CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About to start sporting tree braids w/indiviual braids and sew-ins

3 posters

Go down

About to start sporting tree braids w/indiviual braids and sew-ins Empty About to start sporting tree braids w/indiviual braids and sew-ins

Post by curl_Gurl 29th September 2010, 1:56 pm

I wore sew-ins last time I did the BC but I was not natural or trying to go natural just did a BC for something different and when I wanted length again I started wearing the sew-ins. Well, this time around when I do the BC and get braids and sew-ins I will be 100% natural so I thought it was most important that I take extra care of my naptural hair.

So, moptopmaven(http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2010/09/wearing-sew-in-weave-as-protective.html) has an article on sew-in hair maintenance, but I'm going to be honest there is no way I'm going to do all that, I barely wanted to read that entire article. I like it quick, simple and easy. And I'm a true disbeliever regardless of what anyone says....when you have sew-ins there is no way possible you can truly wash your scalp due to the cornrows..IMO, but that is not a concern of mines because like I said I'm no stranger to sew-ins they used to be my best friend but I had to give them a break for awhile.

Anywho can you ladies let me know what are some good products to use for the co-wash, to massage the scalp, DC and daily spritz and products that are just dedicated to braids(I haven't seen any, but I guess I really haven't been looking). Thanks in advance ladies!
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

About to start sporting tree braids w/indiviual braids and sew-ins Empty Re: About to start sporting tree braids w/indiviual braids and sew-ins

Post by krys419 30th September 2010, 11:54 pm

Okay. I do not cowash at all!lol

I have a sew in. I always wear sew ins.
I wash my scalp and the weave every 2 or 3 weeks. I use a clarifying shampoo once a month and conditioner like organics or suave professionals and leave it in 30 mins then wash out and dry verrrry well with blowdryer. DO not let your braids dry overnight because your hair will mold and have a bad smell.

I spritz with any spray that says "braids spray for natural, human hair" and I spritz about once or twice a week. also massage my scalp.

That's about it.

New hair coming in doesnt really need attention and the hair tjhats already in and braided is protected fom the weave so it's not goign to get damaged. Yoru diet is reallyw hat matters. And when you take out your weave and have your hair out is when you really need to care for it.

krys419

Back to top Go down

About to start sporting tree braids w/indiviual braids and sew-ins Empty Re: About to start sporting tree braids w/indiviual braids and sew-ins

Post by curl_Gurl 1st October 2010, 9:47 am

krys315 thanks so much for your response this was very helpful. I usually do let my hair air dry and now that you mentioned it I see exactly why that has not been the best way to dry my hair.

What clarifying shampoo do you use?

Where do you purchase your braid sprays, just a regular beauty supply store?

Thanks in advance!
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 1st October 2010, 10:13 am

when i wear a sew in i do a acv/water mix, dip a q tip in, and clean my scalp with that. then i rinse and lightly shampoo and condition...i'll dry the braids a bit and then get under the dryer if i'm rollersetting the weave...hth

NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 1st October 2010, 11:18 am

NaturalTina thanks for the tips.

Do you that the cotton from the q-tip is okay to use on new growth? Just wondering if there are any drawbacks of using a q-tip on new growths...just curious confused

Thanks again NaturalTina!
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 1st October 2010, 11:27 am

HEY! naturaltina sounds like she has something going with the ACV/water! I'll have to try that. And no I don't think anything bad will happen with the cotton, plus you are shampooing and conditionaing afterwards.

I just use a regular cheap shampoo. I use Suave Clarifying shampoo, but it's only once a month. Also, when you shampoo you should pour some shampoo in a bottle with water and pour the somewhat soapy water on your braids vs putting shampoo directly to the scalp.

Yes I use any braid spray. One that I particulary like is the African Pride braid spray. I used IC Fantasia last time that has Ttree oil and it made my hair sticky. The ones with T-Tree or stimulating oils stink. lol. The African Pride should be sold at walmart or Kmart, and yea just buy any one that says for human (sometimes says "and synthetic")braids and says it moisturizes. And I havent used the African Pride in a while and have bought all my most recent ones from the hair supply store.

Yes I learned the moldy braid thing the hard way! I was putting different oils on my scalp tryign to "keep my hair healthy" supposedly then when I would wash naturall what ever product was in there would not come out all the way then as it dried it would get funky.

What are tree braids?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 1st October 2010, 11:44 am

This is a pic of tree braids with individuals at the top
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are pics of regular tree braids

So, basically tree braids are cornrows with some hair left out every time you twist the cornrow. I personally like the tree braids b/c you hair is cornrowed so its less stress on you new growth and so much easier to take down and now that I know the stylist can do the tree braids with individuals at the top/front section that's even better b/c now the braids will look just like micro braids without actually being micros and also i can style my hair better b/c the individuals braids at the top/front section will give the hair more volume when i pin the hair, twist, put in a ponytail and etc.
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 1st October 2010, 1:18 pm

no the cotton swab or the acv wont damage the new growth and it actually helps with the itchies! i do that when i wear micros as well and my hair is always strong and shiny when i remove them. i also make a braid spray with rose water, bottled water, vitamin e, and a few drops of lavender and peppermint essential oils
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 1st October 2010, 5:39 pm

oh i see. Does it take less time than micros? If so I'll have to try that. thanks!

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 1st October 2010, 7:08 pm

@NaturalTina I will have to tray your spray bottle combo

@krys315 it takes half of the time it takes to do micros
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down