CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McDonald's commercials...

+3
AfrikanLatina
traveljunkie08
StacyB
7 posters

Go down

McDonald's commercials... Empty McDonald's commercials...

Post by StacyB 11th December 2009, 9:44 pm

Hey ladies,

I have been thinking about this for awhile and wanted to get someone else's input. I decided to post this after reading a thread about Curlies in commercials. Have you noticed (or is it just me?) there are more natural women in Mickey D's commercials AND a lot of the commercials seem to have "neo-soul" artists (known and unknown) reciting poetry, singing, talking etc. I feel like McDonald's explictly target black people. Now I an not saying its a bad thing or we need to protest or anything. It was just an observation I have made. I know black people are not the only culture who eat McDonalds.

What are your thoughts?
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

McDonald's commercials... Empty Re: McDonald's commercials...

Post by traveljunkie08 11th December 2009, 9:54 pm

Yes, McDonald's explicitly targets Black people. When I first started my advertising career, I worked at one of the country's first AA ad agencies. McDonald's was a long-standing client, so I have first-hand experience with their marketing efforts. This is a bit of a stereotype, but if we saw the creative team, I'm pretty sure we'd see some natural-hair wearing, neo-soul listening, progressive-minded Black folks. Wink

McDonald's does a lot of target marketing aimed at various demographic segments of the population. They do a lot with the Latino community too.

Last edited by traveljunkie08 on 11th December 2009, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 11th December 2009, 9:57 pm

Maybe I only notice the commercials of people who look just like me lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
StacyB
StacyB

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 11th December 2009, 10:08 pm

I do too! I didn't notice how many Blacks with natural hair are in commercials until I started trsnsitioning. Sometimes I actually watch the commercials (usually I DVR to avoid commercials) to see if I see folks with curly/kinky/coily hair. I'm borderline obsessed with this whole hair thing.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 12th December 2009, 1:00 am

HELL YES!! WhooSah! It pisses me off. I think the radio commercials are the worst. They'll have a sista talking and she'll be stereotypically sista. Does that make sense? I can't think of the commercial right now but when I heard it I was like WTF! It pisses me off that they target our people because we don't need to be eating that mess. Another thing that sucks is that you can get a double cheeseburger, a drink, and fries for $3. You can't even get a salad for $3! So yes it sucks that you can eat unhealthy so cheaply but have to spend more to eat healthy.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 12th December 2009, 2:21 pm

@AfrikanLatina: McDonald's targets EVERYONE. They are not solely targeting Black people. They target moms, Latinos, kids, the lunch crowd, teens, the occasional indulger, etc. It's not McDonald's fault that Black people tend to suffer from high blood pressure and diabetes. That's a matter of personal responsibility, in my opinion. We know it's unhealthy to eat at McDonald's everyday (although there are healthy options), but some people do it anyway. So when I gain 20 lbs and find out I have high blood pressure yet continue to eat at Mickey D's, who's fault is that?

I think there's more of a reason to be upset about the fact that fresh fruits and vegetables are not accessible to everyone at a reasonable price. That's what pisses me off. Not fast food places like McDonald's because we have a choice as to whether or not we want to eat there. But we have to eat something, and many people can't even get decent, healthy food at their local grocery store.

I no longer work on behalf of McDonald's, so I have no vested interest in them. But I will say that McDonald's is one of few company's that has a long-standing, meaningful relationship with the AA community.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 14th December 2009, 4:02 am

I sooo agree with @traveljunkie08. I too am in Marketing and my last position was in advertising so I totally understand their marketing efforts! Its all about your target audience. I noticed that a lot of those commercials are on BET which totally makes sense, as Latino commericals would be more fluent on a Latino network. If you go to essence.com, or even Essence or Ebony magazines, of course you are going to find African American McDonald ads/banner ads because of the audience that it attracts.

To be honest, i loooved the commercials they did with the (oh shoot, I forgot the artist...I think it was Raheem Devaughn maybe???) neo-soul artist. Its a great way to capture our audience and somewhat incorporate our culture as well. I guess you have to think of it just like you would anything else, for example....if you pick up a fitness magazine, you will find dozens of print ads from all kinds of dietary supplements, fitness gear, etc...why??? Because those companies know that their audience- the reader that reads that magazine, has an interest in fitness and will be subject to have interest in their product that is being advertised.

Its all just marketing strategies!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th December 2009, 12:46 pm

Yes those who still choose to eat at McDonalds and other fast food restaurants need to take responsibility for what they eat. I completely agree. My rant was that they target our people and are sometimes use stereotypes to do it. I know they target others but I can't fight the good fight for EVERYONE lol.

I don't think its so cut and dry to say that everyone has a choice. When junk food and fast food are so cheap and people are tight on money and not educated on what they can actually do with a $1 at the grocery store then yes I blame the McDonalds & Burger King & Wendys, etc. It is there ridiculous marketing and advertising that make it sound like such a great deal to be able to come in and have a meal for $3 albeit, unhealthy. Everyone isn't going to be able to decipher through the b.s.

And I personally think its sad that McDonalds has a longstanding, meaningful relationship with the A.A. community.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 14th December 2009, 2:12 pm

Why would you think it's sad that McDonald's provides college scholarships to AA youth, offer them jobs and management positions, show them that they can be business owners, sponsor events in the community, etc.? There is an owner/operator association of Black McDonald's owners that do so much for the community on their own and in conjunction with the corporation.

As far as the cheapness of McDonald's food and not being able to get the same at the grocery store, that's where we agree. What we disagree on is where the blame should be placed. It's not McDonald's or BK's fault that we import something as simple as an orange from another country, driving up the price of oranges. It's not McDonald's fault that the Pathmark in Harlem sells rotten and near rotten fruits and vegetables. It's not McDonald's fault that orange drink is $1 for a gallon and orange juice (real orange juice, not from concentrate) is $4. McDonald's is a business that you choose to patronize or not. But it's a tragedy that people cannot go to the grocery store and get reasonably priced, healthy food in their own community. If I want fresh fruits and vegetables, I have to drive outside of my own community to get them. I pass up 4-5 grocery stores to go to one in a more affluent area because I know their stuff is going to be fresh. That makes me angry. Not McDonald's and Wendy's trying to sell a hamburger for $1 (which is all it's worth anyway).
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 14th December 2009, 3:58 pm

traveljunkie08 wrote:@AfrikanLatina: McDonald's targets EVERYONE. They are not solely targeting Black people. They target moms, Latinos, kids, the lunch crowd, teens, the occasional indulger, etc. It's not McDonald's fault that Black people tend to suffer from high blood pressure and diabetes. That's a matter of personal responsibility, in my opinion. We know it's unhealthy to eat at McDonald's everyday (although there are healthy options), but some people do it anyway. So when I gain 20 lbs and find out I have high blood pressure yet continue to eat at Mickey D's, who's fault is that?

I think there's more of a reason to be upset about the fact that fresh fruits and vegetables are not accessible to everyone at a reasonable price. That's what pisses me off. Not fast food places like McDonald's because we have a choice as to whether or not we want to eat there. But we have to eat something, and many people can't even get decent, healthy food at their local grocery store.

I no longer work on behalf of McDonald's, so I have no vested interest in them. But I will say that McDonald's is one of few company's that has a long-standing, meaningful relationship with the AA community.

I soooo agree! I have been saying those same things for soo long. Another thing that does piss me off about McDonalds though that a lot of people don't know is that in more affluent and demographically White neighborhoods there are gourmet McDonalds that don't serve any of the crap they do in the hood. Let's hear their reasoning behind that....All we get is apple dippers and parfaits, they get Apple walnut salads, soups and French bread.....
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th December 2009, 4:18 pm

Scholarships, jobs, management positions....all of that is GREAT. I agree. I just think its so much more than that. Its bigger than McDonalds really. The fact that a fastfood chain does all this for the A.A. community versus Company x.y. or z. Bottom line, at the end of the day McDonalds may do a lot of good but they do a lot of bad as well. Is it ALL their fault, NO but as I said before everyone can't decipher through the B.S.

It makes me think of the drug dealer that is poisoning our brothas and sistas with whatever drug but gives away Turkeys for Thanksgiving and employs our children so that they "get rich" and can take care of their families. In no way, shape, or form do I condone drug dealing BUT some people feel like where they come from, they don't have a choice. The same with McDonalds...some people eat there and work there because they feel like they don't have a choice. If young brothas and sistas can USE McDonalds as a stepping stone to make something out of themselves then I'm all for it but at the end of the day McDonalds is still selling crap and our people(and others) are eating it up.

Importation and exportation of goods and services that could very easily be found here in the U.S. versus a country that uses cheap labor is definitely PART of the issue as well. That's not just in terms of food that damn near everything these days. I personally try to go to our local farmers and find what I need before heading to the chain grocery store. And I COMPLETELY understand that not everyone has that option which is a WHOLE OTHER ISSUE.

McDonalds is only owed some of the blame in this situation. I got angry with McDonalds because thats what the topic was about but its WAY bigger than McDonalds sis.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 14th December 2009, 6:39 pm

@LilMsPuddles: It basically comes down to demographics. There's something called Scarborough Research (as well as other databases) that gives businesses an idea of what will work where. Most people in the "hood" aren't interested in an apple walnut salad. They aren't willing to pay a premium price for a few little walnuts and apple slices on a bed of lettuce. Sad, but true. So, it may not be a menu item at certain McDonald's because they don't want to waste money. (They may have even offered it at one point and it wasn't selling, so they took it off the menu.) It's just business.

I live in a mostly Black community with primarily low-mid income residents. There are pockets of affluent and upper-income residents. But there aren't enough of us to bring in certain types of businesses to our community, so we have to travel outside of it if we want to eat more than chicken and beer. My mom is a councilwoman in our community, and she gets shot down every time she talks about bringing businesses like coffee shops, farmer's market, etc. to our community. But folks have no problem voting to allow the liquor store to expand and possibly sell hard liquor (right now they only sell beer and cheap wine).

Now, Magic Johnson has pretty much said forget what your research says, people in urban communities want a movie theater, we drink coffee too so why can't we have a Starbucks, etc. That's why there's a Starbucks in the heart of Harlem on 125th and Lenox, and a large movie theater. I've experienced both on several occasions so I'll reserve my personal judgement, but they seem to be doing well.

@AfrikanLatina: I know it's bigger than McDonalds. That's my point. I simply don't think McDonald's is "pimpin" the Black community. And I certainly don't think they're anything like a drug dealer. But we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by traveljunkie08 on 14th December 2009, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 14th December 2009, 6:57 pm

This is excellent dialogue!!! I wasn't initially trying to start a debate with my initial thread I was posting an observation. I actually agree with all of you. Yes, McDonalds serve this food but its also our choice rather or not we buy it. I know personally, being a single graduate student going in between a job, class, and an internship a lot of times it is easier for me to go thru a fast food restaurant's drive thru. Honestly, I don't particulary care for McDonalds but I do patronize them becaue of convenience. I want to eat healthier and at times I do but as someone else the healthier more quality food are more expensive. I live in a surburb of Charlotte, NC (Rock Hill, Sc) and there are more quality grocery stores (Earth Fare) but they are more expensive. When I do go grocery shopping I shop at Food Lion.

I don't blame McDonald's in no way but in certain areas their food and service is better than other areas. But it isn't only McDonalds that does this but also other restuarants, stores, etc. Wal-Marts in certain area have better quality stuff that other Wal-Marts dependng on the neighborhood. But like traveljunkie08 said a lot of times the "neighborhood" don't want more, they want to expand the liquor stores instead of the libraries or health food stores.

So maybe we need to address our various neighbors and friends about their limited awareness of things outside the "hood" maybe help them expand their minds so maybe n the "hood" their can be gourmet McDonalds, Starbucks, etc etc...

Does this makes sense?
StacyB
StacyB

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 14th December 2009, 7:59 pm

Preach @traveljunkie08!!! LOL! She said everything I was going to say about the research part of it! At the end of the day, McDonald's is a business! They are going to sell what appeals to that demographic! Its all about money too...they spend lots of money doing research to see what will work and what won't. Even though its sad, they aren't going to spend money on putting certain foods in a demographic where its not a go! That's just the name of the game!

On the other hand, I think healthy food choices in the African American community is like a whole nother issue, seriously!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 14th December 2009, 8:37 pm

natural83 wrote:On the other hand, I think healthy food choices in the African American community is like a whole nother issue, seriously!
It's an undeniable epidemic!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 14th December 2009, 9:33 pm

StacyB wrote:I don't blame McDonald's in no way but in certain areas their food and service is better than other areas. But it isn't only McDonalds that does this but also other restuarants, stores, etc. Wal-Marts in certain area have better quality stuff that other Wal-Marts dependng on the neighborhood.

That's what I was going to say about the Starbucks on 125th & Lenox in Harlem. After going there a few times, I never went back. I have no idea how you run out of coffee when that's your business. Neutral I bet the Starbucks down the street in the more gentrified area of Harlem (or SOHA as it is sometimes referred to in order to make it sound fancier) never runs out of coffee. I'm sure the ones on the Upper West and East sides never run out of coffee either. But the Majic Johnson Starbucks does. (Can you tell I have issues with Harlem? Smile) So every time I visit my BF and I want coffee, I go out of my way to pay more for a cup of coffee from a Francophone bakery.

natural83 wrote:
On the other hand, I think healthy food choices in the African American community is like a whole nother issue, seriously!
LilMsPuddles wrote:It's an undeniable epidemic!

I totally agree!!!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 21st December 2009, 1:39 pm

I definitely think McDonalds targets black people. In fact, all the fast food chains build their restaurants in low-income or predominately minority neighborhoods. I think everyone should advocate against fast food restaurants being built in their neighborhoods.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 21st December 2009, 2:23 pm

natural 83 and traveljunkie08 I hear what your saying but, if you only new the statistics on health disparities between african-americans and every other racial group you would know how devastating the commercial influence of powerful corporations like McDonalds is. I am a nutrition major and I did a short paper on health disparities a while back ago. Here are a few excerpts:

The disparity compared with other minority groups such as Asian American Pacific Islanders represents a staggering 394.1% difference (1). For nutrition related diseases like diabetes the age-adjusted death rate was 49.2% for African Americans in 2003. This represents a 184.4 % difference from the majority population (1).

If we were talking about white Americans there would be a public outcry. But more importantly when you combine these statistics with the reallity of African Americans access to quality health care and discrimination within the healthcare system (even with those people lucky enough to have insurance) you will be shocked. I encourage you ladies to visit the CDC website and keyword search "minority health and health disparities". Every African American should know this information.

Last edited by Mllebutterfly on 21st December 2009, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 21st December 2009, 2:42 pm

This used to bother me....but one of head hanchos (sp?) is black. Unfortunately, eating McDonald's is not the type of behavior I promote but if I was the head person in charge I would let my culture shine to. Those checks the actors are getting are paying the bills.

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/our_company/bios/don_thompson.html
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 21st December 2009, 3:31 pm

@mllebutterfly: I'm well aware of the statistics. I live with them.

Fast food restaurants are not the cause of the disparity in access to quality healthcare. Saying let's eliminate fast food restaurants is like putting a band aid on a bullet wound, in my opinion. The issue is way larger than McDonald's. Black folks will still suffer from high blood pressure and diabetes without McDonald's.

McDonald's is everywhere. Perhaps I could see your argument if they were only in Black communities, but they are not. If we got rid of McDonald's, a lot of "us" would be out of work, and then we'd complain about that too.

All I'm saying is let's address the root cause of the issue instead of blaming fast food restaurants. All of us deserve access to quality healthcare and fresh food. To me, that's a right, not a choice. But it is a choice to eat at McDonald's.

My mom has a kidney disease and was on dialysis for several years. When you are on dialysis, you have to watch your fluid intake and stick to a certain diet. My mother did that, and did well (physically) on dialysis. People she went to dialysis with would eat things they weren't supposed to eat while they were on the machine or they would come into dialysis with so much fluid on them that it's a wonder they lived to receive their next treatment. And unfortunately, some of those people did die receiving dialysis treatment. Those people had nutritionists, doctors and technicians counseling them on what they were and weren't supposed to do, but they still made a choice to do it anyway and paid the ultimate price with their life. So there's still an element of personal responsibility here that cannot be ignored.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 21st December 2009, 4:16 pm

I never said that the fast food industry was the sole cause of health disparities. But when you look at urban minority communities they are saturated with fastfood restaurants and liquor stores/ corner stores. The grocery stores are sparse and usually have poorer quality produce that is higher priced than the produce in suburban neighborhoods. Perceptions of African Americans and racist attitudes from some healthcare practitioners effects the quality of care. A lot of African Americans may work jobs that do not give them adequate time-off for regular doctors appointments. Insurance does not always cover preventive medicine like seeing a nutritionist or fitness instructor. There are many factors but, the issue is primarily economic. It is about food justice. I agree that access to quality food is a human right but, the reality is that money and power will greatly influence how well we exercise our rights. I know of many neighborhoods that don't even have a nearby park or their own grocery store. In fact, you had to drive to the neighboring town to go grocery shopping. If you are disabled, ill, and rely on public transportation in winter this can be incredibly difficult. The issue is immense but, there are solutions. If we had a government mandate that for every 3 fast food restaurants in any comunity there had to be atleast 1 supermarket within walking distance that would be wonderful. How about produce coupons?

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down