CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut?

5 posters

Go down

Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut? Empty Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut?

Post by curlista 7th December 2009, 9:31 pm

Does it depend on your hair type? Are some thicker than others?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut? Empty Re: Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut?

Post by NylaCoils 7th December 2009, 9:40 pm

Curlista- I think you may want to try them all! I know my hair doesnt like coconut oil at all. Then there are others that swear by it! I also love almond oil! Well at least, Nyla (my hair) does!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut? Empty Re: Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut?

Post by curlista 7th December 2009, 9:47 pm

Ok thanks, also which would be the cheapest? I'm currently in college so I'm on a budget lol
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Which oil? Jojoba, Olive, Castor, Coconut? Empty Oils

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th December 2009, 9:50 pm

If your hair strands are thin in texture, you may not want to use EVOO or castor. If you do, you may want to thin it with grapeseed or jojoba.

EVOO and castor oil are thicker oils with castor being the thicker. Grapeseed and jojoba oil are lighter oils. Coconut oil is in between the other oils I mentioned. It will solidify and you emulsify it in your hands for a couple of minutes.

Castor oil is said to help with hair growth. Jojoba oil is similar to the sebum our skin produces. It can be expensive.

I have also tried wheat germ oil. It is light but I do not use it often. I don't remember the benefits of it. I think I purchased it because I saw it listed on ingredients on a conditioner or two.

I definitely suggest purchasing unrefined virgin oils. They are not stripped of their "goodness". Extra virgin olive oil and castor are the least expensive. I have purchased unrefined coconut oil for $12.99 for about a 12 oz container. It lasted nearly five months--need to get more.

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 7th December 2009, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added comment about costs)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 7th December 2009, 9:56 pm

Thank you ChrsLvsBks that was really helpful. I have a quick question though, my hair tends you look thinner at the edges and straightens easily but looks big in volume. So should I go for the thicker oils or the later?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by KurlyK 7th December 2009, 10:02 pm

I love them all but I need Castor Oil in the winter... the rest don't cut it!
KurlyK
KurlyK

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th December 2009, 10:07 pm

curlista wrote:Thank you ChrsLvsBks that was really helpful. I have a quick question though, my hair tends you look thinner at the edges and straightens easily but looks big in volume. So should I go for the thicker oils or the later?

It sounds like you can use any of the oils. My hair responds like yours--easily straightens and can get big in volume. I like them all. They do not tame the volume but rather seal in the moisture. To tame the volume, I use stylers.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 7th December 2009, 10:13 pm

Ok, thanks for all the help Very Happy I think I'm going to try the castor oil
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by KurlyK 7th December 2009, 11:26 pm

If I were you I would try them all. My hair like them all but I have to use Castor in the winter as I said before. Its really heavy though and I only use it for my twists (worn up to 5 days) by the time I take them down my hair is moisturized but not weighed down.

You can get Castor Oil at Walmart for 3 bucks with tax

EVOO in your pantry or at any store for 4 - 5 bucks

Jojoba and Coconut oil are kinda pricey though they can run up to 10 bucks
Vitamin Shoppe online has Coconut at $6 but with S&H you would end up paying more (try the store).
KurlyK
KurlyK

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 8th December 2009, 6:35 pm

Oh ok, thanks for the advice KurlyK
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Apearl 9th December 2009, 3:55 pm

I love Coconut oil. I have used Olive, Jojoba and Sweet Almond as well.

I recently learned that Jojoba oil, which is in a lot of natural/organic skin products, is the oil closest to the oil our skin makes. I plan to begin using it more now!
Apearl
Apearl

http://public.fotki.com/ApearlC/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down