CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning with NO IDEA where to start

+8
MaNesha
msjnicole
Naturalin2010
PaganWifey
Skluffy101
Muz
modelnik
FidiBee
12 posters

Go down

Transitioning with NO IDEA where to start Empty Transitioning with NO IDEA where to start

Post by FidiBee 15th March 2010, 3:29 pm

Okay I have been dabbling and debating with going natural for a few years now, but I always get a good inch of new growth and my hair dries out, and I get severe breakage all over my head. Therefore I always get frustrated and after about 1 or 2 months I end up buying my perming cream and relaxing my roots.
The same thing happened a couple weeks ago and I just did it again. I didn't leave the relaxer in for to long so my roots are not completely straight but they are manageable again. But I'm really bored with my hair I do nothing to it besides straighten it and cut my bangs every so often. Also my hair doesn't grow very well and I think it is because of my relaxers. It always grows to just below my ears and starts breaking off.

So what I what I want to know now is how to start up a routine so that when my roots begin growing back again they won't be so difficult to manage.
FidiBee
FidiBee

http://fidibee.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Transitioning with NO IDEA where to start Empty Re: Transitioning with NO IDEA where to start

Post by modelnik 15th March 2010, 5:31 pm

OMG!
I was just about to write a post on this until I read yours. I am struggling too. Not so much Im ready to relax...but my new growth is so freakin dry and my scalp is itching GA-LORE...(smh) I just washed my hair Friday and I feel like I need to just run water through it today because my scalp just feels so itchy and irritated. I am struggling so far transition. Plus I have a pixie cut so its not too much I can do to it. I could use some advice as well

modelnik

Back to top Go down

Transitioning with NO IDEA where to start Empty Re: Transitioning with NO IDEA where to start

Post by Muz 15th March 2010, 5:50 pm

My hair used to do that too, which is why I thought I needed to have it relaxed to deal with it. I've found conditioner (or co-) washing to be the best thing EVER for my hair. Also, when I was relaxed I'd wash my hair every two weeks (or three), since I've decided to transition I've been washing it at least once a week. Now that I'm not afraid of water (LOL) I also let my hair hair dry most of the time. If I do use a drier it's a cool one.

So my advice is to start treating all of your hair like it's natural instead of like you used to when you were relaxed. If you've never co-washed, I recommend V05 Strawberries n Cream Conditioner (that stuff is the bomb), it smells good, and it will get your hair clean. I also like Castor Oil for sealing in the moisture after washing.

I do know that the longer I'd stretch out relaxers, the faster my hair would grow, now that I'm done getting relaxers, my hair is having a growing party. LOL

So in a nutshell here's my advice:

1. Co-Wash, or at the very least stay AWAY from shampoos with sulfates in them.

2. Let your hair air dry

3. Find a good oil to seal with after washing

4. low manipulation hair styles are your friend

5. Deep Condition EVERY week once a week

6. NEVER comb your hair while it's completely dry, make sure it's at least damp (it doesn't have to be SOAKING wet, but if your hair is like mine, a comb won't win that battle, either the comb will break or your hair will, and we don't want either to break) Smile

Also, Modelnik, you may want to try an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse. Take some Apple Cider Vinegar and mix it with three times as much water. Then pour that on your scalp and let it sit for a while, you can massage it to make sure it gets in there good, then rinse it out and condition as usual.

Last edited by Muz on 15th March 2010, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : said conditioners when i meant shampoos)
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modelnik 15th March 2010, 6:03 pm

@Muz Thank you!
I will try this tonight. Think I am going to go pick up some VO5 as well. I always hear about the ACV rinse but a little terrified of the though...but I think I can handle it...I just dont want my hair to drastically dry out...but I guess if I condition it after wards it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again!

modelnik

Back to top Go down

Post by Skluffy101 15th March 2010, 6:07 pm

You can also use tea tree oil to help with the itching Smile
oh and make sure your moisturizing products do not have any mineral oil, petroleum or anything like that.
Skluffy101
Skluffy101

Back to top Go down

Post by modelnik 15th March 2010, 6:13 pm

Yeah...I pretty much threw out all my products with mineral oil...that's why Im having such a hard time figuring out why my scalp is so itchy. I have this all natural oil that acts as a scalp exilir and it will help for the moment...before I know it, it's itching again. Even though I washed and DC Friday...tonight Im going to do a ACV rinse and co-wash cause I cant take it. Plus Im having a hard time remembering not to scratch my scalp with my finger nails [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...smh I'm just a mess. hehe

modelnik

Back to top Go down

Post by Skluffy101 15th March 2010, 7:16 pm

Maybe it is not all natural or you are allergic to something in it. What is the product?
Skluffy101
Skluffy101

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 7:21 pm

If you're transitioning don't be afraid of the water! It helps!
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 7:22 pm

modelnik wrote:Yeah...I pretty much threw out all my products with mineral oil...that's why Im having such a hard time figuring out why my scalp is so itchy. I have this all natural oil that acts as a scalp exilir and it will help for the moment...before I know it, it's itching again. Even though I washed and DC Friday...tonight Im going to do a ACV rinse and co-wash cause I cant take it. Plus Im having a hard time remembering not to scratch my scalp with my finger nails [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ...smh I'm just a mess. hehe

Did you clarify after ditching the mo products?
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by modelnik 15th March 2010, 9:04 pm

So I just did a ACV rinse and co washed...boy o boy...my scalp feels much better. Hope it lasts. @Skluffy101 I am using Treasured Locks Hair and Scalp Elixir. Ingredients Shea Butter Oil, Refined Grade A Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Golden Jojoba Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Unrefined Black Seed Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Essential Oils of Rosemary, Lavender and Premium Ylang Ylang, Vitamin E---I'm not allergic to any of this listed...I just think I needed to seriously clarify because after the acv rinse, condition..I used some of this on my scalp and it feels so much better.
@Paganwifey my hair and scalp is def enjoying the water.
Thanks Ladies.

modelnik

Back to top Go down

Post by FidiBee 18th March 2010, 3:03 pm

@Muzz thanks a lot I'm going try your tips asap
FidiBee
FidiBee

Back to top Go down

Post by FidiBee 18th March 2010, 3:11 pm

Is it suggested that I let my hair air dry? My hair has a tendency to get really dry and frizz up when I try to do that.
What should I put in my hair after the co-wash?
Should I ever use shampoo?
FidiBee
FidiBee

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 18th March 2010, 3:31 pm

Yes, you should let your hair air dry. As long as you don't touch it while you're drying it, it won't get frizzy. When I first started transitioning I'd put my hair in twists to dry like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lately if I haven't styled it I've been banding it to stretch the new growth, your permed hair will dry straight for the most part. I don't know if you have enough new growth to worry about banding, so I suggest twists or plaits to air dry. If you are in a rush, you can sit under a cool or warm hooded dryer.

After co-washing you should put in your leave-in conditioner of choice. My favorite method for moisturizing after washing is this one from BlackOnyx77 on YouTube