CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair and Education Poll

+16
tiashaunteé
MsJay1121
Karyn
bklynmama1
Treece
Curly_Aquarius
TheRYL1
BajanPrincess82
ktoliver5303
Intelligentbeauty
JNelly
Muz
Hollis
natural813
LaToya28
Juices-n-Berries
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please select the highest level of education completed. If you are currently pursuing a certain degree, check that level. If you are in high school, I would ask that you not vote as it would skew the result.

Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap8%Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 11 ]
Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap56%Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 56% 
[ 76 ]
Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap17%Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 23 ]
Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap4%Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 6 ]
Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap14%Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 136

Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 Empty Re: Natural Hair and Education Poll

Post by Karyn 17th April 2010, 7:37 pm

CurlieCutes1121 wrote:
Karyn wrote:So, is thread topic implying that black women with natural hair are smarter than women with relaxed...? If so, that seems a little far-fetched and pretentious. Especially considering that many ladies on here only recently (like, within the last year) decided to BC. Just sayin'.

Anyways, I'm still in high school, but I plan to double major in Psychology and maybe Creative Writing (still dunno if that's right for me). I also plan to pursue my Masters. Don't worry, I didn't vote.

No, don't think so... I think people just want to see if there is some correlation between natural hair and education. But there are so many other factors to this: location, environment, finances, life experience, etc. These factors played more of a role in my decision to stay natural than my actual education, since 1) my natural hair was embraced by my mother, 2) relaxer maintenance and salon visits add up, and 3) as I've grown, I've learned to appreciate all of me sans changes. I'm sure these factors (and maybe others) influenced other women as well.

Yeah, I thought that these factors would play more of a part.

Btw J-n-B, sorry if I come as a "troublemaker" (to put it in the lamest terms, haha) in your threads. I'm just a curious person and always ask questions about things. Your thread topics are interesting.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair and Education Poll - Page 2 Empty Re: Natural Hair and Education Poll

Post by Juices-n-Berries 17th April 2010, 11:57 pm

@Karyn. I don't think you're a troublemaker at all. Lol. I think it's healthy to be curious and ask questions. This thread wasn't my original idea, it started somewhere else. I was just helping out with the poll. But I don't think anyone was implying that people with natural are smarter. It was simply based off the observation that many people with higher level degrees have natural hair. The study would be more accurate if you surveyed the people with those degrees to see the percent that was natural. That would give a better insight into the point that was actually being made. We just wanted to take a general poll based off the CurlyNikki family. Of course, all naturals do not have a higher academic standing. Just like women with relaxers, natural women are all very different and shouldn't be forced into categories. However, based on the CurlyNikki Poll alone, it seems that their may be some truth to the story. 53% have a Bachelor's degree and 33% have even higher degrees. I think it's all very interesting.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by JNelly 18th April 2010, 3:17 pm

These results are interesting. Things that make you go hmmmmm.
JNelly
JNelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 18th April 2010, 6:33 pm

Hey Juices-n-Berries,

That's okay, I went ahead and checked Bachelors. Thanks!
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 9:55 am

JNelly wrote:These results are interesting. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Ditto.

Maybe someone like Essence will pick this up and do a nationwide poll. Is anyone here on LCHF - I think that would be a good place to have a poll going also.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 19th April 2010, 2:43 pm

Interesting topic. Also, I think that it would be interesting to find out "when" one decide to wear their natural hair texture ... 1) during high school 2) undergraduate degree 3) professional degree 4) work force...etc.

With regards to hair and pursuing an education, I think that African American women find the freedom to express themselves at this point in life. When you leave home and your mother/parents to start your undergraduate degree, you are technically independent and have to make a lot of decisions on your own. I noticed that a lot of the people I know and friends decided to go natural during their college career. I decided to wear natural hairstyles when I started graduate school.
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 2:45 pm

MsCrystal wrote:Interesting topic. Also, I think that it would be interesting to find out "when" one decide to wear their natural hair texture ... 1) during high school 2) undergraduate degree 3) professional degree 4) work force...etc.

With regards to hair and pursuing an education, I think that African American women find the freedom to express themselves at this point in life. When you leave home and your mother/parents to start your undergraduate degree, you are technically independent and have to make a lot of decisions on your own. I noticed that a lot of the people I know and friends decided to go natural during their college career. I decided to wear natural hairstyles when I started graduate school.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you currently doing something related to African American women and hair?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 19th April 2010, 2:54 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
MsCrystal wrote:Interesting topic. Also, I think that it would be interesting to find out "when" one decide to wear their natural hair texture ... 1) during high school 2) undergraduate degree 3) professional degree 4) work force...etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you currently doing something related to African American women and hair?

You're right Tiashauntee! Mine is related to Hair Care Product Advertising...I'll post my results in May.
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 3:08 pm

MsCrystal wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:

You're right Tiashauntee! Mine is related to Hair Care Product Advertising...I'll post my results in May.

I'm looking for to it. I really think that it's time for more research in this area. I feel that it's serious lacking and some of us may pay the consequence for that in the future.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 19th April 2010, 3:13 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
MsCrystal wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:

I'm looking for to it. I really think that it's time for more research in this area. I feel that it's serious lacking and some of us may pay the consequence for that in the future.

I agree. I have been corresponding with a graduate student who is examining the history of African American hair (History Dept). Two profound African American professors who are in the Department of African American studies told her that she could not study the history of black hair! I was like, "Whaaaaat???"
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 19th April 2010, 3:15 pm

Wow! Why would they say that. I think it's an extremely relevant discussion and definitely worth researching. I hope they let her, because I would love to know the results.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 19th April 2010, 3:37 pm

I know right. She's still doing it though Smile I can't wait to see what your final results say!
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 3:40 pm

MsCrystal wrote:I know right. She's still doing it though Smile I can't wait to see what your final results say!

Keep us posted on her's also. I tried to read up on the history of black hair care but it's a topic that takes time (that I don't have) to really research.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by JNelly 20th April 2010, 2:29 am

I wrote my thesis in undergrad on the sociology of African-American hair. My professor at first gave me the side eye. There are great pictures in the Schomberg Museum in Harlem for research.
JNelly
JNelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 20th April 2010, 2:47 pm

I'm less than a month from graduating with my JD!!! I started transitioning when I started law school, and BCed halfway through 1L. I wanted to go natural before, but I worked for two years between college and law school and was afraid that I wouldn't have the time or knowledge to maintain my hair professionally.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th April 2010, 2:56 pm

Moni wrote:I'm less than a month from graduating with my JD!!! I started transitioning when I started law school, and BCed halfway through 1L. I wanted to go natural before, but I worked for two years between college and law school and was afraid that I wouldn't have the time or knowledge to maintain my hair professionally.

Get it girl! woot!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by MsCrystal 20th April 2010, 3:01 pm

Yes, get it!
MsCrystal
MsCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 11th August 2010, 12:26 am

Hopefully everybody answered truthfully but I'm not surprised by the results.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 11th August 2010, 12:51 am

CurlieCutes1121 wrote:

No, don't think so... I think people just want to see if there is some correlation between natural hair and education. But there are so many other factors to this: location, environment, finances, life experience, etc. These factors played more of a role in my decision to stay natural than my actual education, since 1) my natural hair was embraced by my mother, 2) relaxer maintenance and salon visits add up, and 3) as I've grown, I've learned to appreciate all of me sans changes. I'm sure these factors (and maybe others) influenced other women as well.

That. But I do believe anyone that looks online for hair advice is probably a bit smarter than the one who keeps complaining and it never occurs that the internet may have the answer. And this is probably from an African-American viewpoint and not black women as a whole. I'm not sure if the OP considered that, but the only times I'm encountered AA women it's been online and the majority of black women (African and Carribean) are forgotten. I'm sure if you looked at these places - natural women would not be any smarter - maybe can't afford relaxers and have no education.

It's like if someone made a thread suggesting that nonreligious people were smarter than religious. Many people have observed that athiests have higher degrees. Like that.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2