CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing For Braids

+7
lumii
jadore04
Princess
HAMPTONSFNST
BlakButterfli
kim
NaturallyKeyStreet
11 posters

Go down

Preparing For Braids Empty Preparing For Braids

Post by NaturallyKeyStreet 11th May 2010, 12:47 am

Hey ladies!!!! I am contemplating on getting micros for a while... I am tired of my TWA right now. What should I do to prepare my hair for the braids? Also what should I do once it's braided to keep my natural hair healthy while braided?
~Key~

NaturallyKeyStreet

Back to top Go down

Preparing For Braids Empty Re: Preparing For Braids

Post by kim 11th May 2010, 6:04 am

before braiding I do a deep conditioner.
kim
kim

http://msdumfries.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 12th May 2010, 11:53 am

I am planning on getting braids done soon as well. Like Kim, I plan on doing a DC. And maybe a protein treatment a few weeks before to strengthen my hair - I want it as "prepped" as possible before I put it away. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th May 2010, 12:25 pm

I haven't worn braids in a while yet I'm pretty sure you can apply my advice to your concern. When I wore weaves I did protein and deep conditioning treatments before each install. I also tried to get my hair trimmed often as well. Check this site out for additional tips: www.growafrohairlong.com
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 12th May 2010, 5:03 pm

I would definitely do a deep conditioning treatment before putting the braids in. Once they are in, make sure you keep your hair moisturized.
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 12th May 2010, 6:53 pm

I am so glad there is a post on this!!

I am getting synaglese twists to grow out my hair a little bit longer in August. Right now i am just a baby with the transitioning process-2 months post relaxer. I was wondering what i should while the braids are in my hair as far as my edges. This will be my first time getting braids/twists ever in my life!! I am really nervous about my edges and the overall health of my hair. When should I do the DC a week before i put the braids in? and How should i have my hair before it is getting twisted? should i blowdry it out so that it is straight or what? im so confused o_o
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 12th May 2010, 7:56 pm

When you have the twists/braids in make sure you moisturize the entire lenght of your hair. If you have some sort of braid spray you like you can use that or I guess if you have a home made spritz, you can use that as well.

As far as the edges, make sure that the braids aren't put in too tight. Chances are they will be a little tight, but they shouldn't be too tight to the point where you see little bulbs around the hair or the pain shouldn't last for days. Also, if you like to wear the hair up, don't pull the hair too tight and try not to put it up too often.

They usually blow dry my hair straight when I get micros (however, I may do it myself next time), not sure if you need to blow dry with the sengelese twists though. Hopefully someone else has the answer.
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 12th May 2010, 9:15 pm

Thank you princess! you have just saved my hair and currently my life hehe! really useful tips.!
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 12th May 2010, 9:16 pm

oh wait!! princess or any other ladies....when i take them out should i get them out professionally?! or jus do it myself?!
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 12th May 2010, 9:23 pm

You're welcome. When I get micros I usually take them out myself. It takes a really long time, but I just take breaks when necessary and catch up on whatever shows I missed during the week. I've never had Senegalese twist, but I think you should be able to take them down yourself.

Oh another thing about micros, (for me at least) edges and nape were a lot shorter and more susceptible to breakage. As my hair grows, the extension hair starts to hang and pull on my hair. At this point, I take those few braids out. I feel has helped me maintain and even grow in my edges which were damaged from relaxing. At this point it's usually weeks into the style since some of your hair is now exposed, I usually wear it down and don't wear ponytails or try to hide my hair as best as I can. Just remember to be gentle whenever you wear ponytails or updos.
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 13th May 2010, 11:38 am

OK thanks a lot princes, I'll def. be careful considering its my first time! lol
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 13th May 2010, 12:36 pm

You're welcome. Braids/twists are a great transitional or protective style as long as you take care of your hair, you should be fine [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 13th May 2010, 1:57 pm

I've taken micros out and I get so tired and impatient, I'm not as careful as I need to be at times. lol

I'm getting tree braids, so hopefully, the take-down won't be nearly as bad.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 13th May 2010, 3:50 pm

BlakButterfli, Yeah I know, lol, it's like you have to plan your weekend and psych yourself up to take time out, lol. I'm also getting tree braids, hopefully this weekend. I have a consultation tonight.
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyKeyStreet 13th May 2010, 6:16 pm

Thank you ladies so much!

NaturallyKeyStreet

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 13th May 2010, 7:10 pm

I'm glad I just read this thread. I'm actually getting some braids right now but it's the first time I'm doing it myself so it looks reeeaally unprofessional!
Should I just moisturize my hair as usual? I always had braids before but I never moistzrized it and it got dry and was always shedding.. So this time I want to be sure that I'm doing everything right
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 13th May 2010, 9:52 pm

Lumii, yes, the way I moisturize my hair is by using braid spray. This time I may use a daily leave in condiitoning spray or my own home made spritz. Making sure to spray the entire lenght of my hair so it's moisturized or else like you said, it will get dry.
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 15th May 2010, 1:25 am

Before i put these braids in my hair can i dc and protein conditioner at the same time a week before i do the braids or do i have to each of them separately?
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Preparing For Braids Empty Also this is VERY IMPORTANT

Post by Sylkifine 16th May 2010, 12:14 am

Hey Ladies....I am a longtime wearer of braids, and over time I have come to learn of methods that both, strengthened and weakened my hair.

You want to make sure you clarify your hair, followed by a deep conditioner treatement. This allows your hair to get a clean start for the braids will be in for awhile. Upon you taking your braids out, your hair would not be as greasy, and more moisterized, which is you would want for your hair.

Also as for your edges, the whole idea is to keep them conditioned, not necessarily greased/oiled, as a lot of women make the mistake of. Make sure you apply a good moisturzer to your scalp such as Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizer.

As with washing it, it isn't really necessary, though you can, but you run the risk of messing the braid pattern. Depending what type of braids I get, determines whether I will wash my hair or not.

Sylkifine

Back to top Go down

Post by ultinaturaldiva 19th May 2010, 2:20 pm

Now that I am ENLIGHTENED....

Good luck to the braiders!! I would advise that you insist the braider take a small comb and separate your baby or fine hair at the edges and nape.
Don't let her put too much tension around the entire hairline because it is weak. Once she starts the braid, place your finger over the starting point to ease the pulling as she braids your hair.
Use aloe vera gel to smooth the fine hairs when your braids are finished and to maintain a neater appearance.
Use oils instead of grease to moisturise your scalp, in order to reduce build-up.
Use a satin or silk scarf/bonnet to sleep.
Finally, clean your scalp every 2-3 weeks by rinsing with a mild, diluted shampoo in the shower. Also, you could use a small piece of cloth/cotton balls dampened with the rinsing solution throughout your scalp.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Looking forward to meeting my natural hair!!

ultinaturaldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Mijay 22nd May 2010, 12:56 am

@overactiveimagination
i had senegalese twists while my hair was permed a couple years back ( i am currently 7 months into my transition). But the twists did not agree with me at all. im not sure if it was because of the perm, the person who did it, or what, but my hair came out left and right. PLEASE BE CAREFUL and do ur research before getting them in, i wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. and make sure they are not too tight

they sell dry shampoos at some beauty supply stores, which i haven't tried, but may help you wash your hair when it starts to itch without making the braids fuzzy (i hate that!Smile

make sure to moisturize!! i plan on getting some babi curl twists put in soon, and while they're in i will srpay my hair with some rosewater glycerin, maybe put in some cantu shea butter, and always seal with some castor oil. i think the twists will give our hair a great break from styling!!

also blowdrying the hair will make it easier for them to section and twist.

Mijay

Back to top Go down

Post by fnggrant 23rd May 2010, 9:42 pm

Im about to get kinky twists next week. im thinking of having my mom do a light press. why? because as we all know, not everyone knows hot to handle our hair. my hair doesn't like any type of direct air. Im talking the fan, cool and hot setting on the blow dryer. It extremely dries my hair, thats why i was thinking of a light press and not a blow out. what do you guys thing?
fnggrant
fnggrant

http://public.fotki.com/fnggrant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down