CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you if your doesn't like oils?

4 posters

Go down

How do you if your doesn't like oils? Empty How do you if your doesn't like oils?

Post by Mrsafro 15th March 2010, 5:08 pm

Hi....

I'm kind of stuck right now...
I use an oil and water mixture (avocado oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, water and vitamin E) and use pure Shea butter for my hair but my hair still seems dry ... I'm not starting to think that my hair doesn't like oils but I don't know ... it acts the same with moisturisers.???

I don't want to overload my hair with products but moisture just rans away!

Any advice

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

How do you if your doesn't like oils? Empty Re: How do you if your doesn't like oils?

Post by tiashaunteé 15th March 2010, 5:43 pm

I was the similar to your present experience when I first started on my journey. I owe the change to weekly deep conditioning. Now my hair drinks up oils and butter. Before the oils and butter would just sit on top and I was still have a lot of breakage.
I also learned that less is more with my hair. So typically I DC for 30mins -hours(depending on the day) and then apply oil or shea butter. If I use both I have an oil mess and stained sheets, lol.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How do you if your doesn't like oils? Empty Re: How do you if your doesn't like oils?

Post by blondie 15th March 2010, 9:31 pm

You very well may have buildup. That could cause dryness. Are the products you use silicone laden??
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyswan 16th March 2010, 12:57 pm

I've noticed that my hair prefers shea butter over oil(s). I moreso use coconut oil as a standby product. For instance, I may mix a little coconut oil with Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in or if I use KCKT without the coconut oil, I may have to use a little coconut oil to smooth over my twists as I unravel them in the morning to add a little shine. I just don't use oil on my scalp to moisturize as it doesn't seem to last as long as the shea butter. Shea butter seems to absorb more into my scalp and on my ends when sealing vs. coconut oil. Basically, the coconut oil isn't moisturizing enough for my hair.

I haven't tried any other oils to see if I would get different results but that's mostly b/c the shea seems to get the job done for me.
curlyswan
curlyswan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 17th March 2010, 3:42 pm

Hi... Sorry for the late reply

@ Tiashauntee...
Yh I keep using both.. but i find that the shea butter makes my hair go hard ... i dunno if its because of the weather here.

@Blondie
No i dont use silicon products.. just pure oils and pure shea butter.. to avoid build up i try and co-wash every few days and shampoo when needed which is usually 10 -14 days

I only BC'd a month ago so maybe my hair is still adapting

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down