CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic

4 posters

Go down

Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic Empty Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic

Post by luvaffairwithbighair 12th March 2010, 2:37 pm

Hello Ladies,

Currently, I'm transitioning to natural after having a relaxer for nearly all of my life. I am very active and visit the gym about 4 to 5 times a week. So far, flexirod sets have been my go to transitioning style, but I've found that with my workout regimen, my hair is very dry, I have alot of build up, and I have to wash my hair more frequently. Any suggestions on a transition style that would be more conducive to my exercise routine or requires less maintenance??

Thanks ladies,

Luvaffairwithbighair

luvaffairwithbighair

Back to top Go down

Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic Empty Re: Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic

Post by jamaicanmecurly 12th March 2010, 5:21 pm

I'm actually BC'ing tomorrow but I found flat twist outs to work really well.
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic Empty Re: Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic

Post by ttown 5th July 2010, 8:13 pm

Funny -I just posted the same thing on another part of the forum. I'm still trying to figure out a regimen that works for me, but I am washing and rinsing more often to get the sweat and salt out of my hair. I'm also doing a long transition, so right now, I'm rinsing after pretty much every session b/c I sweat a lot and do a pretty heavy workout. As for washing maybe 1-2 times per week and a heavy conditioner -- they letting it air dry -- I do this at night and style it the next morning. In between I'm using jojoba oil and olive oil to keep it moisturized. I'm also moving in the direction of more curly styles b/c its just easier with the summer heat and I'm just tired of fighting with my hair.

Is there anything that's working for you?

T

ttown

Back to top Go down

Transition Styles for a Gym Fanatic Empty My gym/work transition style

Post by luvaffairwithbighair 10th July 2010, 1:07 pm

So far I tried two different styles. I tried wearing my hair with a part, and two french rolls going back into a ponytail. I like this style because my job is ultra conservative (atty at a law firm), and it gives me a polished look. Also when I do the rolls, it conceals my relaxed ends and makes me look completely natural. It's also easy to leave my hair like this to work out. Once I'm finished, I just part my hair down the middle, co-wash, braid each section then air dry. I can easily restyle in the morning and I'm off.

Recently, I tried a perm rod set with small rollers to see if that type of set would fare better than a flexirod set. I had no luck with that. The sweat from my workouts meant poofy roots and super coiled relaxed ends. As a result I had to work my set into a pony/pinned up do to make it presentable. I can already tell though that detangling will be a disaster.

I've been transitioning for about 9 months now so my new growth just isn't cooperating with the set, especially because of the workouts and the heat/humidity of the summer. I may venture into flat twistout land if I can create a style from the twistout that would be conservative for work.

By far, the french roll pony tail works best for me. It's easy to rid my hair of excess build up when I need to and I can style my hair easily in the morning. I just have to be conscious of making sure my hair stays properly moisturized. To glam up the look after work, I like to use decorative headbands, jeweled ponytail clips and hair pins.

What forum did you post your thread in? I'd like to see what responses you got.

Happy styling,

luvaffairwithbighair

luvaffairwithbighair

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 13th July 2010, 1:25 pm

You might try putting a deep conditioner like "Olive Oil root stimulator" in your hair just before exercising. I like to put this product on then, cover my hair with a plastic cap, and a head scarf. After working out for an hour and a half, I just wash, style, and go.

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down