CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair and Education

+10
Neems
Curly_Aquarius
chscott_77
Butterfly126
MelOhSoDivine
Erica5417
BekkaPoo
tiashaunteé
LaToya28
JNelly
14 posters

Go down

Natural Hair and Education Empty Natural Hair and Education

Post by JNelly 16th April 2010, 12:52 pm

Hey ladies,

This question is not to insult anyone that does not have a college degree, but i was wondering if you think there is a link bewteen natural hair and level of education? I am currently in grad school and we had a town hall meeting at out school. I was just surveying the room and saw so many natural ladies. Some had twa's some had twists and others had locks. Do you find that there is a link between the two or maybe it's just my imagination.
JNelly
JNelly

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair and Education Empty Re: Natural Hair and Education

Post by LaToya28 16th April 2010, 1:14 pm

I don't think it's your imagination. I remember mentioning this in another thread. It does seem that more affluent or educated blacks are choosing natural hair over chemicals. I think it's all about wanting more in life and improving yourself. If you don't value education which may take you further financially/economically, you're probably not going to educate yourself about your hair either. This is not true in all cases, but overall I think there is some truth to it.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by JNelly 16th April 2010, 1:27 pm

I agree with you LaToya. I especially noticed this when I saw on this site the UNC natural hair organization. Also when you read a lot of transition stories, many of them being when women are in college. I find interesting how education can effect other areas of your life besides the obvious ones. Doesn't make me feel to bad about all of my student loans Smile
JNelly
JNelly

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th April 2010, 2:13 pm

I've noticed that also. If I am in a setting with a group of highly educated women, there have always been more natural heads in the room. It is an interesting observation - it would be nice to see the results of a survey among all natural women and their level of education.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 16th April 2010, 3:00 pm

I have no degrees, but I'm an (almost) lifelong natural. I had a perm phase from age 12-15.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 16th April 2010, 3:04 pm

Check out the thread where the sistas are introducing themselves. I remember when first reading I noticed the large number of students and college graduates. I think education (formal or informal) plays a role in terms of being willing to step outside of the box or being made aware of certain things you may not otherwise have considered. Of course, there are plenty of women who go natural that have never attended college but I'm sure you will find a certain level of awareness among those women.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th April 2010, 3:15 pm

BekkaPoo wrote:I have no degrees, but I'm an (almost) lifelong natural. I had a perm phase from age 12-15.

Exactly, this kind of diversity is why I would like to see a formal survey (don't know who would do it). No assumptions will always apply to all. But based on observation there is a high number of highly education naturals - an "official" count would be interesting.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MelOhSoDivine 16th April 2010, 3:16 pm

I've noticed that since I had my BC, more and more people say "You look smart, I bet you're smart huh?"
MelOhSoDivine
MelOhSoDivine

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly126 16th April 2010, 3:26 pm

I also agree with LaToya28. My older cousin cut off all her hair and went natural while she was in college, she recently graduated with a business degree and is more confident with natural hair. I have noticed a lot of successful women with natural hair. Actually when I think about it, I think that all of the black female professors and administrators at my school are natural!
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by chscott_77 16th April 2010, 3:53 pm

I would have to agree with everyone about the level of education being linked to natural hair. From my own personal experience, I will say that after returning to grad school, I notice more women with college degrees with natural hair and/or healthy life styles. I also know women without a college degree with natural hair but I know more women with a college degree and natural hair. I started to inform myself about my diet and natural hair care because I became so concerned about the toxic chemicals in every product that I used. I guess I started to educate myself more as my level of education increased. I work in an area where I see many professional black women who are natural.
chscott_77
chscott_77

http://chscott77.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 16th April 2010, 3:54 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
BekkaPoo wrote:I have no degrees, but I'm an (almost) lifelong natural. I had a perm phase from age 12-15.

Exactly, this kind of diversity is why I would like to see a formal survey (don't know who would do it). No assumptions will always apply to all. But based on observation there is a high number of highly education naturals - an "official" count would be interesting.

This could be a job for a Essence Mag or someone with the resources to reach millions of people. Maybe Curly Nikki could do one too, informally on the main site.

Also I'm thinking a lot of ladies were pressured or had no choice but to get relaxers while they were under their parents care. The ones who were able to go to college and getting their first taste of freedom may have also decided to see what was going on with their own natural hair, sometimes without the knowledge of their parents/family. I was never pressured to relax, so I got into that mess on my own..lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 16th April 2010, 4:10 pm

I'm in the phase of completing my degree, But I always wanted to be different from others and I felt by doing that I have to be 100% myself that is why I became natural.
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 16th April 2010, 5:24 pm

I've wondered this too. I've been working in the professional world for less than six months and it seems that I run into more natural women that have degress. Now, their hairstyles range from bald all the way to waist length dreds.

I think education does play a factor in a person's decision to go natural. In college you get exposed to a variety of ideas and one them is being aware of what you put into or on your body. Now, you don't need to be in college to know this, but it's just more obvious in the academic setting. Everyone doesn't follow it but most people are aware of it. Personally, I embraced my natural hair in college because it was easier to get away with "not combing your hair" as my grandmother would say and not to be constantly nagged by people addicted to the relaxer. It probably helped that I was at predominently white school and my hair was considered "cool," lol.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JNelly 16th April 2010, 6:27 pm

You ladies have definitely give me more food for thougth. I think someone should do a survey. Curly Nikki are reading this? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JNelly
JNelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 16th April 2010, 6:58 pm

Y'all can always add a poll to this thread. It may not reach the entire curlynikki audience but it's a start...
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by JNelly 16th April 2010, 7:12 pm

That's a good idea Juices, but I am a forum novice. Can anyone tell me how to post a poll?
JNelly
JNelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 16th April 2010, 7:18 pm

I can make a new thread with the poll tonight if u like.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by JNelly 16th April 2010, 7:32 pm

That would be great Juices ! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] That's me doing my happy dance !
JNelly
JNelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 16th April 2010, 8:42 pm

I created the thread. It's called Natural Hair and Education Poll. Here's the link:

Natural Hair and Education Poll
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 17th April 2010, 3:06 am

I can't remember where, but I remember reading about it...there is a correlation.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 17th April 2010, 5:18 am

Well I just answered Juices-N-Berries thread with the poll which was a great idea! I honestly kinda went through a pre-midlife crisis. I looked at my life and was like where do I go from here? I felt so unaccomplished because I never finished my degree. My friend told me that she felt I was accomplished because I have the Husband, kids, house, cars, and even a dog. She said the only thing I was missing was the white picket fence. She is single but she has a degree. But yet I felt so incomplete. I started back with school in August as I was transitioning and BCd in September. Once I BCd I felt like my heart,mind, and eyes opened up to a new adventure and school was my first challenge to conquer. I am still in school and loving it!!

As for other curlies:

I can say my church is FULL of naturals and they are a lot that are educated with their own business and or working in the field of their education. Even the ones that do not have a college degree have their own business. We are artist, musicians, singers, poets. I just started attending but have not officially joined, but we love the vibe and it is a great networking circle for my future business venture. This thread is really a blessing and really let me know to work harder and stay on track..
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 17th April 2010, 9:44 am

I don't have a degree, and the relaxer WAS forced on me when I was about 12. College right out of high school wasn't an option because of money (insert resentments against parents HERE). So after some time in the military, I gave it a try when I came home. Things...didn't go so well and I had to drop out. And because my situation is so bad I'm not sure I can get financial aid anymore. I can't even get my transcripts. But what hurts the most is knowing that I can't even begin to finish what I started (not even PART TIME classes) until my debt goes down more. Sad
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 17th April 2010, 12:51 pm

@Mika My friend had the same problem. He'd exhausted financial aid and couldn't get transcripts from the school because he owed them. I'm not sure how far along you are. But maybe you can take some of your basic courses at a community college in your area. They weren't expensive and you usually don't need transcripts to take the classes. He did that until he could pay the old school back and then transferred. Now he goes to the Art Institute.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down