CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aloe Vera..Drying?

+6
Lysheba89
TaSiaJaY
trpd123
Intelligentbeauty
Janet36603
WalkingInDestiny
10 posters

Go down

Aloe Vera..Drying? Empty Aloe Vera..Drying?

Post by WalkingInDestiny 10th May 2010, 10:28 pm

Hey ladies, lately I have tried a few different natural gels to see which one I prefer for my hair. It seems to me that any product that has left my hair feeling dry after the gel dries, has had aloe vera in the ingredients... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Has anyone experienced this before, I'm just trying to narrow down, what things work and what doesn't....I'm so surprised many have talk about how it leaves such moisturizing effects on the hair.
WalkingInDestiny
WalkingInDestiny

Back to top Go down

Aloe Vera..Drying? Empty Re: Aloe Vera..Drying?

Post by Janet36603 11th May 2010, 2:17 am

I haven't had this problem. My hair loves aloe vera gel (I use fruit of the earth). Maybe there's some alcohol somewhere in the products? Or maybe the aloe vera isn't "pure"

Also, are you washing or using products with sulfates in them? Those can dry your hair out.
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 11th May 2010, 5:50 am

@WID, aloe vera is a humectant. So it is affected by the moisture level in the environment. I can't use aloe vera in the winter over here in NJ/NYC because it will dry out my hair. Meaning it pulls moisture from my hair into the environment.
@Janet, you will probably never experience this living in AL.....lol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by trpd123 11th May 2010, 9:54 am

Aloe Vera has always been drying for me. Even in the summer. I would make a spritz containing aloe vera juice, and my hair would be dry and stiff. Also products containing aloe vera near the top of the list does the same thing. Classic case of what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. Maybe this will change in the future, as my hair tends to not like something one minute, and love it a while later. But for now, aloe vera is a no go for me.
trpd123
trpd123

Back to top Go down

Post by TaSiaJaY 11th May 2010, 5:44 pm

Unfortunately aloe vera does not work for my hair. For moisture my hair loves Shea butter and Jamaican black castor oil...lol....My hair never dries out is is always soft to the touch when I use Jbco....Don't use alot...If I am correct Nikki said hers lasted 8 months and she has bunches of hair....lol...but I am out of it because I have a heavy hand and its only been 4 months... scratch
TaSiaJaY
TaSiaJaY

Back to top Go down

Post by Lysheba89 18th May 2010, 8:34 pm

I've had the same problem with aloe vera and thought I was crazy since it's the number one suggested moisturizer. However the aloe vera gel I have is 99% aloe vera with an added "seaweed thickening agent", which I assume is some sort of protein-which my hair is very sensitive too. So it could be that all the aloe vera products I've used have all been combined with protein. Also, I find that it works pretty well at moisturizing dry hair (it'll revert it back to your wet texture though, of course).
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 10th June 2010, 10:09 pm

Help! I read that Aloe Vera is a type of protein as well. Is that incorrect?
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 11th June 2010, 2:38 am

@ Lysheba89 I know this is random and has nothing to do with Aloe Vera but your hair is amazing!! Wow, I think I just found inspiration to grow my hair out Very Happy
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 14th June 2010, 1:55 pm

Aloe vera gel works similar to water on my hair. If used on its own, its drying (because the water evaporates, leaving my hair even dryer), but if I use it under a moisturizer it enhances the product's moisturizing properties and leaves my hair more moisturized than just using the product. Try using it with another product, instead of on its own, and see if that makes a difference.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 14th June 2010, 2:58 pm

WalkingInDestiny wrote:Hey ladies, lately I have tried a few different natural gels to see which one I prefer for my hair. It seems to me that any product that has left my hair feeling dry after the gel dries, has had aloe vera in the ingredients... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Has anyone experienced this before, I'm just trying to narrow down, what things work and what doesn't....I'm so surprised many have talk about how it leaves such moisturizing effects on the hair.

CurlyChefRobin wrote:Help! I read that Aloe Vera is a type of
protein as well. Is that incorrect?

Aloe Vera is a type of protein. I think that is why some people have
what they think is a drying experience but I think it's actually more of
a hardening experience bc I find that I cannot use Aloe Vera either.
It makes my hair hard. I think we may mistake the hardness for dryness. I do not find that it is dry. Check out your hair again to see if it is really dry or just hard. HTH
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 15th June 2010, 10:20 pm

Thanks. I've been reading conflicting info. I read that proteins should not be left on our heads but many are saying they are using aloe vera as a moisturizer. I'm so confused!!!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 16th June 2010, 1:02 am

CurlyChefRobin wrote:Thanks. I've been reading conflicting info. I read that proteins should not be left on our heads but many are saying they are using aloe vera as a moisturizer. I'm so confused!!!

Well some people don't have issues with protein so maybe that could be why aloe vera gel works well for them. I just know that for me it makes my hair hard. However some of Oyin's products have aloe vera gel and it's fine. Also, I don't have any problem with products containing aloe vera juice. I think it may only be the jelly-like products for me. Who knows... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down