CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut Oil Question

+6
SimplyShainee
PaganWifey
knatural
naturallyme09
ChrsLvsBks
KreyolKatt
10 posters

Go down

Coconut Oil Question Empty Coconut Oil Question

Post by KreyolKatt 12th March 2010, 11:05 am

I just went through my first jar of coconut oil. It was the NOW Personal Care brand and it said 100% Pure Coconut Oil on the jar ( loved it). A week ago I mentioned to my Sister-in-law that I was running out and she got me a new jar. This one is Spectrum brand Virgin Coconut Oil ( it also say expeller pressed ad organic on it). So my question is, are they the same thing? I'm kinda hesitant b/c the NOW jar specifically said for hair and skin while the Spectrum brand talks about putting in an upside-down pineapple cake or Malaysian saute and using it at medium heat (280 degrees F)... plus it smells really good ( like almond joy candy Smile. Can somebody help me out? It it ok to use? Normally I have no problem using things from my kitchen ( EVOO, Honey).. but I just wanna have somebody clarify the difference b/t Virgin, Extra Virgin, 100% pure, unrefined and so on. ( which one should I put in my hair) Thanks Ladies
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Coconut Oil Question Empty Re: Coconut Oil Question

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th March 2010, 1:00 pm

It is okay to use it. I have used Spectrum before. I like it because it comes in a dark container. I now have the NOW brand, less expensive.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 12th March 2010, 1:34 pm

KreyolKatt wrote:I just went through my first jar of coconut oil. It was the NOW Personal Care brand and it said 100% Pure Coconut Oil on the jar ( loved it). A week ago I mentioned to my Sister-in-law that I was running out and she got me a new jar. This one is Spectrum brand Virgin Coconut Oil ( it also say expeller pressed ad organic on it). So my question is, are they the same thing? I'm kinda hesitant b/c the NOW jar specifically said for hair and skin while the Spectrum brand talks about putting in an upside-down pineapple cake or Malaysian saute and using it at medium heat (280 degrees F)... plus it smells really good ( like almond joy candy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. Can somebody help me out? It it ok to use? Normally I have no problem using things from my kitchen ( EVOO, Honey).. but I just wanna have somebody clarify the difference b/t Virgin, Extra Virgin, 100% pure, unrefined and so on. ( which one should I put in my hair) Thanks Ladies

Personally I use organic, unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. Based on my research is has the most nutrients
Check out this webiste http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/unrefined-coconut-oil.html
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 12th March 2010, 4:23 pm

Thanks guys! It can be hard maneuvering the lingo. That article was even helpful b/c it included what 100% Pure means. Good stuff Smile I'll be using it to seal the end of my twists in a few Smile
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by knatural 15th March 2010, 3:41 pm

Wal-mart also sells a brand by Spring Valley. It costs about $10.00 for 12 oz. It is extra virgin coconut oil. It is in the vitamin section. It is very light and smells really yummy. I've used it alone and mixed with shea butter.
knatural
knatural

http://knaturalandknit.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 7:51 pm

*shrug* I've always used Louana!
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 15th March 2010, 8:23 pm

Thanks knatural! Anything that I don't have to order and wait for is alright with me!!!! I'll try that one next go-round

PaganWifey, I've never heard of Louana before. Where do I get it? Any pros/cons I should know about? Thanks.
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 8:30 pm

http://www.louana.com/oils.cfm

It's not organic but it performs well from my viewpoint. I like it because it's easy to find and with moving to and fro it's nice to be able to find all my products.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyShainee 15th March 2010, 8:40 pm

I have Spectrum 'organic unrefined' coconut oil, my jar says "perfect for skin and hair care"; and so far so good. I got it at a whole foods store. It works pretty well, so you should be just fine with your version of it too [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SimplyShainee

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 24th April 2010, 1:08 pm

ok- I was able to find the coconut oil. Can someone share with me the benefits and uses for coconut oil?
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th April 2010, 10:27 pm

I believe tiashauntee has posted in her BnB thread information on this and you can also find some information here. I just did a google search on benefits of coconut oil on hair....HTH

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=benefits+of+coconut+oil+on+hair&aq=6&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=benefits+of+cocon&gs_rfai=
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 9th May 2010, 10:26 pm

I have been using the Spectrum Virgin Coconut oil and I really like. It really is the only oil that keeps my hair soft and i have coarse 4B hair and it works and a little goes a long way...
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 10th May 2010, 8:51 am

I need to get some coconut oil for my shea butter mix as well....thanks for the reviews ladies!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down