CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Term Questions!

3 posters

Go down

Long Term Questions! Empty Long Term Questions!

Post by BeautifullyMehh 30th June 2010, 12:04 pm

If you can answer some of these please do. I feel lost & stupid. Lol.

1. Where can I buy oils at? [like... jojoba, etc...]
2. Where did you get your spray bottle at? [my $1 one from Walmart sucks. Very Happy]
3. How do you moisturize your hair?
4. What are your must have products and why?
5. Whats your regimen? [I need one badd]
6. Have you ever did braids during transitioning?
7. What is your staple style and how do you accomplish it?
8. How do you co-wash?
9. How often do you shampoo?
10. Can someone explain hairtypes?

I know I asked alot... Sorry, I just really would like to know from anyone who is experienced, all natural, or is great at their transition methods! Smile Thanks in advance.
BeautifullyMehh
BeautifullyMehh

Back to top Go down

Long Term Questions! Empty Re: Long Term Questions!

Post by Treece 30th June 2010, 12:35 pm

Hi there! Hope my answers help you a bit.

1. Where can I buy oils at? [like... jojoba, etc...] Online, at beauty shops (some), or at Whole Food Stores/Organic shops -I.E. Whole Food Market-I haven't bought any of these oils yet though. When purchasing Essential Oils, they need to be diluted if you are going to use them on your body this includes hair because it is in contact with your scalp, Jojoba is not an essential oil though.. http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/dilutingessentialoils.asp
http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/whatcarr.asp

2. Where did you get your spray bottle at? [my $1 one from Walmart sucks. ] I got it from a beauty supply shop, it's not a well known shop, but I saw various ones at Sally's, you can try there.

3. How do you moisturize your hair? I use Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 and just apply it throughout my hair. If I'm styling it, each strand gets more attention.

4. What are your must have products and why? Hawaiian Silky because it's the only moisturizer I have atm lol. Organix shea butter because it tames my frizzy hair. Palmer's Coconut Oil because it's my backup. And Smooth n Shine Gel because w/o it I would look a hot mess at work. I do plan on trying my hand at making my own products, so I that I know and understand all my own ingredients, and plus I think it'd be fun.

5. Whats your regimen? [I need one badd] I honestly don't have one anymore. I do to the extent that I have specific products that I use (that are mentioned), but telling myself I have to do these things, in this order, at this time, stresses me out. So...I do it whenever pretty much lmao.

6. Have you ever did braids during transitioning? Yes, but just for a braid out. I've cornrowed my hair which makes my hair curly/wavy all the way to the root, isntead of parting and braiding, if that makes sense. But I've never got my whole head braided to wear out as a style during my transition, though I would like to.

7. What is your staple style and how do you accomplish it? Braid outs, as mentioned above, and twist outs. Bantu-knot outs used to be my favorite, but I like the results of braid outs the most. I either braid, twist or cornrow, on wet hair. I start by applying Hawaiian Silky, then an oil -Coconut, or Organix Shea Butter- and then style. Smile Then when it's dry I take it all out. But on me these styles don't last long, so I guess pulling my hair back with a head band and letting the ends hang out is the other staple style...but it's not much of a style really.

8. How do you co-wash? I don't co-wash for the same reasons as other people but I guess that doesn't matter. Razz All I do is wet my hair, apply cond., comb out with a wide-tooth comb or fingers, and rinse.

9. How often do you shampoo? Once a week. If it's flat-ironed, it's two weeks, but that does not happen often.

10. Can someone explain hairtypes? IMO Hairtyping is difficult and annoying, and it's not that essential. The hair types range from 1a (bone straight) to 4b which is kinky. Some even use, 4c, or 4z. There's also subtypes to 3b hair that has been added. See how this gets confusing? Not to mention, some people, especially type 3's have more than one hair type. Most people go by Andre Walker's book, and the subtypes to 3b hair, type 4c/z, etc, are not in his book. The other way to type is L.O.I.S. which I'd rather not get into, plus I don't think it's as common as Andre Walker's typing system.

On top of all this, you won't know your hair texture until your all natural. Though you could probably be very accurate right now if you have more than 4 inches of new growth. If you B/C your hair type will change because it won't have the weight of extra hair, but as your hair grows back out, it may again change as in the curls will be slightly looser, or it may not. I believe the kinkier your hair is the less chance of it taking on a new appearance since it's very tightly coiled. But, I don't really know so take that comment with a grain of salt. Razz Here's a good starting point if you're interested in typing your hair. Smile http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

Again, I hope this helps. Smile

Last edited by Treece on 30th June 2010, 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added more info)
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 30th June 2010, 12:41 pm

Good morning Beutifullymehh,

Any questions you may have concerning the health of your hair are never stupid. Those more experienced or educated about natural hair and the transitioning process are here to help you.

1. All your oils can be purchased at your local health food store to ensure the authenticity of the oil. You may be able to find others at a BSS store but I can't verify the purity of these oils.

2. Spray bottles or applicator bottles can be purchased wherever hair supplies are sold. I purchased mine from Sally's and my local BSS.

3. During this journey you will discover that the best moisturizers are water-soluble products such as conditioners, leave-in conditioners and other products whose first ingredient is water. I started with curl activator sprays but created my own mix with H2O, glycerin(best used in warmer months/climates), conditioner and oils.

4. My must have products are my unrefined shea butter, oils (tea tree, peppermint, EVOO, jojoba, castor) and a good conditioner for detangling like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I need the first products for sealing any moisture that's in my hair and the conditioner is a charm for detangling.

5. You will eventually develop a regimen that works best for you. I cowash with HEHH or any other effective yet cheap conditioner. I moisturize with my Giovanni Direct Leave-in or Aloe Vera Jelly and I seal with any oil or natural butter of my choice. When needed I DC but not as often as I should or I baggy overnight with EVOO and conditioner.

6. I was a long term transitioner and wore weaves to help me with this process. I removed each install every 6 wks followed by both protein and deep conditioning treatments and trims before the next install. My perimeter was never braided and I opted to wear curly hair during my last install to for the purpose of easy blending. Just make sure your braider does NOT braid too tightly and that you moisturize your strands regularly to minimize breakage.

7. My staple styles are bantu knotouts, bantus, and TNCs. On freshly cowashed hair I twist my hair sealing with an oil and set the twist on gray perm rods. After I remove the twists, the following night I preserve the curl with bantu knots.

8. It's best to cowash in sections, so I makes about 4-6 twists to cowash or shampoo individually and to also detangle. This is so much easier and less time consuming.

9. I shampoo once a month with Giovanni's Tea Trea Tingling shampoo and I cowash at least twice a week.

10. If you're interested in typing your hair you can do a search within this website or Google "hair typing". The category ranges from 1-4 with subcats of a-c. Check this site for more helpful tips: www.growafrohairlong.com It was very beneficial to beginning my journey.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyMehh 30th June 2010, 3:16 pm

@Treece.... Thanks so much for all that. I have to agree about the whole hair type thing. Its so confusing; but I hope to understand it eventually. I never heard of Hawaiian Silky. I will keep everything you said in mind Smile

@Hampton... I never been to a health food store before. I will have to check that out. I have HEHH for my Co-wash and Giovanni's leave in so that's great to hear someone who uses the same thing. I was told recentlly to do the whole sectioning thing so I am definitly going to do that next time because my hair has been shedding like crazy. Thanks for everything and i'll make sure I check that website out.
BeautifullyMehh
BeautifullyMehh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down