CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life of a Curly GIRL :)

+36
BlondeByDesire
WarriorPrincess
Treece
NhappyJackie
kim
freckledmom4
ladykay6
TheRYL1
jlowman1
SheeTacular
Mom2KurlyT
QuietButterfly
coilykinks
DvaAuNaturel
poeticlyspkng
Curly_Aquarius
jcanalena79
LaToya28
curly-me-naturally
Intelligentbeauty
CocoEuro
Serenity23
priceless
NubieNatty
ChrsLvsBks
CurlsGalore
Lynnieluve
Nikcoils
bholmes87
Elasstikwaistlyne
krazy coils
crvng4mr
sweetdrk1
Muz
KinkyNappyHappy
BrownSkinDiva
40 posters

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 Empty Re: Life of a Curly GIRL :)

Post by BrownSkinDiva 16th June 2010, 12:03 pm

hey Chrs Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 22nd June 2010, 7:39 am

Hey Ladies!!!

I know its been a while, Ive been crazy busy....I think Im going to take a new turn with my journal, I want it to be about my hair first, but also address some life issues as well....I will post a more detailed entry probably later on today but I just wanted to check in and say hello Smile

Missed you ladies!!!

~BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 22nd June 2010, 8:12 pm

Can't wait for the updates!

Enjoy the rest of your day!
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd June 2010, 7:54 am

Good Morning Lovelies....Im BACK Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 678474 Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 678474

Today I wanted to address an issue that I've been coming across lately.

The Natural Hair Fad

Recently Ive noticed that there are some people going natural as apart of a fad, like they arent sincerely doing it for the health of their hair or to educate themselves on their natural hair state. I've seen people talking about how their transitioning and trying to find out what products to use to compare with the products someone else told them to use and it just seemed like a downward spiral. The females that I actually came into contact with that were apart of this fad didnt seem really zealous about managing their hair, but how to get it to look curly like so and so's hair.

I just feel like to some, Natural Hair, may be like a fad or a phase that people want to go through. Kind of like, when alot of folks were wearing crochets, or chinese bangs as a go to style. I feel that some folks now see their homegirl is going natural or IS natural and they want to jump on the band wagon and that kind of annoys me.

When I went natural I didnt do it for anyone other than myself. Now I see several women who sincerely go natural for the health of their hair and as a form of liberation, and I LOVE that!! I support it whole heartedly, but natural hair isnt a FAD nor should it be treated as such.

We all have different reasons for going natural, some had no choice because their hair broke off after a bad relaxer, or some have been natural their entire lives, whatever your natural story is it is YOUR story and thats beautiful in itself. I just rather folks educate themselves on being natural prior to or after they jump on the band wagon. Going natural isnt the "recession" hair style, as I've heard it called, nor is it "easier" to maintain than a relaxer per se'.

I think Im gonna stop their....but this is my topic of the day/week....I had an encounter this weekend that made me process this thought and bring it to you naturalistas Smile

So whats your take on the topic?

~BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 23rd June 2010, 8:56 am

Hi BSD

I've noticed a lot of naturals, but the few I've spoken with are concerned with the healthy state of their hair!! **pause** Okay I'm back my TV was so loud I couldn't concentrate on what I was trying to type...LOL

Anyway....I do believe that there are individuals that are going natural, because it seems to be the thing to do now or its just a fad for them. For example...I went natural because I wanted healthy hair; however, I didn't do any research in the beginning (which is not the norm for me) because I knew that I wasn't going to put any more chemicals in my hair. Now...once I did my bc I begain to search for knowledge and information on how to properly take care of my hair. Now on the other hand there is a young lady I know that decided to go natural with me. We made a pack to support each other in this journey; however, she is always considering going back to her relaxed hair and she doesn't try and learn how to take care of her natural hair.

I'm not judging her...but I've noticed that the individuals that are serious about growing healthy hair are into learning about all things natural and healthy hair, and those that are getting into this because they think this is the in thing to do now are looking for a particular length, and/or look and they are not paying any attention to the details required for caring for natural hair!!!

Sorry for such a long response!!!

Love your braid out....big hair looks good on you!!

Hope you have a great day!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd June 2010, 8:58 am

See KNH, Im totally digging your response!! I understand what youre saying...thanks for the hair compliments i *heart* big hair now girl Smile

Have a great day!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 23rd June 2010, 9:14 am

BrownSkinDiva wrote:I just rather folks educate themselves on being natural prior to or after they jump on the band wagon. Going natural isnt the "recession" hair style, as I've heard it called, nor is it "easier" to maintain than a relaxer per se'.

I agree and I disagree. I definitely think people should educate themselves on being natural. Not to be overly critical or "natural nazi" like but I don't see the point in going natural if all you're going to do is continue to straighten your hair all the time. I don't see how anyone can see their curls and decide they can't rock them, or they don't want to learn how to deal with them. I especially don't understand that when they have so many resources out there who are more than willing to talk to them about how to deal with their hair and/or point them in the direction of someone else who knows more than they do.

With that being said, I'm not going to lie, part of why I decided to just go on and transition was because I couldn't afford to get another perm. It wasn't a big part, but the idea of paying $55 (it may be $60 now thanks to inflation)that I didn't have for another torture session didn't appeal to me. I'd been flirting with the idea of going natural after seeing some of my friends (BSD included) do it, and the lack of funds gave me the last little push I needed. Once I started actually doing research there was no turning back Smile

I do think my natural hair is much easier to deal with. The only thing that was easier about my relaxed hair was the fact that I could put it in a ponytail, but I think within a couple of months I'll be able to do that with my natural hair.

I think when people go natural as part of a fad, that's fine. Do you. I wouldn't want you criticizing my hair decisions (especially when you don't have to deal with it or even look at it every day). But if you ARE doing it as part of a fad, I wish they'd still care enough to learn how to take care of it so they could look like something.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd June 2010, 9:21 am

^^ I understand what youre saying, my point is that some people feel that Natural hair is 100% less work and much easier than having a relaxer i.e. they dont feel that they need to moisturize it properly or wash it properly. Ive seen some people go natural and wear a dried fro with lint in it like they rolled out of the bed, no care for their hair at all.

Im NOT a natural nazi by any means, I feel if folks wanna go natural today and get a relaxer tomorrow thats you, but I dont like it when folks try and act interested in something when they arent sincere about it. Its just my opinion and I know we all view things differently though.

Im also not saying that everyone needs to have slept long nights in the library or do all day research on natural hair before they go natural im just saying there are some who dont do any research or care to learn about their hair WHILE or before they become natural because they dont really care about the health, but the look that their homegirl has so they want it too.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 23rd June 2010, 9:40 am

LOL@ sleeping in the library.

Well then I think we agree. But then, as you know, when I commit to something I REALLY commit to it.

Speaking of which I saw someone in the Sprint store the other day that looked like they just rolled out of the bed and had lint all up in their hair. I had to stop myself from staring at it. LOL
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd June 2010, 9:41 am

^^LOL i saw a bridesmaid in a WEDDING who looked like that, and I was like "really??"...the fro was so dry and idk if she picked it out or anything...

Speaking of sprint, I miss BB messaging you... Sad
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 23rd June 2010, 9:42 am

BrownSkinDiva wrote:^^ I understand what youre saying, my point is that some people feel that Natural hair is 100% less work and much easier than having a relaxer i.e. they dont feel that they need to moisturize it properly or wash it properly. Ive seen some people go natural and wear a dried fro with lint in it like they rolled out of the bed, no care for their hair at all. This is so true, but I believe this has to do with the total lack of knowledge and they just don't know where to get the information from. However, when they are told they still can't seem to embrace the need to properly take care of their natural hair. It can be real frustrating, and I feel sorry for those individuals because they will never get it. I work with a young lady that has been natural for over a year and she hasn't had any and I mean any hair growth!!! I had to stop her because I wanted to know what she was doing or rather not doing. I told her that she was not representing the natural community well at all, and I needed for her to check out a few websites. (CN was one)

Im NOT a natural nazi by any means, I feel if folks wanna go natural today and get a relaxer tomorrow thats you, but I dont like it when folks try and act interested in something when they arent sincere about it. Its just my opinion and I know we all view things differently though. I don't know if they are not sincere, but I do think that they want the look that makes them feel better (sounds like a commercial) however, they don't have the time or patience to do everything that is required for natural hair care...you know?

Im also not saying that everyone needs to have slept long nights in the library or do all day research on natural hair before they go natural im just saying there are some who dont do any research or care to learn about their hair WHILE or before they become natural because they dont really care about the health, but the look that their homegirl has so they want it too.
]b]AMEN!!! [/b] Very Happy
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd June 2010, 9:44 am

^^and this is why I love you guys, I love yalls points of view!!

Thanks Muz and KNH Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 23rd June 2010, 10:38 am

ok ya'll talking bout some thangs up in here! Well I was in the salon and they were asking my daughter why she didn't let her's go natural. Then one of the stylist said you don't have to be all on the forums like your mom. "I was like why do you care about how I get my natural knowledge" then I realized I am in her pocket because I don't get my hair done every other week anymore.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd June 2010, 10:40 am

^^ Wow...thats a trip indeed!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 23rd June 2010, 11:14 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:ok ya'll talking bout some thangs up in here! Well I was in the salon and they were asking my daughter why she didn't let her's go natural. Then one of the stylist said you don't have to be all on the forums like your mom. "I was like why do you care about how I get my natural knowledge" then I realized I am in her pocket because I don't get my hair done every other week anymore.

HA! You should have said "well we also don't have to be all in this salon or your chair" picked up your daughter and your purse and hit the road. LOL Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 23rd June 2010, 11:37 am

Hey BSD!!

I think natural hair is definitely becoming a trend/fad and some people are jumping on the band wagon, but when the smoke clears and its not considered as "cool" as it is right now, the ladies that were/are serious about being natural and taking care of their hair will be left standing.

I just read a short article yesterday about this young lady with long relaxed hair, well her friend made a comment that she would look "cooler" with her hair natural, so the next day the relaxed girl tried to get her hair to look as curly as possible so she could be considered "cool" in her friends eyes.

Also, some people might get caught up in the fad, but become educated on how beneficial it is, then decide to stay natural......so thats a good thing.

I do way more to my hair now that I'm natural, than when I had a relaxer, so I don't think natural hair is less work. I think it takes work, but its good work. Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 Icon_biggrin
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 23rd June 2010, 11:39 am

^^good point butterfly, and that article really speaks volumes to how peoples opinions of how they think we should be can play into how we view ourselves, whether it be socially acceptable or not...

thanks hon Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 24th June 2010, 12:38 am

QuietButterfly wrote:Hey BSD!!

I think natural hair is definitely becoming a trend/fad and some people are jumping on the band wagon, but when the smoke clears and its not considered as "cool" as it is right now, the ladies that were/are serious about being natural and taking care of their hair will be left standing.

I just read a short article yesterday about this young lady with long relaxed hair, well her friend made a comment that she would look "cooler" with her hair natural, so the next day the relaxed girl tried to get her hair to look as curly as possible so she could be considered "cool" in her friends eyes.

Also, some people might get caught up in the fad, but become educated on how beneficial it is, then decide to stay natural......so thats a good thing.

I do way more to my hair now that I'm natural, than when I had a relaxer, so I don't think natural hair is less work. I think it takes work, but its good work. Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 Icon_biggrin

I totally agree, I thought it would be less work. And when I realized it wasnt-I was kinda disappointed until I found support from youtube and CN to help me along the way. When I went natural I had no idea what to use or how to style-and I am still learning but I am up for the challenge.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 25th June 2010, 7:53 am

Happy Friday Divas!!!

I hope you all have had a great work week Smile Please enjoy your weekends!!

I was on my daily youtube video viewing this AM and I came across this video on natural hair comparisons and I wanted to share it with you..

Her Hair Is NOT My Hair

Leave some input about what you think of this video...

Naturally Yours,

~BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 29th June 2010, 12:15 pm

Hey Ladies!!

I know its been a little minute, and Im so sorry, work has been crazy, but life has been great

In Hair News

I tried a new method for wash n gos....I remember Nikki saying that she uses HE Hydralicious as a leave in, so I thought Id give it a try as a leave in for a wash n go and BOY OH BOY did it work well for my hair.....I sectioned my hair in four and "smooshed" the conditioner through each section, I put some gel on the edges and heres my puff finished result Smile

Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 IMG00014201006260958-vi
Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 IMG00019201006261006-vi
(these are like my FAV earrings LOL)

So it didnt take long to dry at all, but it pretty much stayed cute and curly the entire day, as a matter of fact i got 2 and 3 day hair from this wash n go....but i chose to deep condish on the 4th day....

Im currently rocking another WnG so i will post more pics later Smile

In Other News
I loved some parts of the BET Awards, some of it I couldve done without, but the MJ tribute by Chris Brown was awesome, and I loved Debarge and of course Patti and Janelle Monae did well on the Prince dedication.

thats about all thats going on right now, but I thank yall for stopping by!!

Have an awesomely blessed week Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 30th June 2010, 9:38 am

Just an update

Im on day 3 of my wash and go and Lola is doing well....I think she loves the new WnG method....im gonna post some pics prob friday Smile

Happy Hump Day Lovelies!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 30th June 2010, 1:38 pm

Very nice WnG!!! Life of a Curly GIRL :) - Page 7 Icon_biggrin
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 30th June 2010, 1:45 pm

thanks QuietButterfly Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Mom2KurlyT 30th June 2010, 4:04 pm

Nice puff. Your curls are very defined.
Mom2KurlyT
Mom2KurlyT

http://kurlytspot.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 1st July 2010, 7:47 am

Good Morning Lovelies,

I was doing my morning youtube peruse and I came across a video about a hair steamer...I may check this out...heres the link Huetiful Steamer

Have a great day!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next