CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Discussions

+35
CurlyCoCo
Iomer
MsJay1121
Curly_Aquarius
ChrsLvsBks
deeply_rooted_chick
RinnyU
BeautifullyFree
DvaAuNaturel
NubieNatty
CrissyQ
SheeTacular
snappynappy
LadyMika
Mz. Thang
drksista81
AdriEm
AfrikanLatina
MahoganyCurls
sweetdrk1
Erica5417
Janique
Spiralos
transitioning?
bholmes87
lexibugg004
TMS
lumii
popsbaby
tiashaunteƩ
Muz
Juices-n-Berries
LaToya28
Karyn
Cherry: extraordinary!
39 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Random Discussions Empty So-Called Naturals

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 23rd March 2010, 3:20 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I dont even know how to respond to this craziness. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not trying to start an uproar, just wondering, what is your opinion on this?

Back to top Go down

Random Discussions Empty Re: Random Discussions

Post by Karyn 23rd March 2010, 3:34 am

Just started watching it, but...she can't even spell weave HAHAHAHAHAHA

To some extent: I do agree with her. But I dunno. I feel like black women/girls are so defensive about everything and ready to judge others SO quickly. I know a lot of females on LHCF wear weaves as protective styles and a lot straighten their hair. I definitely don't feel superior to anyone with a relaxer or a weave. Relaxers and weaves are just not for me. I do, however, feel like I know more about hair care than a lot of other people I know. So, if I think that you aren't taking care of your weaved up hair or relaxed hair, I might suggest you to go natural, but at the end of the day, I could really care less what you do to your hair.

The thing that bugged me the most was when she started ranting about how us "afro-centric naturals" (which, I definitely don't identify myself as afro-centric LOL) always talk like "white girls". Um...so what? Why does it matter? I've been told countless times that I talk and behave like a "white girl" cause I listen to rock music and don't talk in ebonics. The way I speak should NOT reflect my morals, how involved in my culture/history I am, and for you to judge me based on the way I speak and not for what I'm saying is really just petty.

I feel like this is just a new "light skin vs. dark skin" BS arguement that black women (and males too!) are always gonna be overly defensive for no reason. At the end of the day, whether you have relaxed or natural hair, light or dark skin, ALL of our people came off a slave ship. We are all black and for you to judge me in a way that is so ridiculous and over something SO superficial, is really just sad. It's just hair, whether it's glued into your head, chemically altered, or not. It is just hair. Don't get your panties in a bunch cause it will always be just that.

That turned into a rant, I think lol. Oops. I'm interested about what older women have to say about this though.

Ooh, also, I wish she would post more videos. Her opinions are definitely interesting. This is why I'd love to major in sociology. It's really interesting to hear other peoples opinions of certain topics.

Last edited by Karyn on 23rd March 2010, 4:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 23rd March 2010, 3:44 am

lol!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]i didnt even notice that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 23rd March 2010, 3:54 am

Cherry: extraordinary! wrote:lol!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]i didnt even notice that!

She could've at least used spell check before making such bold statements. She knew hella people were gonna have something to say about it lol. Jeez.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 23rd March 2010, 4:04 am

Some of her "points" (if thats what they should be called) were plain out ridiculous! Like the whole "im natural so i wont bathe" really?[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] What i want to know is who was she talking about. Naturals dont usually bash permies. I think she just talks to the wrong naturals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 23rd March 2010, 4:14 am

Cherry: extraordinary! wrote:Some of her "points" (if thats what they should be called) were plain out ridiculous! Like the whole "im natural so i wont bathe" really?[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] What i want to know is who was she talking about. Naturals dont usually bash permies. I think she just talks to the wrong naturals.

HAHA, yeah. Those points were just so..outrageous I chose to ignore them Razz

WHAT THE BUMBA IS SHE TALKING ABOUT?! She is a prime example of what
that lady is talking about lol. Just ridiculous. Yeah, some of it is
true, but [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Give me a break. She sounds crazy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 23rd March 2010, 4:28 am

Ohh so THATS who. . . LOL! So what is she talking about now? She keeps hopping from subject to subject so im kinda confused. Its like a youtube video war. Yes, it is sad, but its oh so entertaining. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] She also says that a degree of "the white mans standard" means nothing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] doesnt it mean you get a job?

Last edited by Cherry: extraordinary! on 23rd March 2010, 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 23rd March 2010, 5:12 am

I only watched about 5 minutes of it, but I totally get what the lady in the first video is saying. There are many naturals who get on their high horse and want to talk down to women who still get relaxers like we weren't in their shoes once. Yes, relaxers are chemicals that can cause lots of damage, but it's not our place to bash someone else because of their style choice.

I can also understand what the lady in the second video is saying...the two videos are not really related. She's talking more about the state of the black community and I have to agree with her. Black women are largely to blame. We have let go of our morals and values in order to "measure up" and our people have suffered because of it.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 23rd March 2010, 5:15 am

WOWWWWW. I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. I got so annoyed. This is ridiculous. Did you read the comments??? I get her point, but at the same time she sounds really ignant. Yes I said ignant. Not ignorant. But ignant. Your hairstyle is a choice. But when you learn and grow, is it your fault that you would want to bring others into the same knowledge as yourself. I don't think that's called bashing, but more of an attempt to enlighten. Furthermore, as much as she said she didn't want to be stereotyped, she sure did do alot of that herself. The generalization that all naturals are afrocentric, talk "white" (whatever that means), and date white husbands, but somehow want to prove their blackness was just too much for me to handle tonight. I'm going to sleep on this note. Smh. Bout to get my blood pressure up chile.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 23rd March 2010, 6:48 am

I know this is kind of long but i had a LOT on my mind:

The first video: I havent yet encountered a *natural hair nazi, but i think she was off with her image of naturals. One thing that caught me was when she said (paraphrasing) that "naturals arent natural if they dye their hair". She also says that (still paraphrasing) "braids and locks arent natural because they dont grow out of your head that way". Each person has their own definition of natural. One might say natural is "no chemicals at all" and someone else might say natural is "not changing the curl pattern". Someone else might say natural means "nothing but natural stuff in their LIFE". Eh everyones different. She also says her weave is her choice and that naturals link it to self hate or wanting to be white. I agree that it IS her choice and it isnt always self-hate related. Maybe she just likes her hair better that way.

The second video: I will admit, it DOES get on my nerves when some women say that a race as a whole are no good or whatever. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] You cant judge EVERYONE in a race like that. Everyone is different. Not EVERYONE can be the same way. Now she says that black men know that black women refuse to love themselves by wearing weaves. She also says that we are the problem BECAUSE weve changed to be what we THINK they want. The irony is, the more we change, the more we will have to change, to keep up with the images that we THINK they want (which in turn WILL be what they want because they are used to people believing it is beautiful). I agree with the booty-shakin on youtube [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ladies that has GOT to stop. She says that its good enough for other races but not us. This i disagree with. We, as LADIES need to stop all that. Ok, so another thing she says is that we should shut out European images (i.e. blacks with blonde weaves and light contacts) because they are not us (she calls them double agents). Honestly, im ok with them as long as they dont try to force blonde hair and light contacts on me.

Both of these ladies are talking about each other as if we are two different groups. Naturals vs. Permed/Weaved. The way i see it, we are ONE group (blacks) with MANY problems: hair, our position in the media, decrease of black communities and black owned business, lack of African culture, lack of knowledge OF Africa, our definition of beauty, the way other races see us, the way we THINK other races see us, the way we see ourselves, etcetera, etcetera. If we keep fighting and blaming each other, how will we solve our problems? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

*http://www.urbancurlz.com/2009/05/you-might-be-hair-nazi-when.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 23rd March 2010, 10:26 am

. .

My questions for you guys:
1.Do you think that lighter African-Americans are treated better than darker ones?
2. What do you think about the women who bleach their skin and their children?
3. Have you made fun of someone (or been made fun of) for being lighter/ darker?

(Feel free to add your stories, full opinions, and views of this video. You dont even have to answer the questions if you dont want to, i just want to hear your opinions.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 24th March 2010, 12:40 am

So in her other video, she says that Black women talk loud because we had to talk loud in the fields Shocked What "university" does she attend cuz I'm suing. See what happens as a result of No Child Left Behind?
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 24th March 2010, 12:44 am

My questions for you guys:
1.Do you think that lighter African-Americans are treated better than darker ones?
Yes, I'm perfectly aware of the fact that there are times when I have received preferential treatment because of my complexion. I've actually been told that outright. Does that fact disturb me? Yes.

2. What do you think about the women who bleach their skin and their children?
I think it's easy to point the finger and say she has a problem but what about women who get breast implants or cosmetic surgery? Same ice cream, different flavor.

3. Have you made fun of someone (or been made fun of) for being lighter/darker? Not consciously, I think as a child we used to make comments as a result of learned behavior. Truth is, I've always wanted to be darker.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next