CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisturizing & Sealing Hair Daily...

5 posters

Go down

Moisturizing & Sealing Hair Daily... Empty Moisturizing & Sealing Hair Daily...

Post by CurlyK 31st March 2010, 12:24 pm

Hi!

I'm glad to have found this forum - I've already gathered a wealth of information so a BIG thanks to everyone for sharing & contributing, this is such a wonderful resource.

My question is - over the past several days I've been watching a lot of tutorials & reading a lot (on various blogs/blog sites) about how to properly care for my natural hair. I've learned that keeping your hair properly moisturized is a big thing (bigger than I thought really) and most things I've read seem to say to moisturize the hair daily. I've also read it's important to not only moisturize but to seal afterwards....so I guess I'm wondering: If you moisturize and seal daily, isn't the 2nd time you do it ineffective since the first time around you sealed it? Example: Moisturize & seal on Monday. If you repeat this step on Tuesday - isn't it ineffective because you sealed on Monday? Therefore, the moisture on Tuesday won't penetrate the hair.....unless you wash your hair every night....or does the seal 'wear off' after several hours?

Hope this isn't too confusing!

(also started a blog about my journey to learn about how to care for my natural hair - feel free to drop by and say hi!)
CurlyK
CurlyK

http://www.kinkycurlystrands.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Moisturizing & Sealing Hair Daily... Empty Re: Moisturizing & Sealing Hair Daily...

Post by BlondeByDesire 31st March 2010, 12:35 pm

Some others will chime in soon, but you don't have to wash your hair daily in order to moisturize and seal it.

Some ladies do it everyday, some every other day some every three days. Depends on how your hair feels. You don't won't your hair to dry out and feel crunchy or stiff or not hydrated. This will lead to breakage, etc.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Moisturizing & Sealing Hair Daily... Empty Re: Moisturizing & Sealing Hair Daily...

Post by envizionj 31st March 2010, 12:45 pm

I wash my hair once a week, but moisturize every day. I apply a quarter size amount of my shea butter mix (unrefined shea butter, unrefined coconut oil, Black Jamaican castor oil, Nature's Blessings pomade) to my hair daily. I just put some in my hands, rub it together and smooth over my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyK 31st March 2010, 12:59 pm

Thanks so much for a quick response! I should have perhaps been a tad more clear Smile and included that I have no intentions of washing my hair everyday Smile In trying to fgure out a regimen my plan is to start by washing my hair every 10 days (which is a substantial improvement for me). I'm just slightly confused by the general idea of moisturizing & sealing every day (or every other day, or every three days) if everything after the first moisturize & seal don't get to the hair because of the seal. I know I've read of people who in their routine wash weekly but moisturize/seal dayily (or every other day)...from my understanding the moisture wouldn't be getting to the strand...unless the seal wears off... ? (I'm sure this sounds slightly more confusing than it is!)
CurlyK
CurlyK

http://www.kinkycurlystrands.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 3rd April 2010, 9:33 pm

As long as you don't use products that block moisture from the hair (non water soluable silicones, mineral oil, petrolatum) you can moisturize and seal everyday and it will penetrate. I wash about once a week or so and moisturize/seal morning and night. My hair is in great shape.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 5th April 2010, 1:30 am

I had the same question CURLY K. You always hear the best thing to moisturize your hair with is water or water based products and to keep the moisture in/seal, use shea butter or an oil. So are you too wet your hair everyday and seal or is using shea butter or other sealants good to use by itself everyday, does it moisturize too? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down