CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning Tricks

+5
DivinelyDesigned
transitionsista
Treece
HAMPTONSFNST
Ms.Fenty
9 posters

Go down

Transitioning Tricks Empty Transitioning Tricks

Post by Ms.Fenty 7th April 2010, 11:19 pm

I usually cornbraid (cornrow...w/e you like to call it) 1/3 of the way and plait the rest, which gives me decent definition close to the root without having to cornbraid straight back (this takes longer and is more difficult; tangles etc). Over the weekend I did one cornbraid straight across my hairline in the front as close to my forehead as possible and I got really good definition, so now I don't feel obligated to pull my hair as tight and gel it down.

So any of you ladies learned any tricks to help blend your two textures better?

I would post pics but Idk how to, I tried but it didn't really work

Last edited by Ms.Fenty on 7th April 2010, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tried to post pic, failed : ()
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Tricks Empty Re: Transitioning Tricks

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th April 2010, 10:56 am

During my long transition I just wore twisted bantu knotouts to blend the textures. I had only about 1-1.5 inches left of permed hair so this style really helped me achieve the look I was going for.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 8th April 2010, 11:46 am

I wrap my hair after a wash and it helps stretch my roots. I also do twist outs which takes the emphasis off of my roots, and bantu knot outs are wonderful. And headbands or headbands and gel are fantastic for smoothing my edges. ^-^
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by transitionsista 17th April 2010, 5:58 am

Do you have to chop your hair (whether big or mini) in order to grow out your relaxer?

transitionsista

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 17th April 2010, 10:31 am

Elizabeth: No you do not, there are some women who transition long term, trimming every so often. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by transitionsista 17th April 2010, 11:19 am

Thanks. That's good to know. I had the "Rihanna" cut and decided that when my hair started growing I would just let it grow relaxer free. I am hoping that my transition wont be as bad as I am expecting it to be since I did not have long flowing relaxed hair. How often do you recommend that I cut it? Should I tell my stylist to cut the relaxed part a little at a time? Any suggestions? Thanks for the info.

transitionsista

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 17th April 2010, 12:25 pm

It should be up to you how often you cut. Once a month may be quick, but since hair only grows 1/4-1/2 inch a month (on average), You may be cutting off hair too quickly for YOU. So whenever you're ready to cut off about an inch or more just head to the stylist and show her how much you want cut off...I'd be careful of who you go to...Not to scare you but I've heard stories from women who got the B/C when they did not ask for it. SO make sure she's trusted or if not, watch to see how much she cuts if you can. Smile

Good luck, and you're welcome.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by DivinelyDesigned 17th April 2010, 1:42 pm

For me months, 1-6 were a breeze. But boy oh boy after that...my new growth starting taking over and no matter what style I tried, it looked a hot mess! lol So I decided to keep it covered with halfwigs (never ever been a weave/wig kinda girl, so I even shocked myself) So now, I'm in month 8 of a minimum 3 year transition and I couldn't be happier. So my trick is to keep my hair conditioned, moisturized, cornrowed and hidden until my transition journey is complete.
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

Post by Blex 18th April 2010, 3:35 am

Im fighting to get out of the same Rihanna cut!! Im 3 1/2 months in and i am honestly dying and wanting to just slap a perm in it!! But i visit this site and watch YouTube vids everyday to keep me motivated. I've been doing bantu knots and roller sets with the small wave rods/perm rods. I'm finally able to make a ponytail but its pretty short so I only do that when im short on time or working out.
Blex
Blex

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 19th April 2010, 4:48 pm

DivinelyDesigned wrote:For me months, 1-6 were a breeze. But boy oh boy after that...my new growth starting taking over and no matter what style I tried, it looked a hot mess! lol So I decided to keep it covered with halfwigs (never ever been a weave/wig kinda girl, so I even shocked myself) So now, I'm in month 8 of a minimum 3 year transition and I couldn't be happier. So my trick is to keep my hair conditioned, moisturized, cornrowed and hidden until my transition journey is complete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Wow bless you girl! I don't think I could make it that long. I took my kinky twists out yesterday to wash and redo them and I'm ready to chop my hair like...NOW but I promised myself I would wait. I've never been a weave girl either so the fact that I put these twists in MYSELF is very surprising to me.
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miki 22nd April 2010, 8:17 pm

DivinelyDesigned wrote:For me months, 1-6 were a breeze. But boy oh boy after that...my new growth starting taking over and no matter what style I tried, it looked a hot mess! lol So I decided to keep it covered with halfwigs (never ever been a weave/wig kinda girl, so I even shocked myself) So now, I'm in month 8 of a minimum 3 year transition and I couldn't be happier. So my trick is to keep my hair conditioned, moisturized, cornrowed and hidden until my transition journey is complete.

Yes, Half-wigs have saved my life! I work two jobs and go to school full time so me and twist/braid/bantu knot outs broke up a loong time ago. If it wasnt for "muffinsimylovers" on youtube I wouldve probably bc'ed by now.

All i do now is wash, deep condition and braid it up under my half wig and im finally starting to see some REAL growth!
Miki
Miki

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 22nd April 2010, 9:33 pm

Honestly, when I stretch my roots it's really hard to tell the difference. LOL. My favorite way to stretch is the banding method as seen here. The only downside is it takes forever and a day to dry.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down