to get errors with my hair, but guess what!!!! I just made a mix for my hair and its BOOOOMBASTIC
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameenah 29th May 2010, 12:52 am

maybe it's not the oils but the process in which you use them, do you use them on dry or wet hair , do you apply you moisturizer first or after,
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 29th May 2010, 12:56 am

chocolate-kinks wrote:

Lol I always go through trials and always seem to get errors with my hair, but guess what!!!! I just made a mix for my hair and its BOOOOMBASTIC

Ooooo.....do tell! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 29th May 2010, 2:57 am

Ameenah wrote:maybe it's not the oils but the process in which you use them, do you use them on dry or wet hair , do you apply you moisturizer first or after,

Wet hair. I apply the moisturizer, oil base, then cream base
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 29th May 2010, 2:59 am

~JOME~ wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

Ooooo.....do tell! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

8 tsp of aloe vera
4 tsp of glycerin
2 tsp of oil
2 tsp of melted cocoa butter
blend till creamy
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content