CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What exactly [i]is[/i] sealing?

4 posters

Go down

What exactly [i]is[/i] sealing? Empty What exactly [i]is[/i] sealing?

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 9th April 2010, 10:36 am

So I'm not brand new to this....transitioned from Aug-Jan...BCed in Jan 2010. However, I have no clue what sealing is exactly. Is it done on wet hair, is it just putting moisturizer in your hair daily?! A tad confused scratch
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

What exactly [i]is[/i] sealing? Empty Re: What exactly [i]is[/i] sealing?

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 9th April 2010, 11:19 am

Good morning,

Sealing involves the use of natural oils and butters to lock in moisture. You can use EVOO, EVCO, shea butter, avocado oil, jojoba, sweet almond and more. Try to use a water based moisturizer such as your leave-in conditioner or create your own spritz with water, glycerin, conditioner, and oils.

I currently use Curls' Curl Souffle on freshly cowashed hair after my Giovanni Direct Leave-in and seal with either castor oil or unrefined shea butter. Beware that some oils and butters are heavier than others so a little bit goes along way or opt for a lighter oil.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 9th April 2010, 12:43 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:Good morning,

Sealing involves the use of natural oils and butters to lock in moisture. You can use EVOO, EVCO, shea butter, avocado oil, jojoba, sweet almond and more. Try to use a water based moisturizer such as your leave-in conditioner or create your own spritz with water, glycerin, conditioner, and oils.

I currently use Curls' Curl Souffle on freshly cowashed hair after my Giovanni Direct Leave-in and seal with either castor oil or unrefined shea butter. Beware that some oils and butters are heavier than others so a little bit goes along way or opt for a lighter oil.

Great answer!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 9th April 2010, 1:24 pm

So what ur saying is after u wash ur hair put on a leave in then put oil or butter on top of all that?!

Hmmm....that sounds a bit too heavy for my hair. But thanks.
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 9th April 2010, 1:28 pm

It can be done anytime - not always after washing. It's not heavy at all unless you are heavy handed with products.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 9th April 2010, 2:03 pm

Welll I wash then put in my fantastic leave in. Then style or just air dry...then when it's dry I will put a little shea on for sheen....but I dont put it on section by section because my hair is fine and is EASILY weighed down. I tried the gel and coco oil shingling technique...my hair was str8 and sticky! Terrible'!
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 9th April 2010, 3:49 pm

I moisturize throughtout the week and when necessary. Product buildup occurs when you use products that are heavier than others and aren't cleanse routinely from your hair. If you continue to wash your hair, apply a leave-in product and seal that moisture with an oil or natural butter of your choice you shouldn't have a problem. It's not something you want to do daily unless your cowashing and starting fresh with clean hair.

Be mindful that some products will weigh your hair down more than others so be aware of what your putting in your hair and how it reacts with additional products you may use.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 9th April 2010, 6:41 pm

I have fine hair as well and was worried about the oils/butters being too heavy. After trial and error (with products currently on-hand) my best results are applying Oyin Burnt Sugar pomade to the front and back of my hair lightly (one fingertip covered and then emulsified in the palm of my hand, twice) then spraying my "leave-in" on my still wet/damp hair. I have a bottle with purified water, Desert Essences Green Apple and Ginger conditioner, and Sweet Almond Oil and that's what I spray into my hair after washing/cowashing each day. It has yet to weigh my hair down, but my hair sucks up oils and moisture.

What I don't understand is that I used to only buy Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizing Lotion (the light) and just a little would leave my hair greasy. But using the oils AND the conditioner do not make my hair greasy or stringy.

Anyway, trial and error. For the first several months after doing the BC for the umpteenth time, I struggled with proportion/amount of product to use on my hair. It's truly taken a while to find products that work and to discover the right amount of each product and whether they worked best on wet or dry hair or better with a shampoo or cowash. I'm still learning, too. Some days it's frustrating because I'm in a hurry and want great results in an instant, but I'm learning to just deal with it. After all, I have a drawer full of headbands and barrettes. LOL

Good luck!
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down