CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oils, Potions, Concoctions - Oh My!

+8
ChrsLvsBks
HAMPTONSFNST
A-Felice
HappyCurly
NylaCoils
Tinkie
CurlsGalore
BlakButterfli
12 posters

Go down

Oils, Potions, Concoctions - Oh My! Empty Oils, Potions, Concoctions - Oh My!

Post by BlakButterfli 21st April 2010, 3:12 pm

Ladies,

I am looking for somone (anyone!) who can help me with some mixes. I want to encourage growth of my hair and have heard that essential oils like rosemary and peppermint are good for this. I use shea butter in my hair at times, but have heard its good to mix things into it. Or maybe I should use EVCO or EVOO?? And essential oils vs. carrier oils?? Is one better than the other????

As you can see, I'm lost and there is just TOO much conflicting info if I Google this.

Can someone give me some basic 101 info about mixing potions/concoctions that would encourage growth? My hair is very soft and fine and is 4A if that helps.

Thank you! And if you just want to direct me to helpful websites, I appreciate that as well. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Oils, Potions, Concoctions - Oh My! Empty Re: Oils, Potions, Concoctions - Oh My!

Post by CurlsGalore 21st April 2010, 3:25 pm

Check out Mop Top Maven's blog. She has a section on mixing concotions and her hair is AMAZING!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Oils, Potions, Concoctions - Oh My! Empty Re: Oils, Potions, Concoctions - Oh My!

Post by Tinkie 21st April 2010, 3:37 pm

I recently made my own shea butter mixture and i loveeeeee it for my twist and braids or other protective styles its;;

2 scoops of shea butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
a squirt of aloe vera gel
a squirt of kinky curly knot today

this gives me lots of moisture and hold , & i love it because during the week i dont need anything heavy to re moisturize just my water mixture Smile
Tinkie
Tinkie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 21st April 2010, 4:13 pm

CurlsGalore wrote:Check out Mop Top Maven's blog. She has a section on mixing concotions and her hair is AMAZING!

Will do! If I Google her, will it come up??
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 21st April 2010, 4:29 pm

Tinkie wrote:I recently made my own shea butter mixture and i loveeeeee it for my twist and braids or other protective styles its;;

2 scoops of shea butter

this gives me lots of moisture and hold , & i love it because during the week i dont need anything heavy to re moisturize just my water mixture [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tinkie, do you "whip" this mixture? I tried to melt shea butter once and it was reduced to a liquid, which excited me since it was easier to put on. However, when I put it in my hair and it solidified - my twists were all yellow and greasy. I guess when it was liquified, I was a little overzealous in putting it in my hair. lol
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 21st April 2010, 4:57 pm

Mop top maven

http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/search/label/Life%20of%20a%20Mixtress

To make wipped shea butter - put that into a search on youtube.
Also you can add carrier oils to the rosemary and peppermint

I am having growth issues- and both are supposed to promote growth

I have added peppermint, rosemary...to the following carrier oils...grapeseed, sweet almond oil and avocado.

My hair doesnt like olive oil- it tends to dry my hair out.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 21st April 2010, 6:06 pm

How can you tell when your hair is dried out? I use olive oil a lot but I dont think it's hurt my hair.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 21st April 2010, 6:54 pm

For me, it is about the feel of my hair! I can just tell how it feels when I use the olive oil versus other oils. The texture of it doesn't feel hard or dry when I use anything oil other than olive oil. Olive oil gives my hair a greasy feel and provides no sheen.

Each head is different, though. I have had to learn by trial and error what my hair likes and doesnt.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 21st April 2010, 7:00 pm

Thanks! It does make my hair a bit hard (if I don't mix it well with water), maybe I will shop around. the coconut oil doesn't as often make it hard. when I see it hard, i don't like it, but I like it more than frizz!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Felice 23rd April 2010, 2:44 am

BlakButterfli wrote:

Tinkie, do you "whip" this mixture? I tried to melt shea butter once and it was reduced to a liquid, which excited me since it was easier to put on. However, when I put it in my hair and it solidified - my twists were all yellow and greasy. I guess when it was liquified, I was a little overzealous in putting it in my hair. lol

After you melt the solid oils, ( shea butter, coconut oil) and you mix
them all together, you let them solidify again ( you could refridgerate it) before you put it in your hair.

If you're just using shea butter alone, as a solid... i believe some people use a hand mixer to whip it. Whether they soften it by heating it gently prior to, I don't know, but I imagine that would make sense.

Smile
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 23rd April 2010, 11:46 am

For my whipped shea, I added jojoba, peppermint and tea tree oils. I may have added sweet orange oil for fragrance.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd April 2010, 4:52 pm

BlakButterfli wrote:
Tinkie wrote:I recently made my own shea butter mixture and i loveeeeee it for my twist and braids or other protective styles its;;

2 scoops of shea butter

this gives me lots of moisture and hold , & i love it because during the week i dont need anything heavy to re moisturize just my water mixture [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have used something very similar. It was called sheacocoaloe, I think. I melted the shea so it was reduced to a liquid. To melt the shea, I placed it in a plastic container and then put that container in some microwaved water. I added the extra virgin coconut oil--I did not use any other oil--separately (mixing for about a minute after each). I then added the aloe vera gel (moisturizer). I sat it in the fridge until it firmed up. I would not say it had a whipped consistency. It was more like a softer texture than shea but definitely firm and needed to be emulsified before I used it.

When mixing with shea, I would say to add each ingredient separately mixing well before adding the next.

If your hair is soft and fine, I would suggest using wheat germ oil and liquid amino acids. I have seen both in the health food store. Both have protein. Fine hair needs more protein. I would try mixing it in a small batch to see how your hair responds.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd April 2010, 5:04 pm

I asked MileHighCitySista from fotki for her recipe after seeing how great her hair looked. Here is her response to me.
"... "sheacocoaloe" and the parts of each involved:
1/2 cup unrefined shea butter
1/8 cup coconut oil (a little goes a long way)
1/2 cup 100% pure aloe vera gel . . . .whipped with a mixer!! . . . really keeps my twists & twist outs super defined and I have virtually no frizz . . . I also like the shine!! HHG!..."
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 23rd April 2010, 5:14 pm

Wow ladies - thanks for all of your help. I was debating on whether to order Komaza (sp?) Hair stuff (they have a protein treatment) but I think I will try adding wheat germ like ChrsLvsBks said.

Thanks so much for all of the recipe suggestions. I just bought a big batch of shea butter on yesterday and am ready to get mixing!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 23rd April 2010, 10:10 pm

Maybe try scalp massages w/rosemary EO & a carrier oil. Scalp massages feel great and really gets the blood flowing to the hair follicles. Always works for me!! As a matter of fact, I haven't done them in a while cuz I'm still trying to handle the length that I have now!
Maybe it'll work for you as well...
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by snazzy_naps75 27th April 2010, 11:54 pm

Hi I am new to this and I am trying to get a feel of keeping my natural hair in good health. I just did my second big chop Jan 2010. I just wanted to know what kind of things I should be using. Currently I am using Cantu moisturizing and the oil and using Bio infusion olive oil products. The products are working ok but as I am reading I see alot of different oils and home mixtures. Just want to do it right this time around.

snazzy_naps75

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffy2 10th May 2010, 7:27 pm

I recently made my own shea butter mix,skin cream and hair mist. but I can't give out the recipes because I plan on selling my products to people. I asked my bestfriend "NolaCurls" to be my tester. it's been doing wonders for my skin and hair,so ladies put in your orders lol!
Tiffy2
Tiffy2

https://facebook.com/cherrikissez

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 11th May 2010, 10:31 am

im gonna def add that aloe vera gel to my mix and see how it comes out, thanks for the suggestions ladies!!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down