CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commercials and Curlies

+14
swoodward
abovealltherest
chscott_77
Nikcoils
SighSidhe
BlakButterfli
HappyCurly
mverde3
Armywife
MissCurly
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
Muz
JORIE
cutie_curli
18 posters

Go down

Commercials and Curlies Empty Commercials and Curlies

Post by cutie_curli 5th May 2010, 9:56 pm

Has anyone noticed that mainstream media is embracing black women with natural hair? In the last hour I have been watching tv and about 3 commercials (e.g. 3M, Target, Olive Garden) featured black women with natural hair. This is exciting and reassuring! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] What commercials have you seen lately that feature black women with natural hair?

cutie_curli

Back to top Go down

Commercials and Curlies Empty Re: Commercials and Curlies

Post by JORIE 5th May 2010, 10:55 pm

I am so glad you posted this. And yes, I have noticed. It is now rare to see a black woman with relaxed hair in tv ads and print ads. I get quite a few magazines and most of the ads that feature a black woman or family, they are all curly/natural. Even the men/boys are sporting longer hair with curls. Yay!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 5th May 2010, 11:41 pm

I noticed it, I thought maybe I was just paying more attention and they've always been there. LOL, but maybe now I can see it's a deliberate thing. Either way it's pretty cool. I notice I see more curlies than permies (unless it's a perm ad) lately.

Oh, and I usually see them in stuff like Wal-mart/Target ads stuff that's for families and restaurants. Some of everything really.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 6th May 2010, 12:25 pm

Thats hilarious....I was coiling my hubbies hair last nite and I pointed that out to him also. My fav is the Mirena commercial....3 curlies!
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCurly 6th May 2010, 2:19 pm

Oh yes I really noticed that too! I love the Merena commercial with the curly family. The curlies are repping all over the place Cereal commercials, and that one lady with the brown curly hair (don't know her name) but she does almost every commercial to name. I think she has a DiGorno pizza commercial now. I would love to know their routines

Curly models in magazines. It's rare you see a permie in a tv or print ad
MissCurly
MissCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 6th May 2010, 3:05 pm

Yes, it is pretty cool. Makes me smile. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Armywife 6th May 2010, 3:56 pm

Last night me and my daughter was watching tv and we said the same thing. It is so nice to see all these naturals in commercials. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Armywife
Armywife

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 6th May 2010, 3:58 pm

I have definitely noticed.. especially since I'm always saying that they're hair is gorgeous and then my sisters from all corners of the house come running to see lol. I loveeeeeeeee it !! dance
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 6th May 2010, 6:13 pm

Have you seen the commercial for Alleve? One couple is sad about having to take a head ache medicine too often, then this black lady comes up and picks up the Alleve. She has a short TWA! She is the protagonist.

I don't know what I think yet about this. It's good for natural models.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 7th May 2010, 11:40 am

I see it a lot more now. But, aside from the Alleve commerical - everyone seems to have the same "look." Really curly 3a/3b hair and a lot of it.

The only naturals I've seen who may have a coarser/more textured look are the lady in the Alleve commerical or the REALLY cute one when the mom is getting home and she has Happy Meals for her kids. Her hair looks like a twist-out and she is in a TON of commericals.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by SighSidhe 7th May 2010, 2:50 pm

yea i thought it was just that i was noticing more since i'm more aware of it now.. but i think that in general curlies are showing up more Smile

but it's mostly in commercials and not so much tv and movies (went to see Death at a Funeral the other day & couldn't stop myself from looking for a natural lady.. don't think i found any)
one step at a time i guess
SighSidhe
SighSidhe

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 7th May 2010, 4:41 pm

This is funny cause i just said this to my hubby last night as we were watching tv. from children to women all curly haired and different types of textures and lengths. ANd when we went to VEGAS we noticed more curlies out and about. I see it in comercials and print ads...just lovely. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by chscott_77 7th May 2010, 9:03 pm

Yes, I have noticed more commericals also. I thought that I was more aware because I am now natural but some of the commericals are old. However, I am glad to see how natural hair is easily embraced by an industry that defines the standard of beauty by straight and long.
chscott_77
chscott_77

http://chscott77.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 7th May 2010, 9:40 pm

Sour note: I watched Tyra yesterday and she had the "real hair academy" and when they showed the natural ladies "fro'ed out" before pics: the audience and Tyras stylist were like "ewww" or "ohhhhh" confused and her stylist thought it was funny. I was like WTf is that about?! We still got aways to go but we are On the way....
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCurly 7th May 2010, 10:58 pm

I just saw a Kmart Mother's Day commercial that was too cute. They had a curlie family everyone had nice natural hair mom, dad, brother, sister lol just Lovely
MissCurly
MissCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by abovealltherest 9th May 2010, 6:13 pm

OMG I loving all of the naturals in the media! I said it to my mom earlier. I am happy women are embracing the natural! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
abovealltherest
abovealltherest

http://www.fotki.com/abovealltherest

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 9th May 2010, 8:47 pm

I remember seeing a progressive insurance commercial last year too with a lady with a twist out or something. nice.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 11th May 2010, 12:40 pm

I just completed my thesis on hair care product advertising, quantitatively examining how they promote one particular beauty image, visually and through the messages, among African American women. However, in my research, I also did a content analysis of non-hair care product advertisements, and I found that a lot of them feature African American women models with their natural hair texture. (i.e. Aveeno, Crest, Got Milk?, Wal-Mart...)

I was excited to find this as well.

*My study only looked at magazine advertisements...not television commercials...but I have noticed that many commercials are taking this approach to feature their black women models with a natural hair texture.*
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 11th May 2010, 3:54 pm

I totally agree! And since going natural, I've been approached by a handful of photographers who want to shoot pix of me for their work! I think there's definitely something in the air and it's definitely our HAIR!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoHarmony 14th May 2010, 11:16 pm

I talk to my mom about this all the time but she is very apathetic to "hair talk." Glad other people have noticed. I wonder if the permies feel under represented?
IndigoHarmony
IndigoHarmony

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 15th May 2010, 8:19 am

there is definitely something in the air!
there is an AA hostess on HSN (i have a online shopping addiction - another thread, lol) anyway...she took off the wig/stop perming and has been rocking curly fros' twist outs.
i wanna just hug her.
we should search her out and see if nikki can interview her. *nodding*

its marlo smith

Last edited by lena73 on 15th May 2010, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding name)
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 15th May 2010, 2:29 pm

Awesome idea Lena! Nikki should interview her.
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down