CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair in Commercials

+14
Ambitious_Tiff
belleaenca
ginagate
sonance
FABulosity22
BattleKat
naomimaxine927
Renny
creolebeauty1
letha
blkbeauty2010
~*Kiana*~
Free2BMe :)
Ebbz
18 posters

Go down

Natural Hair in Commercials Empty Natural Hair in Commercials

Post by Ebbz 10th December 2010, 6:58 pm

I've noticed that in almost all commercials that feature African American females, they have natural hair. Some even have on wigs that are curly/natural looking. I'm not sure how long this has been going on but I know its been happening at least since I started transitioning back in April...

Has anyone else noticed this? How do you feel about it? Why do you think they are doing this or what message do you think they are trying to send? I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair in Commercials Empty Re: Natural Hair in Commercials

Post by Free2BMe :) 10th December 2010, 8:17 pm

I've noticed it too...or maybe I'm just more observant than before. But I do know that a lot of people have decided to go natural so maybe that might be a reason...

http://xoxo-chichi.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 10th December 2010, 8:18 pm

I definitely noticed an outpouring of naturals in commercials. From MCDonalds to Banking. I think its cool, becuz we as a ppl are so diverse that now at least children are getting to see someone that looks like them or has their hair on tv, now whether they are wigs or what not I don't know. I don't think it will last forever, as TV trends change quickly. But at least for the time being its nice being recognized.
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 10th December 2010, 8:36 pm

yeah, the new TJ Maxx christmas commercial, Special K, Ross and Target. There are tons of others. Most are fro's or what looks like a WNG with someones natural curl pattern no/low manipulation. would be nice if more complex styles would be displayed but what we have is already HUGE... one step at a time right?
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 10th December 2010, 8:45 pm

Its a car commerical where the lady is in the rain and a car splashes water on her.. I've seen it more too to be honest I don't remember seeing that b4. I been transitioning since last year Dec so I have to say I noticed it more about 6 months ago.. There are about 4 or 5 ladies at my job that are transitioning also and one who say she is but she keeps backsliding Very Happy I was going by the comment that more ladies are going natural and its funny how we are have difference preference on how we wear our hair during the transitioning.. One gets her blow dried & flat ironed every week and has no preference to wear her hair curly. While me an another girl we choose to wear our hair back in a pony tail to show off our waves and I prefer when I am natural to wear my hair in its curly state.. The other lady who is unsure she just wears her out mostly.. Another lady she gets her hair blow dried and flat ironed during the winter months and summer months she just wear her hair out or pinned out..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 10th December 2010, 10:22 pm

bump
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 10th December 2010, 11:16 pm

I noticed that a while back before i started transitioning i was almost incline to think in order to be in commercials you have to be natural lol jk Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 11th December 2010, 12:01 am

It's in a lot of the print ads here in Atlanta. Dominoes, McDonald, Wal-marts...natural hair everywhere. Praise the Lord.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by naomimaxine927 11th December 2010, 12:05 am

I haven't see many commercials, or maybe I haven't been paying attention.
naomimaxine927
naomimaxine927

http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat 11th December 2010, 1:25 am

I did notice alot of curly hair before I went natural. Yes there are more commercials with curly hair but there were some.
BattleKat
BattleKat

Back to top Go down

Post by FABulosity22 11th December 2010, 7:47 pm

I was just saying the same thing to myself while reading the newest issue of Essence. It seems like all of the African American women and children rock natural hair! Although I was quite disturbed to see an add for "kiddie relaxer" in the mag Shocked
FABulosity22
FABulosity22

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 13th December 2010, 4:56 pm

Oh, it's been going on for a while. Longer than a couple of years. Hell, before I even went natural and I've been natural for 5 years now!
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ginagate 16th December 2010, 11:06 am

I'm seeing it a lot, but I do notice that it's more of the curly look than anything else. i don't see a lot of kinky/fro styles in ads.

ginagate

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 16th December 2010, 2:55 pm

I've been seeing it a lot too but I feel like I only started noticing it after I decided to transition. Once I made that decision it was like a blind had been lifted and I became hyper-aware of all the naturarls around me, including commercials.

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 16th December 2010, 3:38 pm

Only very recently have I started seeing more of the kinky/afro textures, but I do see a lot of curly hair or curly wigs. I think the media is trying to capitalized on this new embrace by black women of their natural hair. I think that if women see women in the media with natural hair, they'll get more interested in it and may actually want to try it, which would help companies to sell all of these new "natural" lines they are coming out with.
Ebbz
Ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th December 2010, 3:43 pm

i've noticed it alot lately, but i've seen commercials on tv where there were natural women like the pine sol lady commercial, but now she got a relaxer or a wig that straightened lol and also commercials w/ women and their children and even commercials w/ natural guys; probably becoming more popular to the general public~ Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 16th December 2010, 3:59 pm

I think anytime you want something or its dear to you, you tend to notice it out in the world more. For instance, since deciding to go natural, it seems I have seen a lot more naturals on tv and just around were I live. Lol, I have also been lsuting after a Scion tC and I am starting to see them on the road everyday. I believe in some ways our AWARENESS is more attuned to see what we want/desire.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 16th December 2010, 4:11 pm

This is definitely something they just started doing.. or rather increasing. People in the media are smart. They hire people to keep track of trends and then you see it on tv. Like having a black president on 24... lately there have been female presidents. They have their eye on the future. Trust and believe! You might have seen a light skin curly or random women with fros- but they are actually ALL OVER the television now. I actually love it. Now if we can start seeing commercials where it's not just implied but a product actually addressed. OH WAIT! I saw a commerical for Kinky Curly on tv this past weekend!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 16th December 2010, 4:21 pm

I was having a convo about this with a friend..Ive always noticed naturals in commercial and he said they only place natural in commercial to set black women apart from white women in the commercial..

have you ladies thought about it this way too????
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 16th December 2010, 6:19 pm

I agree with you rayray19. I think they do it for a more "ethnic" look rather than for the sake of following trends. Marketing people put in front of viewers what they think they want to see, will be comfortable with, or to enforce a certain view of people, not actuality. Ironically, them doing this with curls/fros/twists may cause people to wear their natural hair or think that it's a "trend" worth following. Win!

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th December 2010, 8:31 pm

@rayray19..ppl are so sneaky w/ alot of stuff; media, industry, whatever and they be having a totally different agenda......maybe they want u to feel more comfortable w/ being natural or maybe they have another purpose for putting a black women w/ a fro in a commercial, but um i'm doing me and i LOVE me, whether they ACTUALLY support it or not Very Happy ~

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 16th December 2010, 9:18 pm

I noticed it too; there is an Eggo commercial that shows in the DC area
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down