CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do i start?

3 posters

Go down

Where do i start? Empty Where do i start?

Post by TraciH 23rd December 2009, 3:17 pm

Hi everyone!!

Im new to this going natural thing. I have naturally curly hair but I have NEVER gotten a relaxer..ive pressed and gotten wash n sets. I also have dyed my hair. Thats when my hair started to get shorter...It used to be past my waist...i want my hair back so im gonna try to go natural without the heat. My hair is really dried out so the number one problem im going to have is keeping my hair mosturized. So where do i start? Can you help me?
TraciH
TraciH

https://www.facebook.com/traci.hill1

Back to top Go down

Where do i start? Empty Re: Where do i start?

Post by dajewel 23rd December 2009, 3:37 pm

welcome!! moisture is KEY, esp living in an area like the northeast. so, you want to introduce moisture at every state of your hair regime: pre-poo, shampoo, co-wash, dc, styling, daily moisture/sealing. also, try to keep your hair in protective styles as much as possible because: they help keep the hair moisturized, protect the hair from extreme weather, protect the ends, low maintenance which means less manipulation which means more hair growth.

my preference is to co-wash with natural/organic products. i shampoo when my hair tells me; the last time i shampoo'ed was nov 17th ish, and prolly won't do so again till the first couple of weeks of jan. my staple co-wash is aubrey organics honeysuckle rose condish and then i DC with evoo/evco mix. the mix is a God-sent because it helps keep my hair moisturized for DAYS. i use Giovanni 50:50 hydrating balance condish as a leave-in, and then two strand twist with my shea/aloe/evco/castor oil mix. i usually keep them in for about a week or two and co-wash with my hair in the twists cuz 1) helps with detangling, 2) helps me do my hair faster and 3) am simply lazy.

part of keeping hair healthy is stay away from heat styling tools as much as possible. i haven't blown dried or pressed my hair in over two years. my last relaxer was sometime in 2002/2003.

if you like to dye your hair, then you can use henna. it conditions and strengthens while depositing pigment over time.

what is your regimen? what products are you using?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by TraciH 23rd December 2009, 3:44 pm

thank you!

Im back to my natural black hair now so no more dyeing for me. I use african shea butter and coconut oil for my hair. as far as conditioner I use motions CPR which works well for me. Shampoo has been a challenge for me...i was using optimum with no results but im gonna try this new shampoo that I got from whole foods market.

I have never worn my hair out naturally because my curls were dry and undefined but im tired of the straigtening and heat damage. Im gonna give it a try.
TraciH
TraciH

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 23rd December 2009, 4:53 pm

keep us updated!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 30th December 2009, 1:10 pm

@TraciH: I think the Motions CPR conditioner is a protein treatment. You should also include a moisturizing deep conditioner like ORS Replenishing Pak or making your own DT. As much as I advised naturals to DC, I need to follow my own advice bc I'm too lazy to sit under my dryer. I'll just fall asleep anyway. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] As an alternative, I baggy my entire head before each cowash with olive oil and conditioner. I let that stay on my head for 30+ minutes. Following the rinse, I cowash and detangle wth VO5 Moisture Milks. I always use a creamy leave-in conditioner and then shingle my hair with Curls' Curl Souffle for added moisture. Lastly I TnC with a lil bit of Ecostyler gel and seal with my mix of whipped shea butter and jojoba oil. My hair is unbelievable soft after all of this and I add additional butter to my hair before I head to Dream Land each night.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by TraciH 30th December 2009, 1:48 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:@TraciH: I think the Motions CPR conditioner is a protein treatment. You should also include a moisturizing deep conditioner like ORS Replenishing Pak or making your own DT. As much as I advised naturals to DC, I need to follow my own advice bc I'm too lazy to sit under my dryer. I'll just fall asleep anyway. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] As an alternative, I baggy my entire head before each cowash with olive oil and conditioner. I let that stay on my head for 30+ minutes. Following the rinse, I cowash and detangle wth VO5 Moisture Milks. I always use a creamy leave-in conditioner and then shingle my hair with Curls' Curl Souffle for added moisture. Lastly I TnC with a lil bit of Ecostyler gel and seal with my mix of whipped shea butter and jojoba oil. My hair is unbelievable soft after all of this and I add additional butter to my hair before I head to Dream Land each night.

Thank you...That sounds like alot of work but I'll find a routine. I just washed my hair today with aussie moist shampoo and cpr. I didnt need a detangler which was a first for me. my hair was easy to get through. I put some coconut oil on it and braided it b/c im going out for new year 2morrow. We'll see how it turns out...i'll post some pics.
TraciH
TraciH

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 31st December 2009, 3:07 pm

Transitioning to natural has been work for me. It takes about 2 hrs for me to complete my hair and that's w/o any heat. I follow my routine at least twice a week but my style usually lasts me 4 days yet I may refresh in between.

I've been wanting to try the Aussie Moist conditioner. The scent is lovely. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I definitely want to see your pics, so please post them. Have a Happy and safe New Year's Eve.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down