CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing without oil

5 posters

Go down

Sealing without oil Empty Sealing without oil

Post by ... 6th May 2010, 5:27 pm

Is there anything else out there that can seal in moisture that's not an oil or butter? I have fine hair that apparently hates most, if not all, oils and butter. I've tried so many different combinations and moisturizers, but nothing seems to work. I've tried coconut, jojoba, olive, castor (regular and Jamaican black), avocado, and sweet almond oils and shea and mango butter, just to name a few, but my hair always ends up really dry and crispy by the time my hair dries (I apply my moisturizer to wet hair). Are there any other products I can use to seal in the moisture? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Sealing without oil Empty Re: Sealing without oil

Post by HappyCurly 6th May 2010, 6:11 pm

What type of moisturizer do you use under the oil? Maybe it's the moisturizer and not the oil.

I don't know if I'm doing good to my hair or not, but I try to. I don't put any moisturizer on before I seal with oil. I wash it, and condition it and seal while it is sopping wet with water. This week end I sealed with a mix of olive oil and water, to seal in the water. My hair isn't as crinkly and hard as when I sealed with plain olive oil on damp hair.

But, I do hope someone can think of a sealer without oil or butter; this oil is breaking out my face! It gets on my face skin.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 6th May 2010, 7:52 pm

HappyCurly wrote:What type of moisturizer do you use under the oil? Maybe it's the moisturizer and not the oil.

I don't know if I'm doing good to my hair or not, but I try to. I don't put any moisturizer on before I seal with oil. I wash it, and condition it and seal while it is sopping wet with water. This week end I sealed with a mix of olive oil and water, to seal in the water. My hair isn't as crinkly and hard as when I sealed with plain olive oil on damp hair.

But, I do hope someone can think of a sealer without oil or butter; this oil is breaking out my face! It gets on my face skin.

Right now I'm using the Alba Botanica Leave-In, and I know my hair loves this leave-in. I've tried different things (like spritz and leaving in regular conditioner, both of which my hair hates), and this has been the best so far. It's been working really well for quite a while; it's always the oils that stop working. I time was using EVOO, and it worked well for a while, but now it kind of just sucks. The same thing happens all the time; they work for a while, and then suddenly my hair hates it completely... Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 7th May 2010, 1:55 am

hey,

Have you tried mixing in your oil and leave in together, instead of applying the leave in and the the oil as a layer. This will still lock in the moisture. The goal to lock in moisture is in 3 layers. water/leave in-oil-cream based (butter). I make my own leave in and I use filtered water, some conditioner, and various oil, form my oil blend, just a few squirts. I also have an aloe spritz.

Nevertheless, you can mix the oil and leave in, instead of directly applying the oil to your. This could make the difference for you. Do a patch test by mixing some of you alba bontanica leave in and an oil of your choice. Say on your next twist set and use that on a few twist or what not.

The only other cream base I can think of that is soo incredibly light is Qhelmet Biologics Cocoa Detangling Ghee, the are running a sale tomorrow. I have used this on top of my leave in with the oil already mixed in. Without adding anything else not even shea butter and OMG my hair was so moistrized and light and soft OMG and I have 4a/b hair. Usually need to use a heavy cream.

The only other product I can suggest is KCCC line it is light and very moistrizing it is a gel, all natural and hold like nobody's business ! I used it on my twist set this week and OMG tomorrow will be day 5, I added nothing to my hair, only spritz my scalp with an oil free growth spritz (Bee Mine) and that's it ! Truth you may just need to use a really good moistrizing gel. Like I said KCCC is the truth then there is Qhelmet Biologics honey bush tea soft gel and it's incredibly moistrizing and has some hold.

I hope this help hun
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 7th May 2010, 9:22 am

Have you tried clarifying your hair? Sometimes when a product stops working it's bc of build up
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 17th June 2010, 12:45 pm

So are you supposed to seal everyday or just when you wash? I have fine hair as well and my hair gets weighed down easily so I can imagine what it would be like to add moisturizer AND oil everyday...I like movement in my hair not helmet hair....so what do you guys suggest?

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 17th June 2010, 4:52 pm

@ SuperBadd I would still use the 3 layer lock moisture method that I mentioned above, but I would use a light moisturizer as your cream layer. Any hair milk would work.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 18th June 2010, 10:49 am

I was thinking that maybe I should make my own little concoction. Thanks so much!!!! Now I'm supposed to seal everyday with the 3 layers of moisture?

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 18th June 2010, 10:54 am

every day?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 18th June 2010, 11:14 am

Well, i am open to try it...my plan is to find some coconut oil today. Thanks a bunch!

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down