CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Discussions

+35
CurlyCoCo
Iomer
MsJay1121
Curly_Aquarius
ChrsLvsBks
deeply_rooted_chick
RinnyU
BeautifullyFree
DvaAuNaturel
NubieNatty
CrissyQ
SheeTacular
snappynappy
LadyMika
Mz. Thang
drksista81
AdriEm
AfrikanLatina
MahoganyCurls
sweetdrk1
Erica5417
Janique
Spiralos
transitioning?
bholmes87
lexibugg004
TMS
lumii
popsbaby
tiashaunteé
Muz
Juices-n-Berries
LaToya28
Karyn
Cherry: extraordinary!
39 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Random Discussions - Page 4 Empty Re: Random Discussions

Post by snappynappy 19th April 2010, 4:37 pm

Cherry: extraordinary! wrote:
Let's say your taking a poll on different races. Let's also say that you have a black parent and a white parent. What do you check? Black? White? Multiracial? Now lets say you have a white parent and a half black/ half white parent. Black? White? Multiracial? What if one of your grandparents are half white/ half black, the other is white, they had a child (one of your parents) who had a child (you) with a white. Black? White? Biracial? Do we check the box based on our genes or just the way we think of ourselves? (the reason i ask-->click please)

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Interesting question, I asked my sons, 19 & 17, this some time ago. They said they check African American on forms. Their father is Hispanic. I asked them why, and they said they identify with the African American heritage more. I find that interesting since their dad has been and is a part of their lives. I guess it is because their dad listens to ethnic music and has an African American wife. I told my sons to check all that apply especially if it will help them attain a scholarship, grant, etc. They should not deny one race, IMO.

LOL at "Put a hoodie on him and have him walk down an alley, and see how biracial he is then," said McDowell, vice president of communications for the NAACP."

My thoughts exactly. I would consider any child that comes out of me to be black, regardless of what they are mixed with becuase that is how society will see them, that is the history I will teach them. Technically I am mixed through my mothers side but I claim black becuase that is what society will see me as. That is what society will see my future children as (unless they take after my mom and FH and come out with red hair,freckles and pale skin [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) and to pretend that race as a social construct doesnt exist is to be pathetically naive.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 19th April 2010, 8:08 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
Juices-n-Berries wrote:In my opinion, and not to open a can of worms... but I think the whole concept of race should be done away with altogether. What does it really mean anyway. Black people aren't really black and white people aren't really white. Nobody is all anything anymore. I consider myself mixed too and both my parents are what you would call "black". However, my dad is African and my mom is black. And I consider those two different things. Now as ridiculous as that sounds, do you see how ridiculous these things can really get if you really wanna get technical??? The US is the only country that seems to make these distinctions. In other places, you are identified by your origin, ethnicity, tribe, or even just the country itself regardless of color. I think that until we eliminate the concept of race, we cannot eliminate racism.

Breaks out into MJ "If you're thinkin bout my baby, It don't matter if you're black or white!" I love that video btw...

Actually I agree with you. Everyone is so mixed up that box should just be labeled "human"

However, the health professional side of me understands the importance of race. Know your racial background helps with the identification of some illnesses that one may be suffering from. There are a number of disease that predominantly affect certain races.

I agree with you on the health issue. But that's why I said my problem was with race but not ethnicity. For example, to classify black as one thing is honestly not specific enough. For example, what about Africans that were born in Africa who come over to America. They may not suffer from the same diseases and condtions as African Americans. African American culture is very different than African culture. Just as I am sure Irish culture is different from German culture. But yet, the only options those people have to check is black or white. Hispanics and Asians actually have those options this time. They were the only ones that was broken down into Dominican, Puerto Rican, Mexican, East Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. But of course, I wouldn't suggest making it even more divisive. I'm just pointing out the flaws with classifications based on a color and not a background.

Last edited by Juices-n-Berries on 19th April 2010, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 19th April 2010, 8:14 pm

snappynappy wrote:
Let's say your taking a poll on different races. Let's also say that you have a black parent and a white parent. What do you check? Black? White? Multiracial? Now lets say you have a white parent and a half black/ half white parent. Black? White? Multiracial? What if one of your grandparents are half white/ half black, the other is white, they had a child (one of your parents) who had a child (you) with a white. Black? White? Biracial? Do we check the box based on our genes or just the way we think of ourselves? (the reason i ask-->click please)

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Interesting question, I asked my sons, 19 & 17, this some time ago. They said they check African American on forms. Their father is Hispanic. I asked them why, and they said they identify with the African American heritage more. I find that interesting since their dad has been and is a part of their lives. I guess it is because their dad listens to ethnic music and has an African American wife. I told my sons to check all that apply especially if it will help them attain a scholarship, grant, etc. They should not deny one race, IMO.

LOL at "Put a hoodie on him and have him walk down an alley, and see how biracial he is then," said McDowell, vice president of communications for the NAACP."

My thoughts exactly. I would consider any child that comes out of me to be black, regardless of what they are mixed with becuase that is how society will see them, that is the history I will teach them. Technically I am mixed through my mothers side but I claim black becuase that is what society will see me as. That is what society will see my future children as (unless they take after my mom and FH and come out with red hair,freckles and pale skin [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) and to pretend that race as a social construct doesnt exist is to be pathetically naive.

Race is a social construct. But that's ALL it is. Genetically, it has not proven to make since. At the end of the day, we all have the same chromosomes. And the amount of melanin produced, eye color, or even hair texture, can very regardless of whether someone is "black" or "white".
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by transitioning? 19th April 2010, 10:33 pm

ITA with race being a social construct. It was actually created after the USA gained its independence to justify slavery. In my experience many people use the term "black" to mean African American and don't realize that it only refers to your skin tone and not nationality.

Not directly related but I have a question for you ladies. Do you think the term black or the term African American is better to describe American descendants of African slaves? All can answer this question no your matter race.

I personally don't like to be called African American because my nationality is American.
transitioning?
transitioning?

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 19th April 2010, 10:43 pm

transitioning? wrote:ITA with race being a social construct. It was actually created after the USA gained its independence to justify slavery. In my experience many people use the term "black" to mean African American and don't realize that it only refers to your skin tone and not nationality.

Not directly related but I have a question for you ladies. Do you think the term black or the term African American is better to describe American descendants of African slaves? All can answer this question no your matter race.

I personally don't like to be called African American because my nationality is American.

I agree with you. I am most definitely not from Africa and don't know anyone in my family that is. So, why would I be called African American? To me, an African American is someone that was born and lived and Africa, but then moved to America and has lived here for the majority of his/her life. Or if both of your parents are from Africa and decided to move to America before or right after you were born or something like that.

My family has been living in America for a longggggggggggggggg time and I don't really feel any real connection to Africa besides the decorations at my grandmothers house haha. I'm black and that's all there is to it.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by transitioning? 19th April 2010, 10:48 pm

haha. ITA. Most people I speak to look at me like I'm crazy when I say this. Like I'm not proud of my heritage or something but the truth is I'm very proud of my heritage with is mixed just like our country's culture.
transitioning?
transitioning?

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 20th April 2010, 12:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dont even know how to respond to this craziness. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not trying to start an uproar, just wondering, what is your opinion on this?
I feel like some one hurt her feelings BAD about the way she is, because she kept using "you" as if she was talking to a specific person. It seems like she had a bad experience with a natural and immediately generalized that all naturals are like that. And that all naturals are afrocentric, which isn't the case AT ALL, in any way, shape, or form.

The amount of ignorance in this vid negates all of the good points she might have made. It seems to me like a heaping load of crap with hypocrisy, stupidity, and just plain ignorance thrown in as sprinkles.
She seems like she's kinda insane too. Maybe it's just the way she talks... I dunno.

She show clear disdain for herself and her own choices. And then she goes on to further prove her stupidity by saying that her "weve" isn't a white person's but an indian person's, although last time I checked they both have the same type of hair (round shaft, A.K.A straight).
I think her main argument is that napturality = afrocentrism or being "more black"
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 20th April 2010, 12:53 am

transitioning? wrote:ITA with race being a social construct. It was actually created after the USA gained its independence to justify slavery. In my experience many people use the term "black" to mean African American and don't realize that it only refers to your skin tone and not nationality.

Call me black, call me AA, just dont call me the N word.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 20th April 2010, 1:16 am

I took the article seriously until about this sentence
"Exhibit A is President Barack Obama. He declined to check the box for "white" on his census form, despite his mother's well-known whiteness."

The use of "whiteness" in this part mad me laugh hysterically for a couple minutes, and every time I tried to start reading again in my peripheral vision I was "his mother's well-known whiteness"
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! lol!

But then the article was redeemed when Morgan Freeman's voice said in my head
"The system is breaking down, and I hope it continues to break down. Because when it fully breaks down, we'll start to measure people by the content of their hearts."
lol! that's me, anyways. Very Happy
Iomer
Iomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 20th April 2010, 1:28 am

I prefer to be called black because I really don't know about a large part of my history related to my ancestors that were enslaved. I know that they came from North Africa (possibly Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, Mali that area). But of my 'fairer skinned ancestors, I know SOO much more; I know that I am Welsh, French Creole, Creole, and Native American etc. I think with that low level of clarity I prefer black, based on the way I look.

American would be ideal Wink
Iomer
Iomer

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyCoCo 23rd April 2010, 1:58 am

About the first video: Whoa! She says she notices that most of us "naturals" are dating white people. LMFAO! Therefore "we" are less black? I know many naturals that are with black men, but what in the hell does that matter?! My children are half white, but when I met their father I was rockin' the weaves--shoot I was spending whole paychecks on my His and Hers hair. I love my skin, I love hair, and trust me regardless of what color my boyfriend happens to be I LOVE ME SOME CHOCOLATE MEN!!!!! I am so tired of people judging me and others who like people of all races. She likes variety in her hair styles, I like variety in my men. It was women like her who made me ashamed to wear my hair natural and be free.
CurlyCoCo
CurlyCoCo

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Felice 26th April 2010, 5:56 am

I don't know if anyone's posted this link yet, I haven't read through all the replies for this topic, but this is the most appopriate response so far I've found to the first video posted. She says all that needs to be said I think.
http://hair.afroglitzmag.com/so-called-natural-women/
I myself only made it a few minutes before stopping the video. I don't need to be putting her crap into my brain. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just my 2cents on some of the things I've read here. The term African American really irks me. Same as Puerto Rican-American, Italian American....
I think what people fail to realise is that these are nationalities not races. End of story. There is no possible way you can be both African and American. They are both nationalites.
I swear...when some one tells me they're Puerto Rican or Irish, but I know damned well they're American, they definately drop down a couple points in intelligence to me. Better yet, when people are like I'm half Irish or half-Jamaican. How in the hell? Sigh... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The other point I want to raise is that since there is no such thing as a pure race it's safe to say that no one is simply black or white. We're all just..human.
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by opheiliamath 26th April 2010, 11:43 am

I have low tolerance for ignorance. I stopped listening aroudn the 4 minute mark. But what REALLy get me is when she said something to the that we(naturals/Afrocentric) talk "white". Then she said something about dating and we(naturals/Afrpcentric) if we are dating we are dating white men! She should be ashamed of herself.

Why is she clumping all natural women as afrocentric because being natural and afrocentric are two different things.
opheiliamath
opheiliamath

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 27th April 2010, 5:36 pm

SMH what do you guys think about this?
click

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyCoCo 27th April 2010, 5:50 pm

Um, this disturbs me a bit. I don't think this is appropriate for any little child to do. I think young women are sexualized enough in society without their parents condoning acts like this. When did little girls stop being little girls??? This is a mess.
CurlyCoCo
CurlyCoCo

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 27th April 2010, 5:51 pm

click

I can't think of anything to say that won't cause me to have to repent immediately after. This truly makes me sad.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 28th April 2010, 12:32 am

Wow! I mean this is sad, But I have seen some mother laugh and egg on their 3-4 year old daughter(s) while they drop it like its hot. Some parent just don't believe in morals anymore....
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by SighSidhe 28th April 2010, 4:55 am

click

omfg it cannot be unseen [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

also..
does that count as child porn?

Last edited by SighSidhe on 28th April 2010, 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : o_0;;)
SighSidhe
SighSidhe

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th April 2010, 10:00 am

SighSidhe wrote:
click

omfg it cannot be unseen [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

also..
does that count as child porn?

It should
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 29th April 2010, 12:34 pm

ok so this is just a random statement but this topic just made me like this website even more! i love the diversity of topics and opinons and it is just awesome how women can just come together and just talk [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].....but personally doesnt it really matter how one wears their hair? it's just hair after all....and i personally haven't been made fun of because of skin colr nor have i made fun of anyone because of their skin color...anyhoo keep this post going...i like what im reading!
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 29th April 2010, 12:43 pm

i love the avi myeka..gorgeous!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 29th April 2010, 1:02 pm

NubieNatty wrote:i love the avi myeka..gorgeous!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] thanks so much!! i love your earrings tho for real!
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 30th April 2010, 12:04 am

Myeka33: Im glad you feel that way Very Happy and that IS a gorgeous avatar!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 17th May 2010, 11:51 pm

What do you all think about this?
*click*

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 18th May 2010, 12:10 am

Future whores of America [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Their parents were just like "There is nothing sexual about their dance moves" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] They can dance well, but those moves are way too crazy. And why are they even dancing to single ladies?! They're 8 years old!

If you have no life like I do, check this fool out. I watched it a few weeks ago and just wanted to pimp slap him lol
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next