CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is coconut milk or coconut oil better for deep conditioning?

+4
wyldhoney
ChrsLvsBks
vovowiththafro
JazmineB
8 posters

Go down

Is coconut milk or coconut oil better for deep conditioning? Empty Is coconut milk or coconut oil better for deep conditioning?

Post by JazmineB 7th June 2010, 10:46 pm

Does anyone know the difference between deep conditioning with coconut milk and coconut oil? I hear most people talk about coconut oil, but I used it before and it smelled horrible to me. I'm hoping I can get the same effect using the milk, and it won't smell as bad. Maybe I just bought an old jar of oil or something, but I can't stand the smell of coconut oil and refuse to buy more. What do you think?
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Is coconut milk or coconut oil better for deep conditioning? Empty Re: Is coconut milk or coconut oil better for deep conditioning?

Post by vovowiththafro 7th June 2010, 11:58 pm

Coconut milk has moisturizing effects while adding protein to your hair. Coconut oil seems to only moisturize the hair so depending on whether your hair does or does not like protein should dictate whether you use coconut oil or coconut milk. Coconut milk may stregnthen hair, minimizes breakage and may improve hair growth. It also is said to protect your scalp and hair from UV rays.
vovowiththafro
vovowiththafro

Back to top Go down

Is coconut milk or coconut oil better for deep conditioning? Empty Re: Is coconut milk or coconut oil better for deep conditioning?

Post by JazmineB 8th June 2010, 12:42 am

thanks! I think i will use the milk, or maybe creamed coconut, which is apparently the same as the milk but less watery(I just heard of it online). Now I just need to find a store that sells coconut cream. =]
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th June 2010, 9:43 am

JazmineB wrote:thanks! I think i will use the milk, or maybe creamed coconut, which is apparently the same as the milk but less watery(I just heard of it online). Now I just need to find a store that sells coconut cream. =]
I suggest ethnic stores that cater to Africans, Latinos/Hispanics or Indians.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vovowiththafro 8th June 2010, 9:47 am

Your welcome! Good luck!
vovowiththafro
vovowiththafro

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 8th June 2010, 3:00 pm

Hello,

I've been lurking for a LONG time but since I've got a good (enough) system down for my hair I feel qualified to comment!

Virgin coconut oil, which is what most people buy, is solid at room temps and has that coconut SMELL that knocks you off your feet. Regular coconut oil for cooking (I buy mine at the supermarket) has been deodorised to remove the smell.

I do my DC's with it, and use it to seal my ends and remove my twistouts, and I find it EXTREMELY moisturising, it reduces frizz like woah and it even helps with shrinkage (a major deal because I live in the Caribbean).

So if you can't stand the stink of cold pressed Coconut oil, just get the regular kind from the grocery and you won't have a problem.

HTH
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 8th June 2010, 6:50 pm

I've read that coconut milk can relax your curls some, so they stretch out. If you try the milk, can you let us know if that is true?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 10th June 2010, 12:02 am

thank you! So expeller pressed oil doesn't smell as bad as cold pressed? I might try coconut oil that isn't cold pressed next time if I use the oil.

HappyCurly, I have never heard that before. I just looked it up and here is what I found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9FayiTFqW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP7ggaqDwks

from what ive heard, it doesnt change your hair texture very much but it makes it softer and more manageable. I really like how in the last video link the girl's curls were more defined.

wow I might really have to try that now. Thanks for the info!
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazelbabe 10th June 2010, 3:34 pm

I have a can of coconut milk that I plan on using once I take my box braids out. I've read that it's suppose to moisturize and has some protein properties as well. I'm hoping not much protein cause I'm looking for a good moisturizing deep conditioner. I haven't tried coconut oil, but I really want to get some.
Hazelbabe
Hazelbabe

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 10th June 2010, 8:35 pm

yeah , the coconut oil i got from the supermarket isn't extra virgin. it doesn't smell at all like a coconut. it almost has a clean fresh scent to it, or sometimes no scent at all.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 10th June 2010, 11:16 pm

HappyCurly wrote:I've read that coconut milk can relax your curls some, so they stretch out. If you try the milk, can you let us know if that is true?

I have used it before and it does add softness and sheen to the hair. My hair is always acting out so I could not tell if the "curls" loosened any. I have used it in a henna mix before and alone as a deep conditioner. I got mine at an Asian store for 33 cents a can. At Wal-Mart and Dillons/Krogers it was 1.79 a can.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 30th July 2010, 8:39 pm

This is just a plain can of coconut milk from the grocery store? COOL!! I have some of that!!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 31st July 2010, 1:29 pm

HappyCurly wrote:I've read that coconut milk can relax your curls some, so they stretch out. If you try the milk, can you let us know if that is true?

Hey HappyCurly

I didn't try coconut milk, but I bought some coconut cream, which is like the milk but much more concentrated. I used it with yogurt and coconut oil, the same recipe from the "coconut cream natural relaxer video" on youtube. I tried it because I heard it would make detangling go much faster. My results were that my curls stretched out initially when I put it on but bounced back as soon as I rinsed it out, and it did not help in making detangling go by faster. And it took a lot of work to wash it out. The only thing it did was make my hair really soft. I don't think I would use it again, because its a lot of mess and not much results. I think I'm just going to stick with my old deep conditioner mixed with coconut oil next time. =]
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 30th September 2010, 6:12 pm

How did you DC with the coconut milk? I wouldn't think you can use heat.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down