CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Discussions

+35
CurlyCoCo
Iomer
MsJay1121
Curly_Aquarius
ChrsLvsBks
deeply_rooted_chick
RinnyU
BeautifullyFree
DvaAuNaturel
NubieNatty
CrissyQ
SheeTacular
snappynappy
LadyMika
Mz. Thang
drksista81
AdriEm
AfrikanLatina
MahoganyCurls
sweetdrk1
Erica5417
Janique
Spiralos
transitioning?
bholmes87
lexibugg004
TMS
lumii
popsbaby
tiashaunteé
Muz
Juices-n-Berries
LaToya28
Karyn
Cherry: extraordinary!
39 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Random Discussions - Page 3 Empty Re: Random Discussions

Post by tiashaunteé 25th March 2010, 4:30 pm

wow.....It seems like it is a serious issue.
Maybe it has a lot to do with the area in which one is raised. Right after Obama was elected I experienced racism and prejudice like never before. It still exists inside and outside of our race.

Cherry: there was nothing wrong with this topic. It is quite alright for us to discuss things outside of hair that can be fun topics or serious topics.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 25th March 2010, 5:58 pm

My two cents. I think one person , who shall remain nameless, must've experienced something to be so pissed about someone else's comments, thread and topic.

With that being said I will like to make a PSA to any future commentors.

"That particular behavior is not welcome on CN. As people we can disagree without being disagreeable. If you don't like things being peaceful and kind then feel free to exit stage left. And for the record we don't speak to Cherry, Karyn, or another person in that tone. EVER. Is that understood??"

Mother has spoken. Heed this word and peace will follow.

You may now go back to your scheduled programing.
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 25th March 2010, 6:11 pm

Erica5417 wrote:
lexibugg004 wrote:i this forum was once my only interaction with anyone black, outside of my immediate family!!! perticularly women.
PEACE!!!

The defense rests.

OMG! Are you for real? There's a little bug out there that is going to get a rude awakening one day and I would love to be that fly on the wall.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 25th March 2010, 6:23 pm

SheeTacular_Napps wrote:My two cents. I think one person , who shall remain nameless, must've experienced something to be so pissed about someone else's comments, thread and topic.

With that being said I will like to make a PSA to any future commentors.

"That particular behavior is not welcome on CN. As people we can disagree without being disagreeable. If you don't like things being peaceful and kind then feel free to exit stage left. And for the record we don't speak to Cherry, Karyn, or another person in that tone. EVER. Is that understood??"

Mother has spoken. Heed this word and peace will follow.

You may now go back to your scheduled programing.

Yes ma'am!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 25th March 2010, 6:58 pm

lmaooooo! first of all in the first vid..shaniqua jenkins went from talkin ig'nant to soundin like eartha kitt [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2nd video; salilo-quay johnson aka power to the people; i couldnt listen to her black panther rant for too long cuz i was still in between laughin at yall comments, lmaooo!!

i do LOOOOVE my fav movie school daze and this east coast-west coast beef needs to stop. i got hated on by my own peoples cuz im light skin..which i have NOTHIN to do with and for "sounding white" WTF is soundin white???? whew dont get me started. but yea...i love a great debate!! good job cherry.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 25th March 2010, 11:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Am I "that person"? I dont think so, but who knows? We are all adults/young adults here...but I guess some people want to be spoon fed little lies.

Some people are going to be in for a rude awakening.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 26th March 2010, 12:15 am

No snappy. You're not the person. Lol. That started before you even posted.

Anyways. Mama Shee has spoken. Case closed. Lol.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 26th March 2010, 11:31 pm

Interesting videos. The same videos were being discussed on naturallycurly.com and the discussion there was also very passionate. The young woman in the first video spoke so poorly and ranted on and on and on that I could no longer watch.

After a few minutes of watching the second video I had to stop. I did not think she was getting her points across clearly and that she must have just finished reading some type of "Black" conscious book or something.

@Cherry....you are an extraordinary young woman. I didn't truly become aware and discuss socially conscious issues until I was in college. You are ahead of your years. I thought it was a great discussion. You hit some nerves....keep doing you!

@SheeTacular_Napps and others. thanks for restoring order.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyFree 29th March 2010, 2:50 am

uuuum...i can't ...exiting stage right [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BeautifullyFree
BeautifullyFree

Back to top Go down

Post by RinnyU 29th March 2010, 3:03 am

The first woman is so...(sorry for the rudeness) - IGNORANT!
First she rants on about natural women being hypocrites/generalizing when she herself is a generalizing hypocrite.

Oh, so what? EVERY natural woman is Afrocentric or "down with the 'cause"? (not saying there's something wrong with that...).

And she says she's never heard a permed or weaved woman bashing a natural yet here she is!

Yes, SOME natural women do diss permed women, but plenty of naturals can honestly say permed women have bashed them in real life. Nonetheless for some one who hates generalizing so much she loves doing it!

And wtf did she mean by saying "Most natural women I know talk like [INSERT VALLEY GIRL VOICE HERE]". So talking with a high-pitched voice and proper respect for the English language = not black enough?

Wtf is she eluding to? That in order to be black you have to talk in Ebonics and insert a few crotch grabs while you're at it?

I didn't bother to watch any of the other videos because the first one fried some of my precious brain cells.
RinnyU
RinnyU

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 29th March 2010, 1:32 pm

1.Do you think that lighter African-Americans are treated better than darker ones? I'm light skinned and the only time I can remember that I have been treated better is by other African-Americans. And that is because they never made fun of my skin tone like they did to darker people.
2. What do you think about the women who bleach their skin and their children? I think it's stupid just like plastic surgery. God made us this way, and made no mistakes.
3. Have you made fun of someone (or been made fun of) for being lighter/ darker? Hell no. I'm black therefore why would I make fun of someone for being black? Not that I make fun of people for being any other kind of race, but it just shows how blacks can still be greatly insecure about ourselves by making fun of eachother for our beautiful differences.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Random Discussions - Page 3 Empty What is "natural"?

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 29th March 2010, 3:58 pm

Ok, since these discussions are still going on, i guess ill continue with videos. Since the other two videos were considered important issues i guess this post will be a "video discussion thread".

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by RinnyU 29th March 2010, 4:51 pm

*Face palm*

People seem to get confused on the term "NATURAL". When we say NATURAL we don't mean skipping out on showers, not shaving, not wearing make-up and not brushing your teeth. We mean not chemically altering the bonds in our hair.

Maybe there are some natural women out there who decided to go all out and stop bathing and shaving (lol) but for the majority of us when we say natural we mean NO ALTERING OF OUR HAIR PATTERN.

So yes, you can still have natural hair and wear contacts. I fail to see how wearing eye contacts will magically make your hair straight, thus making your hair unnatural.

Future reference: When we say "NATURAL" we usually mean "NATURAL HAIR" as in our god given hair.

I think for some unnatural women they use this argument as a means to excuse the fact they have perms which isn't even necessary.
RinnyU
RinnyU

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 31st March 2010, 7:29 pm

Just wanted to add this to the thred; I love the Boondocks although I don't watch it as much as I could and this was just fun:

http://nappyme.wordpress.com/afro-denial-and-ethono-ambiguo-hostility-syndrome-got-that/
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 1st April 2010, 12:15 pm

AdriEm wrote:Just wanted to add this to the thred; I love the Boondocks although I don't watch it as much as I could and this was just fun:

http://nappyme.wordpress.com/afro-denial-and-ethono-ambiguo-hostility-syndrome-got-that/

LMBO @ afro denial!

AFRO DENIAL: A psychological affliction where patients exhibit self-delusional behavior. Believing they have straight-flowing European supermodel-type hair. Thereby refusing to accet the coarseness and/or nappiness of their actual hair.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 1st April 2010, 1:48 pm

AdriEm wrote:Just wanted to add this to the thred; I love the Boondocks although I don't watch it as much as I could and this was just fun:

LMAO. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is why I love the Boondocks.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 1st April 2010, 2:56 pm

tiashauntee wrote:

LMBO @ afro denial!

AFRO DENIAL: A psychological affliction where patients exhibit self-delusional behavior. Believing they have straight-flowing European supermodel-type hair. Thereby refusing to accept the coarseness and/or nappiness of their actual hair.

Love it!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 1st April 2010, 3:26 pm

Oh this is why I LOVE this forum. I came in before laughed and left. Then I saw baby girl (yes I said babygirl she is 16 for goodness sake) apologizing on her thread and asked did I need to put on my black nail polish, of course she said no. She is such a lady, I love how she handles herself. Then I see MC comment about it again. So I start reading and I get mad, then Irate and then the curlfriend power activate! The way you all ran to cover the baby from the storm was commendable. Then here comes Moma Shee, and peace restored! WAIT it is not finished with out our local comedian! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] @ Nubie. I swear you all are like family! Love it!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Random Discussions - Page 3 Empty Black vs Biracial

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 19th April 2010, 3:26 pm

Let's say your taking a poll on different races. Let's also say that you have a black parent and a white parent. What do you check? Black? White? Multiracial? Now lets say you have a white parent and a half black/ half white parent. Black? White? Multiracial? What if one of your grandparents are half white/ half black, the other is white, they had a child (one of your parents) who had a child (you) with a white. Black? White? Biracial? Do we check the box based on our genes or just the way we think of ourselves? (the reason i ask-->click please)

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 3:35 pm

Cherry: extraordinary! wrote:
Let's say your taking a poll on different races. Let's also say that you have a black parent and a white parent. What do you check? Black? White? Multiracial? Now lets say you have a white parent and a half black/ half white parent. Black? White? Multiracial? What if one of your grandparents are half white/ half black, the other is white, they had a child (one of your parents) who had a child (you) with a white. Black? White? Biracial? Do we check the box based on our genes or just the way we think of ourselves? (the reason i ask-->click please)

I have always been told that you go by the race of your father. However, we all know that back in the day if one drop of blood in your body was black you were black regardless.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 19th April 2010, 3:43 pm

Interesting question, I asked my sons, 19 & 17, this some time ago. They said they check African American on forms. Their father is Hispanic. I asked them why, and they said they identify with the African American heritage more. I find that interesting since their dad has been and is a part of their lives. I guess it is because their dad listens to ethnic music and has an African American wife. I told my sons to check all that apply especially if it will help them attain a scholarship, grant, etc. They should not deny one race, IMO.

LOL at "Put a hoodie on him and have him walk down an alley, and see how biracial he is then," said McDowell, vice president of communications for the NAACP."
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 19th April 2010, 3:54 pm

In my opinion, and not to open a can of worms... but I think the whole concept of race should be done away with altogether. What does it really mean anyway. Black people aren't really black and white people aren't really white. Nobody is all anything anymore. I consider myself mixed too and both my parents are what you would call "black". However, my dad is African and my mom is black. And I consider those two different things. Now as ridiculous as that sounds, do you see how ridiculous these things can really get if you really wanna get technical??? The US is the only country that seems to make these distinctions. In other places, you are identified by your origin, ethnicity, tribe, or even just the country itself regardless of color. I think that until we eliminate the concept of race, we cannot eliminate racism.

Breaks out into MJ "If you're thinkin bout my baby, It don't matter if you're black or white!" I love that video btw...
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th April 2010, 3:59 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:In my opinion, and not to open a can of worms... but I think the whole concept of race should be done away with altogether. What does it really mean anyway. Black people aren't really black and white people aren't really white. Nobody is all anything anymore. I consider myself mixed too and both my parents are what you would call "black". However, my dad is African and my mom is black. And I consider those two different things. Now as ridiculous as that sounds, do you see how ridiculous these things can really get if you really wanna get technical??? The US is the only country that seems to make these distinctions. In other places, you are identified by your origin, ethnicity, tribe, or even just the country itself regardless of color. I think that until we eliminate the concept of race, we cannot eliminate racism.

Breaks out into MJ "If you're thinkin bout my baby, It don't matter if you're black or white!" I love that video btw...

Actually I agree with you. Everyone is so mixed up that box should just be labeled "human"

However, the health professional side of me understands the importance of race. Know your racial background helps with the identification of some illnesses that one may be suffering from. There are a number of disease that predominantly affect certain races.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 19th April 2010, 4:04 pm

It just irritates me how some people just have to ask me "What are you?" and my reply is "Monique, a woman." lol but I see where yall are coming from though....
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 19th April 2010, 4:11 pm

Hmmm... fascinating.... the box checking was always easy for me, but for my husband and any future children, not so much. My husband is Guyanese, and when it comes to "box checking" he's Latino on some surveys, Black on others.... LOL
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next