CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How have you changed since being natural?

+17
ablockle
NaturalMamacita
cassadie3
NubieNatty
DvaAuNaturel
Koily_K-Lo
raina
kinksncurls
sweetdrk1
CurlsGalore
Karyn
LaToya28
jamaicanmecurly
jlowman1
Juices-n-Berries
MelOhSoDivine
lumii
21 posters

Go down

How have you changed since being natural? Empty How have you changed since being natural?

Post by lumii 23rd March 2010, 3:24 pm

I've been natural for a while but I was always ashamed of showing my natural hair, so I always had braids and weaves and all that stuff..
Even though my hair is still short, I now where it without any weaves or extensions and
I noticed that since I've been natural, I feel more confident.
I just wanted to know if it's just me or if other curlies feel the same way
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

How have you changed since being natural? Empty Re: How have you changed since being natural?

Post by MelOhSoDivine 23rd March 2010, 3:27 pm

I'm way more confident.For one I LOVE my hair and as rude as it may sound I think it looks better than any relaxed females lol. 
MelOhSoDivine
MelOhSoDivine

Back to top Go down

How have you changed since being natural? Empty Re: How have you changed since being natural?

Post by Juices-n-Berries 23rd March 2010, 3:29 pm

DEFINITELY. Since I've been natural I'm alot more confident in myself as is. I originally thought I was pile on makeup and accessories. But I think sometimes that can be distracting. I actually wear less makeup than when I was relaxed. And I used to be a weave queen. It can be addicting like Solange said. Like, when I didn't have in my weave, I didn't feel up to par. But I think that's also because I didn't really care for the way my relaxed hair looked too. Nonetheless, I'm learning to love myself without all the extras. God knew what He was doing when he made me.

It's so good that you decided to go natural at such a young age. I wasn't even thinking or caring about my hair at 15. Lol.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 23rd March 2010, 4:10 pm

Im waaaaay more confident and not quite as shy as I was (thats still a work in progress). Im much more comfortable in my skin now. I've always been really self conscious about my nose but having a twa my features stick out even more and I have embraced it to the tenth power. Its what God gave me and Im working it! lol

Im not one that loves attention but I love the fact that I stick out in the crowd. I was in Panama City for Spring Break this past week and I got sooo many compliments that I was "working my short curly hair", so that felt really good!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 23rd March 2010, 6:26 pm

It's so weird b/c I was dreading the idea of going natural... because I didn't think it would look "pretty" on me... and I am WAY MORE confident now than I have ever been. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 24th March 2010, 7:12 pm

I agree with all of you ladies. It's certainly a confidence booster because I'm no longer relying on hair to make me beautiful. I'm exposed and there's nothing for me to hide behind. I don't blend in anymore. I feel unique.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 24th March 2010, 8:06 pm

I haven't lol. Maybe it's cause I didn't BC and rock a TWA, but I'm still the same Karyn. I've technically been natural since the seventh grade, but only started taking care of my hair. Maybe I'll cut my hair one day to experience the boost of confidence, but for now I'm good (plus, my nose and head is too big for that LOL).
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 24th March 2010, 8:21 pm

Since going natural:
Swag is sexier
Skin is thicker
Glow is brighter
Spirit is happier

The journey has been amazing!!!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 24th March 2010, 8:54 pm

CurlsGalore wrote:Since going natural:
Swag is sexier
Skin is thicker
Glow is brighter
Spirit is happier

go head!!! I love it! THat avatar is beautiful!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 24th March 2010, 11:08 pm

Thanks, Sweet!!! Your hair friggin' fab! Loving those curls!!!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 24th March 2010, 11:20 pm

Yes I've learned to care less about what other people think, and more about what I think. I big chopped last month so i'm still learning a lot. People also didn't make as big of a deal as I thought they would, and I feel more free.
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 25th March 2010, 12:56 am

I have come to a place of peace about my hair, I dont stress about it anymore. I accept it the way that it is, for example the other day I pulled it back but it was fuzzy around the front. Now there was a time when I would have been late for work trying to get it to lay down I tried lol but it wouldnt do what I wanted it to. I put a thin headband on and went to work not worried about a thang!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 27th March 2010, 12:06 am

OMG!!!!! Before I was a mess..... Now I'm just a HOT MESS!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My Sexy is Sexier.......My Fierce is Fiercer.......My Swag is Swaggier..... My Hot Mess is Hotter & Messier........

Good Goodness Gracious....... You can't tell me NOTHING!!!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 27th March 2010, 12:14 am

@Koily_K-Lo, I know that's right. LOL

I feel more myself with my natural hair. Nothing is hidden. I was wearing weaves and was paranoid about it looking "fake". Duh!? It was fake, who was I fooling.

WYSIWYG..what you see is what you get and as Maya Angelou says, "Now that I know better, I do better".

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 27th March 2010, 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit typo)
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Koily_K-Lo 27th March 2010, 9:34 am

@DvaAuNaturel.... Now you're quoting my Girl!!! Maya Angelou is where it's at...... Keeps it real, keeps it live, and just plain old KEEPS IT!!!
Koily_K-Lo
Koily_K-Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 27th March 2010, 10:10 am

**singing to kanye** Naaaah-Nah-Nah-Nah wait til i get my afro right...naaah-nah-nah-nah then u cant tell me nothing right!!

definitely my swag has been upgraded and i loves it!! i was just sayin yesterday how i love the free-ness of wakin up and doin jack shizzle to my hair. omg!! i wish i wouldve went natural sooner cuz im havin a blast!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 28th March 2010, 2:24 pm

lol at all of you ladies! Y ou speak the truth! looooove being free!
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 28th March 2010, 3:20 pm

Interestingly enough, without a relaxer, I'm more relaxed! I dont have to worry about getting my hair wet or having to sleep on my hands to keep a style or all the money to spend on chemical treatments.

Also---I've changed in that I'm now way more aware of ALL types of products I'm using not just for my hair, but for my body. Natural from my hair follicles down to my toes!
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalMamacita 30th March 2010, 6:04 pm

CurlsGalore wrote:Since going natural:
Swag is sexier
Skin is thicker
Glow is brighter
Spirit is happier

I agree...couldn't say it any better!! Very Happy
NaturalMamacita
NaturalMamacita

Back to top Go down

Post by ablockle 1st April 2010, 1:47 pm

Since I have been natural I can honestly say this is the first time that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my hair!!!!

ablockle

http://www.naturalnesessites.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 1st April 2010, 9:38 pm

cassadie3 wrote:Interestingly enough, without a relaxer, I'm more relaxed! I dont have to worry about getting my hair wet or having to sleep on my hands to keep a style or all the money to spend on chemical treatments.

Also---I've changed in that I'm now way more aware of ALL types of products I'm using not just for my hair, but for my body. Natural from my hair follicles down to my toes!

Me too! And I remember sleeping on my hands! LOLK
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 1st April 2010, 10:28 pm

I'm inspired by my hair. It may sound weird, but after years of it going through hell from my hair combing it, putting heat on it, and putting harsh chemicals. It is now growing healthier than it ever has making me feel inspired to grow in other ways.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 3rd April 2010, 10:20 pm

I haven't changed, but instead of my hair defining how I felt that day (bad hair day, bad day) my hair hair works with me not that I'm not fighting it, trying to make it do something it does not want to do (get straight). The things I was always aspiring to come naturally now. I don't run from humididty and rain, split ends are a thing of the past, and bad hair days are few to none. I just wish I'd never relaxed in the first place.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th April 2010, 12:58 am

naturallydestined wrote:
cassadie3 wrote:Interestingly enough, without a relaxer, I'm more relaxed! I dont have to worry about getting my hair wet or having to sleep on my hands to keep a style or all the money to spend on chemical treatments.

Me too! And I remember sleeping on my hands! LOLK
Me three! I am more aware of what I use on my body and ingest. I read the labels on nearly everything. Wearing my natural hair has led me to reassess who I am, and my purpose.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 4th April 2010, 1:08 am

cassadie3 wrote:

I guess this could be a part of my change, but I think it's cause I'm a natural vegetarian almost vegan that I am CONSTANTLY looking up ingredients to everything. I always did read the labels, but I think it's more excessive now.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down