CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Growth - Slow Growth Help

+7
BajanPrincess82
dajewel
Ashima
cherece
MissCurly
Juices-n-Berries
makeupvixen
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No Growth - Slow Growth Help Empty No Growth - Slow Growth Help

Post by makeupvixen 11th May 2010, 6:26 pm

I have been using JBCO since I transitioned.

Sept 09 until December 09 I had about 4 inches of growth.

December 09 until today May 11, 2010, only 1 inch of growth.

HELP! What can I do?

I don't use shampoo
I co-wash 3 times a week, with JBCO added to it.
I henna every 3 months
I seal with Shea Butter/JBCO Mix
I oil with Amla Oil
I Deep Condition with KBB Lucious Locs with JBCO
Satin scarf at night, satin pillow cases
Protective style
Half Wigs, Lace wigs
Buns
Wash and Go
Twist Outs
Multi Vitamins and plenty of water

My hair is thick (appears thicker) but no growth. I'm beyond frustrated.

My hair hates Coconut Oils and EVOO
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

No Growth - Slow Growth Help Empty Re: No Growth - Slow Growth Help

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th May 2010, 6:38 pm

Your hair goes through cycles of growth. I believe a growing phase, a shedding phase, and a resting phase. Each phase can last different lengths depending on the person. So it's possible that from September to December, you hair was in it's growing phase, and now it's resting. Hair grows on it's own, regardless of what we do. It's up to us to retain that length. But it looks like you're doing ok, so it's probably just biological. If you don't see any growth over the next six months, then perhaps you should re-evaluate. But I've heard the different phases can last months and even years. I'll try to find the article for you...

Btw, I never got a chance to tell you. But I looked at your Fotki. You are sooooo pretty. I have this fascination with freckles. Lol. Gorgeous. And great job on the makeup. You should do Youtube tutorials.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCurly 12th May 2010, 12:58 pm

Looking at your routine I didnt see anything about mositurizing and sealing. Your hair is always growing, more than likely you are not retaining any length. JBCO will make your hair grow in thicker but if you dont moisturize and protect the ends you won't keep any of the growth and your hair will remain the same length.

I moisturize and seal especially the ends, once I started doing that I noticed the more length and my hair getting longer. I went from ASL to BSL in a few months by taking better care of my ends. Try that and see if you notice more growth.
MissCurly
MissCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 1:07 pm

i moisturize and seal with Raw Shea Butter and JBCO
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCurly 12th May 2010, 3:13 pm

How often are you moisturizing and sealing? As far as protective styling how often are your ends being protected? If nothing else I agree with juice-n-berries. I would just be patient. A watched pot never boils.
MissCurly
MissCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by cherece 12th May 2010, 3:25 pm

What conditioner are you using to cowash? Since you aren't shampooing, if your conditioner contains -cones (like Dimethicone), you could have some product buildup. You could try using a Lo-poo 1-2 times a month or changing conditioners to cowash with. Also, when conditioning, you want to be sure to cleanse your scalp thoroughly with the conditioner (ie, use the pads of your fingers to gently scrub your scalp) to lift up any buildup on your scalp.

Buildup caused by hair products or sebum can sometimes hinder hair growth.

cherece

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 4:00 pm

For co-washing I use Aussie Moist or Organix with JBCO added to it.

For DC I use KBB Lucious Locs with JBCO added to it
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by cherece 12th May 2010, 4:36 pm

I occasionally use Aussie Moist and Organix conditioners and I know that they both contain -cones but the Aussie Moist cone shouldn't cause too much buildup (I don't know what is in KBB Lucious Locs). From what I understand, in order to remove cones to reduce product buildup, you will want to shampoo occationally (A sulfate-free shampoo like the Organix shampoo should work). I have also heard that baking soda rinses and ACV rinses help too if you don't want to shampoo.
Also, make sure that you either cover your hair at night or sleep on a satin pillow case and try to use a t-shirt or microfiber towel to dry your hair. Cotton pillow cases and terry cloth towels can pull at your curls and cause frizziness.
If this doesn't help, you may also want to look at other things. Stress, hormonal issues, changes in diet can all affect hair growth and can sometimes cause hair loss.

cherece

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 4:41 pm

Yes, I use the ACV Rinse once a month.

KBB (Karen's Body Beautiful) deep conditioner, it's all organic.

I also use the satin scarf, satin bonnet, and 3 satin pillow cases
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 12th May 2010, 5:19 pm

So it seems by the rest of your answers there us indeed nothing more you can do IMO. You seem to have a solid regimen and are taking the neccesary steps for length retention. So I stand by my first statement. Your hair is probably in the resting phase. I think u should just give it time.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 6:00 pm

THANKS EVERYONE

And Thanks for the compliment Juices-N-Berries. I really appreciate it, more than you may know. It's not something I hear from anyone
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashima 12th May 2010, 6:48 pm

Hi Ladies,
I am new to this forum and I am in 2nd month of transitioning. What is JBCO?

Ashima

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th May 2010, 6:50 pm

do you spritz ur hair with water-based products/concoctions? i agree with misscurly: i don't see anything in reference to water addition. co-wash n deep condish is great, but u still need to make sure hair gets water (or aloe) in between co-washing and deep condish sessions. shea butter is more of a conditioner (keeping cuticles laid down and thus softer to the touch).

also, how do your ends look? also, how do your shed hairs look? are they pretty thick at the bulb?

did your hair usually follow this growing pattern when you weren't natural? am curious, how are your nails growing? what is your food regimen? do you stay active because blood rushing to your scalp means more nutrients for hair growth (and some oils, like peppermint, can simulate this effect). if you have done everything you can, i would go to your doctor because dramatic difference in hair growth can be sign that something is changing in your body (hormones, etc). keep us posted

Last edited by dajewel on 12th May 2010, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 6:51 pm

JBCO = Jamaican Black Castor Oil
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 6:53 pm

I add water to my hair throughout the day with a spray bottle.

Then if I want to do a curly look I use KBB Hair Milk in Cranberry Cocktail with water and JBCO in it in a spray bottle.

I also add Rosewater to my hair about once or twice a week when I ca't wash in go.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 12th May 2010, 7:02 pm

Is it that your hair isn't growing, or is it just breaking off? Not sure how you'd be able to tell, but it could just be that you're not retaining length. I have color in my hair, so I can tell that my hair is growing, but in some areas (mainly the middle) my ends are damaged/split, and therefore I'm not retaining length. I'm going to get a trim tomorrow though, so no more split ends! Have you trimmed your hair? Do you see any split/damaged ends?
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th May 2010, 7:06 pm

u can tell if your hair is breaking off when u don't see a bulb at either end.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 12th May 2010, 7:19 pm

It sounds like you are using a LOT of Castor Oil, maybe too much? I use cold-pressed, but I only put it on my hair once a week (on Wash day I use it to DC and sometimes to seal), maybe I'll use it to oil my scalp, but even then I don't use a lot of it. It's a pretty thick oil, so it may be blocking the water from moisturizing your hair?
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th May 2010, 7:41 pm

castor oil is one of the few oils that has chemical properties that make them have an affinity (and thus absorbed by the hair) to the chemical structure to hair AND have humectant properties. so, i couldn't block water.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 12th May 2010, 8:12 pm

So Castor Oil Lets water in and doesn't let it out? How long does it typically take for Castor Oil to be absorbed by the hair?
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 8:54 pm

No my hair isn't breaking or shedding, no split ends thanks to my JBCO. My hair just isn't growing at all. I haven't got a single inch in about 6 months.

No heat, no harsh weather. Just no growth.

I'm getting so frustrated with this and I'm about to have an identity crisis... Is this who i am? Do I have to accept this, that my hair just wont grow and I'm meant to to have short 4a/b hair. The fat freackled face girl with short hair that no one wants to be around, is that who I'm suppose to be now. My hair was the last thing I had that I thought I had pride in, had control with in my life. Oh wells
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 12th May 2010, 9:11 pm

Well if your hair is the length in your pic it's not ugly, it's cute, and your hair WILL grow because that's what hair does. You can't let one thing define who you are. Are you sure you don't just have really extreme shrinkage? Keep your head up.
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 12th May 2010, 9:20 pm

From that last post it sounds like this just isn't about hair. Part of going natural is just what you stated though. It is about loving yourself. Just the way you are. And whether you hair grows or not, or no matter what texture is, those are lessons you are going to have to learn if you're ever going to be happy with yourself. Self esteem can't be conditional.

I think you're gorgeous. I hope you too come to that realization. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 12th May 2010, 10:31 pm

Thanks ladies. I just don't c myself in any other way. But I truly thanks you for your help and kind words. I hardly say anything on these forums and just sit a read what marvelous people you all are and how great your hair looks and how pretty everyone else is.

I already have poor self esteem, I guess going natural didn't help the situation at all, it's making it worse. I think I'm just going to resort back to ponytails and scarfs until my hair gets over this hump.

Thanks agian.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by WalkingInDestiny 12th May 2010, 11:35 pm

Makeupvixen..one thing I have realized is that by me going natural it makes you tap into your inner beauty. I BC'd 3-20-10, and it wasn't normal for me to see myself without anything other than smooth straight relaxed hair. The real beauty is being able to wear your natural hair embracing the way that God has made you. I would encourage you to love yourself, and embrace the person God has made and destined you to be. You are a beautiful person, hug yourself everyday, look at yourself in the mirror and encourage yourself...Before you know it you will see the beauty that we see in you. Remember love yourself even if others you would expect to don't...you live once and inner peace and joy is key....Be Blessed...
WalkingInDestiny
WalkingInDestiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next