CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those of you who wear twists

+6
krazy coils
rayray19
sweetdrk1
Lynnieluve
PaganWifey
laleepop14
10 posters

Go down

For those of you who wear twists Empty For those of you who wear twists

Post by laleepop14 15th November 2010, 3:12 pm

Okay so I have been fully natural for about 5 months and some change and I believe I have enough length to do some twists on my hair but don't really know where to start.

For those of you who do twists I have a few questions

-How do you start off? Do you have a style in mind or do you just freestyle?
-Do you make parts or just use your fingers?
-What kind of products do you use? Spray bottle, gel, leave in conditioner?
-Do you do them on dry, damp, or wet hair?

I know I have more but can only think of these for now...
I would love to do maybe some braids or flat twists in the front and the rest (back of my head) two strand twists or all ove it twisted.. Its getting cold and I need to do more protective styles on me and ,my daughter. I see soooo many styles that I know I can achieve but always get hesitant on starting...

Any suggestions, advice, will help.

FYI: My avatar is a picture of my hair after I blow dried it and put about 6 or so cornrows in it and took them down...I have a decent amount of length just dont know how or where to start..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

For those of you who wear twists Empty Re: For those of you who wear twists

Post by PaganWifey 15th November 2010, 3:23 pm

I use Oyin Handmade's Burnt Sugar Pomade or their Shine and Define and just grab and twist. Hair is damp. Spritz with water if it dries out while I'm doing it.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th November 2010, 3:28 pm

Thanks, I just get so frustrated like where do I start... I have been hearing great things about that Oyin, I need to go get me some, Im tryin to calm down on my pj-ism...lol...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th November 2010, 3:41 pm

How do you start off? Because I like for my twist to be "neat" I use a comb to part

Do you have a style in mind or do you just freestyle? I dont usually do a"style" with my twist. I only rock a center part

Like so...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
-Do you make parts or just use your fingers? I part my hair into 5 sections. I first part from ear to ear. Then I make a part down the middle in the front only. In the back I make 3 sections, left, right and middle. This is what works for me.

-What kind of products do you use? Spray bottle, gel, leave in conditioner? I use my leave in conditioner, oil of choice and my styler of choice. Twist set I am rocking now, I used Giovanni Direct leave in, coconut oil, and Uncle Funky's Daughter Extra Butter.

If you plan to wear the twist for a few days, I would suggest using something with hold.

Do you do them on dry, damp, or wet hair?
Twist done on wet hair = shrinkage
Twist done on damp hair = shows off a little length
Twist done on dry hair = shows off maximum length

If you want to wear braids/flat twist in the front, part your hair from ear to ear. Then you could just grab and go when you do your twist in the back or you can part it and make neat rows.

If you need a visual, check out Youtube. There are a ton of tutorials on how to do twist.

I hope this helps.

Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th November 2010, 3:42 pm

I was going to say you need to talk to Lynn..but there she is! The Twist Queen!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 15th November 2010, 3:45 pm

-I use my fingers when doing twist..when i did part them once it didnt look as free flowing as it did when i dont part..

-ok so when i work with damp hair i use gel (KCCC or eco styler) because it seems to give me more hold and ALOT of definition..but when i twist my hair dry (which is a lot easier) i use qhemet AOHC (a heavy cream) to twist my hair..it makes them soft and fluffy

-I only do my twist on wet hair when i have my wash days and don't feel like waiting for my hair to dry..but normally i do them on dry hair (I spray a light mist of water just to help with separating)
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th November 2010, 3:45 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I was going to say you need to talk to Lynn..but there she is! The Twist Queen!

lol!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 15th November 2010, 3:56 pm

How do you start off? Do you have a style in mind or do you just freestyle?

If I'm just doing two strand twists I just freestyle. I start from the back and work my way up towards the front of my hair. I only plan a style if I am flattwisting my hair

-Do you make parts or just use your fingers?
I only separate with my fingers for two strand twists and I part my hair with flattwists to make them look neat

-What kind of products do you use? Spray bottle, gel, leave in conditioner?
I use a leave-in conditioner (Koils by Nature Shealoe) and I alternate butters, right now I'm using Qhemet's AOHC.
-Do you do them on dry, damp, or wet hair? I do them on damp hair so that my hair will shrink some but still show some length
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 15th November 2010, 4:13 pm

Hey laleepop

I usually start my twists off in the back and i just grab and go. They usually come out pretty neat. Maybe i will try to comb thing.

No i dont really have a style in mind. My bang area is basically straight. Im not sure if it has heat damage or if that is just my curl pattern. so whatever way i am wearing them i do something else with that area.

I typically use Koils by Nature Gel and Hairvedas Almond Glaze. I also like Shealoe. Ive twisted on wet and dry hair and my spray bottle which usually consists of water, conditioner and some type of oil is always nearby to refresh. I refresh with it daily as well it seems to help with getting the twist back in order after sleeping.

I hope this helps. Im no expert but the more i put twists in the better i seem to get.
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 15th November 2010, 4:18 pm

I have a question: Does anybody else experience shrinkage after wearing a bonnet at night? When i wake up my twist are usually all going back, i put a couple hair pins in at night, this seems to help with order, but to get them to hang some the humidity from the shower seems to help, but I often wet them a little with my spray bottle.

Does anyone else have to do this and could the rewetting of them cause more shrinkage?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 15th November 2010, 4:23 pm

I thought i had posted a questions, but i does not seem to be here.

My question was if anyone elses twists shrink up at night after wearing a bonnet and what you all might do to get the length back.

What i have been doing is letting the humidity from the shower loosen them and also wetting them a little with my spray bottle. I often wonder if the spray bottle may be causing some of the shrinkage since i am wetting my hair, but it seems to help.

What do some of you do to combat shrinkage after the twist are in?
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 15th November 2010, 4:30 pm

@Summerbreeze - I spritz my hair daily and this definitely makes them shrink more. I don't think there is anything to prevent shrinkage if your're spriting with any water based moisturizer.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th November 2010, 5:42 pm

Thank you guys so much....

@Thanks Lynnie!!! You know I stalk you and your twists I agree you are the twist queen...I think I will do them on dry hair.. Im definitely copying this info to put in my hair book...Thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate it...

@krazy coils I have been stalking your twists and hoped you would respond. Thank you so much!!!

Thanks everyone else, I really appreciate it....
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 16th November 2010, 12:50 am

I wont even bother answering the question because you have all the info you need. I do basically the same thing as the other ladies. When I first started doing twist I would just twist my whole head and pull it back but now I add braids to the side. As in my avatar. I just wanted to show you some other ways you can spice up your twist.
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 16th November 2010, 1:07 pm

If I'm going to wear my twist for a few days (which I'm doing now since its going to rain up until Thursday) I use a comb and neatly part my hair and twist. I usually twist some hair in the front so I can have a few pieces of hair in my face.

If I'm going to wear them out I grab sections of hair with my fingers and just twist away.

I always twist my hair soaking wet with water. First I apply EVOO (section my hair and run through with my fingers) then each time I grabbed some hair to twist up I apply Jane Carter Nourish and Shine - run through with my fingers and start twisting. (In the hot summer days I use JC and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie). When the weather is warm I sit under a dryer and allow hair to dry (warm weather after my twists r done and before sitting under dryer I apply Jane Carter wrap n roll. gives hair more shine and bounce - only in warm weather because it has glycerin) and now that the weather is cold I allow my hair to air dry but if I'm in a rush I'll sit under the dryer.

Grease my scalp then unravel my twist from the top, then run my fingers all through my scalp so my hair looks full and you won't see any parts - then I'm good to go. (Some women use a pick for volume but I find the finger technique works better for me) Sometimes I leave my hair as is or I'll do a fro hawk or pin one side of my hair. If my twist outs r old and I'm being lazy I'll just throw a head band on and run out the door.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 16th November 2010, 1:33 pm

Summerbreeze I can't keep a bonnet on so I have satin pillowcases.

And laleepop, summerbreeze had a point. Start from the back!!!! You'll be glad you did!
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 16th November 2010, 4:54 pm

Beautifulyfe wrote:I wont even bother answering the question because you have all the info you need. I do basically the same thing as the other ladies. When I first started doing twist I would just twist my whole head and pull it back but now I add braids to the side. As in my avatar. I just wanted to show you some other ways you can spice up your twist.

Thanks for that info!!! Your hair in your avatar picture is very cute. Well last night I braided the front from ear to ear and am going to attempt to do the back in twists that I will wear until Friday and then twist out!!! Im gonna post pictures tonight after i finish. Thanks again!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 16th November 2010, 4:55 pm

PaganWifey wrote:Summerbreeze I can't keep a bonnet on so I have satin pillowcases.

And laleepop, summerbreeze had a point. Start from the back!!!! You'll be glad you did!

That is definitely a good point. When I do my daughters hair I always start from the back. Didnt even think to incorporate that for my hair as well..

Thanks everyone!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 16th November 2010, 4:57 pm

Emartini04 wrote:If I'm going to wear my twist for a few days (which I'm doing now since its going to rain up until Thursday) I use a comb and neatly part my hair and twist. I usually twist some hair in the front so I can have a few pieces of hair in my face.

If I'm going to wear them out I grab sections of hair with my fingers and just twist away.

I always twist my hair soaking wet with water. First I apply EVOO (section my hair and run through with my fingers) then each time I grabbed some hair to twist up I apply Jane Carter Nourish and Shine - run through with my fingers and start twisting. (In the hot summer days I use JC and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie). When the weather is warm I sit under a dryer and allow hair to dry (warm weather after my twists r done and before sitting under dryer I apply Jane Carter wrap n roll. gives hair more shine and bounce - only in warm weather because it has glycerin) and now that the weather is cold I allow my hair to air dry but if I'm in a rush I'll sit under the dryer.

Grease my scalp then unravel my twist from the top, then run my fingers all through my scalp so my hair looks full and you won't see any parts - then I'm good to go. (Some women use a pick for volume but I find the finger technique works better for me) Sometimes I leave my hair as is or I'll do a fro hawk or pin one side of my hair. If my twist outs r old and I'm being lazy I'll just throw a head band on and run out the door.

Thank you that is great info. You are sort of close to me (not really) and yes it is supposed to be pouring all week which is why Im gonna try to twist it up until Friday or so..Have big plans Friday night and am thinking a twist out from 3 days of twists will be fierce!!! And my first one!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 16th November 2010, 8:44 pm

I'll only add one thing, but mind you I only wear twist for two days for the purpose of preparing for a twist out style. If you have fine hair you may not want to part. I just take sections and twist and I find that the the twist out looks better and fuller.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down