CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anybody really wear twists/braids?

+4
sweetdrk1
NhappyJackie
ChrsLvsBks
Free2Be
8 posters

Go down

Can anybody really wear twists/braids? Empty Can anybody really wear twists/braids?

Post by Free2Be 28th May 2010, 4:50 am

I haven't worn my hair in a protective style at all this year. It's been wash and gos. The three or four times I've twisted my hair, I took it down the next day. So, I watched a YouTube video of a lady doing very small/thin twists: Jerseystylezz's Two Strand Twist on Natural Hair

My hair is practically the same length now, so I tried it, but...mine just don't look cute. I blow dried my hair a little first to get some length, then I used MJ Baby Buttercream to twist. It took me 3 freakin' hours.

Anyway, I will try and take a picture tomorrow, but I'm not sure how I feel about wearing them out. I'm beginning to think that only certain faces/people can carry the twist look well. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I mean, do you ever see another natural and think that their hair is a mess? Like, "She can't twist." or "She should have pinned that side up." LOL I dunno, I'm just really self-conscious about wearing anything other than a wash and go 'fro or puff.

Any suggestions?
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Can anybody really wear twists/braids? Empty Possible Tips to Make the Best Twist Out

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 9:56 am

From you picture, your hair seems to have a looser curl. While some say to make smaller twists, I think looser curls fare better with larger twists. I would also suggest just grabbing sections of hair and not parting. If you would like a part for the front, I think that would be fine.

While your curl pattern appears looser than mine, I do not like my twist out on small to very small/tiny twists. They are not defined. If they are about 1/2" or larger, I love my twist out.

You may also try using mousse to set them. What do you currently use to set them?

Another thing to try is to twist after your hair has air dried. This can be after you have worn a WnG for a day or two.

Keep us posted.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Can anybody really wear twists/braids? Empty Re: Can anybody really wear twists/braids?

Post by Free2Be 28th May 2010, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. :~)

The first two times I did twists I did them on slightly damp hair using QB Burdock Root Butter Cream and Honeybush Tea Soft Gel. I wound up with a bunch of frizz.

The next time I twisted after a wash and go (that evening after it had dried) and used MJ Curly Pudding. This time I ended up with almost straight hair after untwisting (I even sat under a hood dryer to set the twists).

The time after that I twisted dry, adding no products other than what I put on for my wash and go that morning, which was QB/BRBC. This time it was better, fluffier, but it still looked crazy.

So, this morning the twists are much longer...but they look like little snakes. LOL I bobby pinned the front to the side and pinned the sides behind my ears overnight. So it's staying in that direction. Not bad, but if I decide to wear them out today I feel I need to do "something" to them. I was hoping to wear them through next week. They seem a little damp still from the MJ Baby Buttercream, but have a nice sheen and feel soft.

We shall see. I've just noticed that because I do have a looser curl pattern, twists/braids make my hair straighter, kwim?

Thanks again!

ETA: Here are two pix of the twists. Yes, I'm still in my PJ's and staring crazily at the camera. LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Free2Be on 28th May 2010, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add photos)
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Can anybody really wear twists/braids? Empty Re: Can anybody really wear twists/braids?

Post by NhappyJackie 28th May 2010, 1:52 pm

What do you see wrong with you twists? I think they look really good. You should rock them proudly.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 2:00 pm

I do not see what you see. They look good.

Your hair will likely be straighter when doing small twists. Especially if you are using products that are too heavy for your hair. You may be better off using a milk-type product. Try making them wider/larger for definition.

I cannot tell but your hair does not look that dense/thick. Would you say that your hair is thinner than, the same as or thicker than a piece of frayed thread?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 28th May 2010, 2:31 pm

Thanks, ladies.

Chris (?), I'd say my hair is thinner than a frayed piece of thread. When I blow dried it last night for just a bit, my fro was enormous and it makes it look as though I have thick hair. When it dries, it dries puffy and looks thick, but any product that smooths it out makes it behave like it is...really thin.

So that will affect how I twist, right? Hmm.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 28th May 2010, 3:49 pm

[quote="Free2Be"]Thanks, ladies.

Chris (?), I'd say my hair is thinner than a frayed piece of thread. When I blow dried it last night for just a bit, my fro was enormous and it makes it look as though I have thick hair. When it dries, it dries puffy and looks thick, but any product that smooths it out makes it behave like it is...really thin.

So that will affect how I twist, right? Hmm.[/quote]Yes, you hair is likely thin. You want to avoid thick, rich creamy products and opt for lighter more lotion or milk-type products. I think thicker twists will look better.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 28th May 2010, 5:47 pm

I agree with the others, those twist look great! I think this is a case of you being harder on yourself than needed!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th May 2010, 5:49 pm

I think your twist are cute!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 28th May 2010, 9:34 pm

I don't see what you see at all. I think your twists look fine. It's different and you aren't used to seeing yourself with that hairstyle, maybe that's why you think something is not right.

Keep doing it though until you are completely satisfied. We are our own worst critics.

Good luck! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 29th May 2010, 3:57 am

Thanks for all the encouragement. I really appreciate it. I took the twists down tonight since it's a long weekend...I can practice my braiding/cornrow skills over the weekend and see how I fare. I actually like this look/twist out. I have no idea what will happen to it if I sleep on it, even in my bonnet.

Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th May 2010, 12:28 pm

Your hair's shape is very flattering, beautiful lady and results! Glad you liked it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 29th May 2010, 2:02 pm

the twists look great to me too, maybe you just feel a little uncomfy in them because its not the norm for you. Once you get acclimated I think you will have a different view. Alot of twisting/braiding and twist/braid outs take trial and error....its not meant for them to be perfect but for you to get comfortable with styling your hair and then wearing it how you like it...I love your twists, I say you should rock em!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by JerseyGyrl 1st June 2010, 8:38 pm

i have the same problem. for the life of me i can't figure it out. My twists look good for about 10 minutes, then it's nothing but frizz. Sad
JerseyGyrl
JerseyGyrl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down