CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =)

+57
Kea::curls
FemmeFox
CurlyChefRobin
j. kinky
Sebastain13
misskris
Treece
PaganWifey
naturallynola
cyclingchick
Renny
Deva_87
thetiffany
BlondeByDesire
mverde3
bholmes87
freckledmom4
curly-me-naturally
missmoriah
TheRYL1
WhosThatRedHead
MomnWife
nattyblog
swoodward
QuietButterfly
mstokes2008
Muz
Intelligentbeauty
LaToya28
Neems
priceless
DvaAuNaturel
CrissyQ
NhappyJackie
Curly_Aquarius
ChrsLvsBks
Janet36603
LadyMika
iri9109
Mz. CiCi
GodsNaturalBeauti
naturalchic
Nikcoils
Pinkrage
Juices-n-Berries
CocoEuro
CocaColaCutie
CurlsGalore
ktoliver5303
poeticlyspkng
KinkyNappyHappy
krazy coils
SheeTacular
Lynnieluve
NubieNatty
sweetdrk1
jlowman1
61 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =) - Page 14 Empty Re: jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =)

Post by poeticlyspkng 19th August 2010, 1:08 pm

Hey Jlow! Just dropping by.... I've been m.i.a. and have missed a lot. Your protective style was so cute. Did you say you took it down after 2 days?? I never learned how to braid. I do a good job just to twist. I've been trying to do random braids when I'm twisting just to see the effect but that's not my forte. I accept it. You all have my back though!

If you do a masters thesis based on hair, I would hope you share and include us in your findings and research! Smile
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =) - Page 14 Empty Re: jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =)

Post by Janet36603 20th August 2010, 2:48 am

jlowman1 wrote:
Janet36603 wrote:
jlowman1 wrote:
Hey Janet! My classes seem like they are gonna be ok, a little tough but I'll make it through. Very Happy How much longer do you have before you get your Masters? and what is your Thesis topic going to be?

If everything goes according to plan I'll be graduating in May! My thesis is going to be about whether there is a bias towards lighter or darker skinned African Americans in job interviews. Laughing I think I already know what the results will be but it's going to be SOOO much work!

How exciting, that sounds very interesting! Very Happy
If I decide to get my Masters, I think my thesis would probably be something hair related, I feel like I've become obsessed with it. lol

I almost did something hair related...but I was already beating it into the ground with my boyfriend...and I hadn't even done my BC yet lol
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 26th August 2010, 7:45 pm

the style is super cute!!! good job. I agree with poetically! Sign me up as a research subject!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 29th August 2010, 7:15 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hey Jlow! Just dropping by.... I've been m.i.a. and have missed a lot. Your protective style was so cute. Did you say you took it down after 2 days?? I never learned how to braid. I do a good job just to twist. I've been trying to do random braids when I'm twisting just to see the effect but that's not my forte. I accept it. You all have my back though!

If you do a masters thesis based on hair, I would hope you share and include us in your findings and research! Smile

swoodward wrote:the style is super cute!!! good job. I agree with poetically! Sign me up as a research subject!

Thanks and I definitely will do that! Very Happy

Janet36603 wrote:
jlowman1 wrote:
Janet36603 wrote:
jlowman1 wrote:
Hey Janet! My classes seem like they are gonna be ok, a little tough but I'll make it through. Very Happy How much longer do you have before you get your Masters? and what is your Thesis topic going to be?

If everything goes according to plan I'll be graduating in May! My thesis is going to be about whether there is a bias towards lighter or darker skinned African Americans in job interviews. Laughing I think I already know what the results will be but it's going to be SOOO much work!

How exciting, that sounds very interesting! Very Happy
If I decide to get my Masters, I think my thesis would probably be something hair related, I feel like I've become obsessed with it. lol

I almost did something hair related...but I was already beating it into the ground with my boyfriend...and I hadn't even done my BC yet lol

Thats too funny! lol!

jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 29th August 2010, 7:30 pm

First off I would like to say, CONGRATS TO CURLY NIKKI! Cant wait to see the pics, I bet she is beautiful! Many blessings and happy wishes to her and her family! Very Happy

UPDATE:

Its been a minute since I've done an update. Haven't been doing much other than wash n gos. When it gets cooler, I'll be getting sew ins as a protective style. Wash n gos in the winter time are a definite no no. Today I straightened my hair for the first time in about a year. Very interesting experience. Here's my results: jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =) - Page 14 Straig10

HORRIBLE I KNOW, the only good that came out of that is I was able to trim a little more of my bad ends and the fact I can put my hair into a high pony now: jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =) - Page 14 Pony10

I cant wait to wash my hair and get my curls back. Pray for me that I don't have heat damage! Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day! Very Happy

Last edited by jlowman1 on 29th August 2010, 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update at 8:30... No worries, my curls popped right back when the water hit them! Yayyy! :D)
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =) - Page 14 Empty Im so excited!

Post by jlowman1 31st August 2010, 5:14 pm

Well I work on campus at my school & I'm just sitting at my desk when out of the blue I get a call from an employee that I see on campus from time to time. She gave me a really awesome compliment (said my hair was beautiful Embarassed) and said that I have really inspired her to go natural and she's thinking about doing the BC really soon. How freaking cool is that? It feels really great to inspire someone. Just when you think no one is even looking (positively) or paying attention, something like that happens. I get soooo much support from you ladies but in my physical everyday life, I rarely see naturals in my area. I rarely get positive compliments on campus and usually get the stares and the weird looks. So that's my story for the day, I just had to share that with you guys! afro

Moral of the story: Stay positive and keep your head up about this natural "thang", you never know who you will inspire to take the journey!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 1st September 2010, 12:37 am

awwwww
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 1st September 2010, 10:47 am

That was nice. You do wear it well!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 1st September 2010, 4:30 pm

Thanks so much! Very Happy
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 1st September 2010, 6:57 pm

That is great (the compliment). We as women don't compliment each other enough in everyday life. It is just easier to do it online. What school do you go to? I am at UAB and was amazed on the 3rd day of class. Driving in, of course, I saw about 4 natural ladies all crossing the same intersection. When I first started here, I only remember 1 natural and she is relaxed now and hates it.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 1st September 2010, 7:02 pm

NhappyJackie wrote:That is great (the compliment). We as women don't compliment each other enough in everyday life. It is just easier to do it online. What school do you go to? I am at UAB and was amazed on the 3rd day of class. Driving in, of course, I saw about 4 natural ladies all crossing the same intersection. When I first started here, I only remember 1 natural and she is relaxed now and hates it.

I know right, its really sad. Everytime I see a natural, I at least make an attempt to smile if I dont give her a compliment.

I go to AUM! UAB was actually my first choice but I ended up switching to AUM at the last minute. lol
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 1st September 2010, 11:53 pm

just stopping by to say hi. congrats on the compliemnt it feels good to inspire someone i feel. you wear thst hair well enjoy your start of your new year
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 2nd September 2010, 3:18 am

Awesome compliment. I would be so flattered if I had inspired someone to go natural! It just goes to show that we never know who's watching us when we're just going about our day.

I get those strange looks sometimes too and I'm thinking "what the heck is your problem" and then I remember that I might be wearing my hair a little wilder than usual that day and other people may not be used to it, but I just throw on a smile and keep it moving. Even on those days when you hair isn't doing exactly what you want, if you act like you love it, others will too Very Happy
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 2nd September 2010, 12:18 pm

priceless wrote:just stopping by to say hi. congrats on the compliemnt it feels good to inspire someone i feel. you wear thst hair well enjoy your start of your new year

Hey Priceless! Thanks so much, so do you! Very Happy

Janet36603 wrote:Awesome compliment. I would be so flattered if I had inspired someone to go natural! It just goes to show that we never know who's watching us when we're just going about our day.

I get those strange looks sometimes too and I'm thinking "what the heck is your problem" and then I remember that I might be wearing my hair a little wilder than usual that day and other people may not be used to it, but I just throw on a smile and keep it moving. Even on those days when you hair isn't doing exactly what you want, if you act like you love it, others will too Very Happy

Thanks J, that really made my day! Very Happy
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 2nd September 2010, 1:10 pm

3 cheers for inspiring others! And even more so, you did it by just being you. You never know who is watching and obviously you are representing well!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 2nd September 2010, 4:43 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:3 cheers for inspiring others! And even more so, you did it by just being you. You never know who is watching and obviously you are representing well!

Thanks poeticlyspkng! Very Happy
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 3rd September 2010, 2:47 pm

Get recognized for something you don't expect a compliment on is the best. I work at CSULB in Cali and school just started this week and I am noticing alot more natural students. Which was pretty much nonexistant when I was a student here in the 90's. It's nice to see the change especially with Cali being the weave capital...lol.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 3rd September 2010, 2:59 pm

Your hair is very shiny! I am watching because my kid and I (she is 21) were thinking of flatironing her hair soon for a length check. So let us know how you made out. I don't know if i am ready for straightening yet because my scalp is so picky. We'll see.

I am not surprised about your inspiration story. You must feel great!

swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 3rd September 2010, 6:05 pm

npmoore04 wrote:Get recognized for something you don't expect a compliment on is the best. I work at CSULB in Cali and school just started this week and I am noticing alot more natural students. Which was pretty much nonexistant when I was a student here in the 90's. It's nice to see the change especially with Cali being the weave capital...lol.

It was awesome! That is great, I really wish it would catch on here. I can probably count on two hands how many naturals I've seen since I've been here.

swoodward wrote:Your hair is very shiny! I am watching because my kid and I (she is 21) were thinking of flatironing her hair soon for a length check. So let us know how you made out. I don't know if i am ready for straightening yet because my scalp is so picky. We'll see.

I am not surprised about your inspiration story. You must feel great!

Thanks swoodward!

I was very lucky. I didn't use a heat protectant or anything. Next time, I will definitely get something to protect my hair. I was very afraid of straightening so I was like I'm just gonna go for it and it actually wasn't that bad. I blew my hair out on low. Next, I made sure to only make one pass, two at the most on each section. Kept the heat setting on the flat iron really low.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 12th September 2010, 1:56 am

Speaking of naturals, one of the girls in my IQ class came in last Thursday with a fresh BC. Maybe an inch or so of hair. She's much braver than I was lol. I made sure to tell her I liked it because I know how nerve racking it can be those first few weeks pale

I'm not sure if she's actually jumping on the natural train or just wanted to cut her hair super short but still I was happy lol
Janet36603
Janet36603

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 12th September 2010, 3:19 am

Hey Jlow...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I like your straight hair pictures. So...did your curls revert back? Just curious...I wanted to straighten my hair, but I think I'm going to wait until I'm about 18 months natural.

Hope you have a great school year!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 12th September 2010, 5:27 pm

Janet36603 wrote:Speaking of naturals, one of the girls in my IQ class came in last Thursday with a fresh BC. Maybe an inch or so of hair. She's much braver than I was lol. I made sure to tell her I liked it because I know how nerve racking it can be those first few weeks pale

I'm not sure if she's actually jumping on the natural train or just wanted to cut her hair super short but still I was happy lol

Thats about how short mine was. I thought I was gonna hate it but I looooved that stage of my TWA. It was so much quicker and easier to manage. I think after a couple years, maybe 5 or so, I wanna cut it back that short again. & Kudos to you for letting her know you liked it, Im sure that really made her feel good.

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey Jlow...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I like your straight hair pictures. So...did your curls revert back? Just curious...I wanted to straighten my hair, but I think I'm going to wait until I'm about 18 months natural.

Hope you have a great school year!

KNH

Hey KNH! Thanks and yes my curls reverted right back. I'm gonna get over being scared of heat. Now that I've done it, I feel more comfortable with it and believe if I take all the necessary precautions, I'll be fine. Your straight hair is gonna be fly, I cant wait to see what it would look like with your gorgeous color!

Thanks for the well wishes, school is already beating down on me lol I'll make it through though.

Thanks for stopping by. There's sooo many new ppl on Curlstreet so its harder to make my rounds. I'll be sure to get to your place soon. Very Happy
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 12th September 2010, 6:39 pm

Hey jlowman...

Passing through saying HEY! Lookin' good in that there avi! :-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 12th September 2010, 6:52 pm

TheRYL1 wrote:Hey jlowman...

Passing through saying HEY! Lookin' good in that there avi! :-)

Thanks RYL1!!!! I gotta get to your place and get my kicks and giggles! lol!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 14th September 2010, 5:43 pm

I'M LOVING BRAIDOUTS! *Excuse the big zit on my forehead...lol*

Products used: QB Burdock Root Butter Cream + QB Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm = Big fluffy defined hair!

jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =) - Page 14 Cimg0010

jlowman1: SHORT UPDATE 3/18 =) - Page 14 Cimg0012

jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next