CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In?

+10
tspoons
curlyq145
ChrsLvsBks
Curl-a-licious
nmoultry
Lynnieluve
svrbrownsuga
NaturalNurse04
dajewel
ktoliver5303
14 posters

Go down

What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In? Empty What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In?

Post by ktoliver5303 28th October 2009, 8:21 am

I am newly stepping into the natural scene and loving it! I had my BC September 10, 2009 and my last perm was June 3, 2009. I see that there are different hair types. I THINK I am a 4a/b, but I really don't know. I currently am in Iraq working and this is the place is SUPER DRY. I have made a major collection of products for myself, but some make my hair even dryer than I started I am realizing that my hair is starting to shed and now I am getting scared. I also see how wonderful and healthy peoples hair look and I am getting really discouraged. I don't want to pile product on my hair so I NEED HELP!!!

What is a good nightly routine ( I go to bed with my hair moist and wake up DRY! Even with a satin scarf)?
What can I do in the morning?
Should I moisture during the day?

Once again Please help!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In? Empty Re: What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In?

Post by dajewel 28th October 2009, 11:42 am

hello!!! congrats on your BC!!!! i love the texture of your hair!!!

how often are you shampooing in your hair? what product are using? products with sulfates are usually drying to our type of hair. i would eliminate products with sulfates, and focus on using gentle cleansers. i would also co-wash, as co-washing cleanses the hair while add/keeping moisture in your hair. some good conditioners members co-wash with are giovanni, herbal essence (totally twisted, hello hydration and long hair therapy0, V05, aubrey organics, kiss my face, alba, etc. different people co-wash their hair less or more than others. this will come with experimenting. some co-wash every day, some co-wash 2-4x a week and some co-wash 1x, etc. after co-wash, you can style with a live-in moisturizer, conditioner or some type of moisturizer. make sure it is water-based. after styling seal with EVCO, shea, etc. you can follow-up daily moisturizing with moisturizer and sealant as needed.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In? Empty Re: What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In?

Post by ktoliver5303 28th October 2009, 4:46 pm

WOW!! THANK YOU DAJEWEL!!

Because I am in Iraq, the desert is HARD on my hair. I dont co wash as often as I should. I do it maybe once a week, and then wash every week. I have to because the dust is baby powder fine and sticks to litterally every stran of hair on your body.. I do not style that much because it takes so long with my hair being short. I was told by my mother (which is a beautician) that I should use Selsun Blue because my scalp itches SO BAD! So i mixed castor oil with that and do one wash with it, then I back it up with Oyin Homemade Head to Toe shampoo, and then mix the Honey Hemp conditioner with castor oil and let it sit for about 30 min.. Then rinse it out. After that I am at a loss. I have SOOO many products and I use it and wake up with my hair SUPER DRY! I will look into the sealing products you refered me too. Do you have any tips for night time care?
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 28th October 2009, 10:58 pm

hmm, i sleep with a satin pillow case, and that has really helped me in maintaining moisture in my hair! sometimes, i also wear a silk head wrap. i really think maybe you need to up the co-washing to twice a week?? maybe you can co-wash, rinse and then add a little conditioner and let sit while you bath. and then partially rinse with a cool/cold water. that is what i am doing right now, and its fantastic in keeping my hair moisturized!! i co-washed this past Saturday, did a little moisturizing/sealing on Sunday to be sure, and i haven't had to moisturize since. i am using Giovanni 50:50 to do this.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNurse04 29th October 2009, 9:57 pm

I was having problems with my hair drying out by the end of the day and I started adding oil to my hair after my leave in conditioner. It has really made a difference. When I do my wash and go's now I will wet my hair, apply a leave in conditioner (I use Giovanni Direct Leave In, Abba Leave In, or KBB Hair milk or nectar), then I will apply castor oil or jojoba oil over the leave in. I just pour some in my hands and put it in my hair to seal in the moisture from my leave in conditioner. Then I will apply my styler (which differs depending on how I'm feeling that day or whatever I grab from under the counter). Since I started doing this I have been able to achieve 2nd and 3rd day hair. Now if I could find a way to sleep on my face so that my hair wouldn't be so flat when I wake up, I could probably have 4th and 5th day hair. HTH!
NaturalNurse04
NaturalNurse04

Back to top Go down

Post by svrbrownsuga 31st October 2009, 11:16 pm

NaturalNurse04 wrote:
I was having problems with my hair drying out by the end of the day and I started adding oil to my hair after my leave in conditioner. It has really made a difference. When I do my wash and go's now I will wet my hair, apply a leave in conditioner (I use Giovanni Direct Leave In, Abba Leave In, or KBB Hair milk or nectar), then I will apply castor oil or jojoba oil over the leave in. I just pour some in my hands and put it in my hair to seal in the moisture from my leave in conditioner. Then I will apply my styler (which differs depending on how I'm feeling that day or whatever I grab from under the counter). Since I started doing this I have been able to achieve 2nd and 3rd day hair. Now if I could find a way to sleep on my face so that my hair wouldn't be so flat when I wake up, I could probably have 4th and 5th day hair. HTH!

I so agree NaturalNurse! I do the same thing except for a leave in I use shea moisture leave in or giovanni direct leave (same as u [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) I then apply castor oil and my styling aid. I do wake up with flat curlies but hey we will get it together some day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
svrbrownsuga
svrbrownsuga

http://www.fotki.com/svrbrownsuga

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd November 2009, 12:39 am

I recently started doing oil rinses and what a difference it has made! When I shampoo, I shampoo first,then apply olive oil before I apply my rinse out conditioner. If I co wash, I rinse my hair first, then apply the oil before my rinse out conditioner. Like the other ladies have mentioned, I also seal with oil after my leave in conditioner. My leave in is Giovanni Direct leave in and I seal with coconut oil. HTH!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd November 2009, 12:43 am

Oh and another method (I haven't tried it yet) is the baggy method. You moisturize your hair before bed and sleep with a shower cap/plastic shopping bag on your head. Hopefully someone who has tried it will chime in and share their experience with this method.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 2nd November 2009, 9:53 am

Lynnieluve wrote:Oh and another method (I haven't tried it yet) is the baggy method. You moisturize your hair before bed and sleep with a shower cap/plastic shopping bag on your head. Hopefully someone who has tried it will chime in and share their experience with this method.

I have tried the baggy method and it works great. I sleep in Ojon restorative treatment (basically palm oil) and I wake up the next morning and co-wash. It's AMAZING!! I still style with a leave in and seal my ends with coconut oil or mango butter. Hair is super soft n shiny!!! Try it, it's addictive [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 2nd November 2009, 12:44 pm

nmoultry wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:Oh and another method (I haven't tried it yet) is the baggy method. You moisturize your hair before bed and sleep with a shower cap/plastic shopping bag on your head. Hopefully someone who has tried it will chime in and share their experience with this method.

I have tried the baggy method and it works great. I sleep in Ojon restorative treatment (basically palm oil) and I wake up the next morning and co-wash. It's AMAZING!! I still style with a leave in and seal my ends with coconut oil or mango butter. Hair is super soft n shiny!!! Try it, it's addictive [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

really?? am scared to try it because of the possible mess as i sleep??
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Curl-a-licious 6th November 2009, 4:11 pm

You girls are too much! I'm learning so much from every single things your saying. But how about the timeline? is it shampoo, then oil, then rinse the oil out or just leave it in and add the conditioner then rinse then add the leave-in. Do you wait a while before adding the oil or do you do that immediately?

BTW, two strand twist ia a great hairstyle. You can leave the twist in for 5 days [keep moisturising] then let them loose!

Bantu knots ia a really good nightly routine. You'll get a style and a good sleeping hairstyle. With a scarf no problems.

Ktoliver I know that you know thatI know that your hir needs moisturizer like there is no tomorrow, you should Deep Condition your hair. You dont need the heat but you might need to stay longer with it. Anyone can correct me on that one. I believe that I read this somewhere that you can use a really good conditioner [not expensive wise but good to your hair wise] And use that with the baggy method and you should be fine!

The baggy method is just putting a bag over your head <- someone could correct me on that on too

Dajewel
All you need to do is put on the bag, close it then pull out a scarf or something to wrap the bag edges tightly and you should be fine.

I hope this helps!
Curl-a-licious
Curl-a-licious

http://beyond-the-epidermis.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In? Empty Deep Conditioning and Emollients May Help

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th November 2009, 5:30 pm

I suggest deep conditioning at least twice a week. Conditioners with emollients (help prevent water loss) will help or add your own emollients to existing conditioners. Some emollients are castor, jojoba and almond oils. Since you do not have the time to co-wash often, this may help retain moisture. You can apply a thick, creamy conditioner to your hair before you go to sleep. You can try it with dry hair for a week or two and then with wet hair another week or two to see if there is a difference. Instead of rinsing it all out, rinse some of it then apply a bit more if hair does not feel moisturized.

I also love oil rinses and pre-pooing. I will apply oil over my entire head then sleep in a shopping bag and satin bonnet. I use EVOO, coconut oil, castor oil and other oils I have in the house. I will then co-wash in the morning or simply rinse off the oil. No, I have not noticed my plumbing clogging, thank goodness. If I do not simply rinse the oil, I will co-wash after I rinse. I sometimes put in some glycerin, agave nectar or honey (humectants). I would not suggest using any humectant since you are in the desert.

Oh, another idea is to check your ingredients. Perhaps there are some with glycerin. Glycerin is a humectant. Humectants can be good in dew points around 40 but not so good in low or high dews. Your hair's moisture will be drawn out during low and high dews.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 18th November 2009, 10:41 pm

WOW! I really learn a lot from reading all of your answers! Thanks for sharing!
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

What Hair Type and I and How to Keep Moisture In? Empty Luvin' this forum!

Post by tspoons 23rd November 2009, 4:56 pm

Thanx for the question ktoliver5303! And thanx for all of the answers ladies!! This has been very helpful, bout to go cowash
the hair right now!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tspoons
tspoons

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 27th November 2009, 6:13 pm

dajewel wrote:
nmoultry wrote:

really?? am scared to try it because of the possible mess as i sleep??

I do the baggy method....and ur right it is a mess..BUT IT REALLY MOISTURIZES...
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 27th November 2009, 6:26 pm

Thanks ladies! I'm gonna try the baggy method tomorrow. And ChrsLvsBks YOUR hair is GAWJUS! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 1st December 2009, 5:38 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I suggest deep conditioning at least twice a week. Conditioners with emollients (help prevent water loss) will help or add your own emollients to existing conditioners. Some emollients are castor, jojoba and almond oils. Since you do not have the time to co-wash often, this may help retain moisture. You can apply a thick, creamy conditioner to your hair before you go to sleep. You can try it with dry hair for a week or two and then with wet hair another week or two to see if there is a difference. Instead of rinsing it all out, rinse some of it then apply a bit more if hair does not feel moisturized.

I also love oil rinses and pre-pooing. I will apply oil over my entire head then sleep in a shopping bag and satin bonnet. I use EVOO, coconut oil, castor oil and other oils I have in the house. I will then co-wash in the morning or simply rinse off the oil. No, I have not noticed my plumbing clogging, thank goodness. If I do not simply rinse the oil, I will co-wash after I rinse. I sometimes put in some glycerin, agave nectar or honey (humectants). I would not suggest using any humectant since you are in the desert.

Oh, another idea is to check your ingredients. Perhaps there are some with glycerin. Glycerin is a humectant. Humectants can be good in dew points around 40 but not so good in low or high dews. Your hair's moisture will be drawn out during low and high dews.
Thank you so much for the dew point and glycerin info. That could explain why my hair has been dry.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 21st January 2010, 12:21 am

I loooved doing the baggy method. Last winter I was wearing wigs and I would and have it going on underneath all day, come home, go to sleep and in the morning hello wig!! I used a plastic cap then a wig cap followed by one of those hair nets you can tie so I was very secure under the wig not to mention warm. I would leave this a few days in a row then co wash and start over. It was grrrrrrreat the wig acted as a heating cap,and was there GROWTH yes!!! and lots of it, this has allowed my edges to grow in as well. Mind you I did this shortly after my BC so my hair was not big and the wig fit nicely over it. This was my winter gig it gave my hair rest and protection.

naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down